Teddy Atlas “Canelo is Overrated” 2X Heavyweight Champion of the World Responds

Canelo definitely became overrated when he cleared out 168. I'm sure everyone remembers the "this version of Canelo beats Usyk" talk. People couldn't stop talking about how much he had improved since Floyd, but then he got schooled by Bivol. Not to mention he was favored to easily win his last three fights by knockout, but didn't come close once.

Canelo is a great fighter. In terms of accomplishments he's probably one of the best. But in terms of skill, he's not even close to the best fighters of his era.

Better than Sr.? I don't know, I was never a chavez fan but looking back the guy was a monster. Never liked how he'd get blasted by a lot of guys who shouldn't have been hitting a fighter of his calibre, but what did it matter, he always took them out until he started to slip. In retrospect, after hearing rumors, they say he went a bit party crazy after the Camacho fight and it's believable because his whole attitude changed while his performances suffered. It was the opposite actually of what a lot of fighters go through. Most young fighters are overconfident and arrogant and humble after they face the attritions of the sport, Chavez was humble and hardworking until being treated like a god in mexico got to him. Heck of a resume across several divisions.

Canelo? Honestly, haven't seen much, saw the Mayweather fight but todays boxing is a different sport. You say tomato I say to-mato. It's not the same.
give his fight with Danny Jacobs a watch if you wanna see Canelo doing his best version of a slick mover a la Whittaker, Mayweather or Lomachenko. he shows great head and upper body movement defensively and made Jacobs miss a lot while landing excellent counters.
i wish Canelo fought with more elements of this style rather than the strictly lower volume stalking counterpuncher he has evolved into.

Teddy is a goofball, always trying to have the most provocative take to get people to pay attention to him. He's become a mockery of himself.

Canelo is one of the best mexicans boxers in history whether Teddy approves or not.

My understanding from watching Teddy's YouTube show is that he agrees that Canelo is one of the best Mexican boxers in history, where he gets mad and what he doesn't like is people saying Canelo is the greatest Mexican fighter of all time. Teddy strongly disagrees with that and has a handful of legends he puts in front of Canelo. He says every generation wants their guy to be the greatest ever so they can say they were there during the greatest era, but to Teddy, Canelo is not that.

Teddy is correct. You can still be overrated and one of the best Mexican boxers of all time.

Exactly, both things can be correct. Canelo is an amazing boxer, and one of the best active today, but you could also argue he is overrated because a lot of people argue that he is the greatest Mexican fighter, or one of the best fighters to ever do it, when in reality, being the "most popular" doesn't necessarily translate to being "the best".

My understanding from watching Teddy's YouTube show is that he agrees that Canelo is one of the best Mexican boxers in history, where he gets mad and what he doesn't like is people saying Canelo is the greatest Mexican fighter of all time. Teddy strongly disagrees with that and has a handful of legends he puts in front of Canelo. He says every generation wants their guy to be the greatest ever so they can say they were there during the greatest era, but to Teddy, Canelo is not that.

Exactly, both things can be correct. Canelo is an amazing boxer, and one of the best active today, but you could also argue he is overrated because a lot of people argue that he is the greatest Mexican fighter, or one of the best fighters to ever do it, when in reality, being the "most popular" doesn't necessarily translate to being "the best".
The thing is Teddy is doing exactly what you say he thinks others are doing. Canelo's resume is very good and I can't think of any mexican who clearly has a better resume. Teddy is just upset that some guy he likes to watch is being overtaken by someone from the modern era.
This is just Teddy's game, pick what ever is making headlines and make up some ridiculous hot take to get people talking about him. He's literally always been that guy, be it as a cornerman, color commentator or guy making a podcast he's trying to get people to watch. I thought when he got fired from ESPN he would have realized people were sick of his bullshit.

The thing is Teddy is doing exactly what you say he thinks others are doing. Canelo's resume is very good and I can't think of any mexican who clearly has a better resume. Teddy is just upset that some guy he likes to watch is being overtaken by someone from the modern era.
This is just Teddy's game, pick what ever is making headlines and make up some ridiculous hot take to get people talking about him. He's literally always been that guy, be it as a cornerman, color commentator or guy making a podcast he's trying to get people to watch. I thought when he got fired from ESPN he would have realized people were sick of his bullshit.

Yeah, the irony of what Teddy was saying isn't lost on me. I started getting casually back into boxing a year or so ago, and have started following all the boxing World Title fights over the last few months, so I can't really speak to the accuracy of his statements. I personally like Canelo, I like Canelo fight weeks, I can kind of understand why some people will say he's overrated though. He's hyped to the moon (as he should be), but his performances after the Billy Joe Saunders fight haven't lived up to the type of hype they've been pushing, in my opinion.

I'll be honest I see it going the exact same way. Unless it's at 168 and the weight takes its toll on Bivol, or Canelo comes up with some amazing strategy that's beyond my comprehension.

Ultimately I think Bivol is too big, too fast, too active with really solid fundamentals. He had the style and the physical makeup to completely shut Canelo down, I don't see much changing in the rematch. Canelo would be wise to kind of forget about a rematch IMO.

How about you, how do you see it going?

Agree, Bivol's too solid on every aspect. And the size difference.

If both come out with the same strategy it ill be a repeat of the first fight. Unless Bivol will want to make a statement and take more risks to get him out of there. Then it it could get enteresting. Leaning more to Bivol, but canellos gonna have more chances at a homerun strike

this doesn't make much sense. how is Canelo overrated, yet you acknowledge him as being one of the best Mexican fighters of all time?

Athletes can be overrated but still be great. Overrated doesn't mean bad. For example, people compare lebron to Jordan, that's over rating him but he's still the best player of his era.

Athletes can be overrated but still be great. Overrated doesn't mean bad. For example, people compare lebron to Jordan, that's over rating him but he's still the best player of his era.

fair points. I concede my previous point.

no matter what, just about any great fighter has been called overrated, they still call Ali overrated and tons of people say Ray Robinson was overrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back