Teacher's son wears a Hitler costume - Says world is "too sensitive"

river
Lol

All it takes is a peak on the head to switch gears.

I personally don't think she should've been fired. Nor am I a fan of people dressing up as dictators who murdered millions of people to celebrate a holiday. I feel like it kinda" undermines the memory of him as a dictator who caused so much turmoil in this world. She is of course free to do whatever she likes

Yeah, but there are lines. As arbitrary as they may be. People absolutely do take Hitler and the Nazis seriously, much like they would the KKK, if you sent your kid out there dressed up as a member.

Like I said, its all arbitrary, but it is what it is. Nobody would bitch if you dressed your kid up as Jack The Ripper, but Hitler is still a no go. If you don't want to play by the rules, well, expect some backlash.
I agree with this. I personally would not allow my kid to wear such a costume and would not be amused to see other kids dressed up as Nazis. As is so often the case, it's not the offense that is offensive. It's the idea that being offended justifies actions like firing the lady from her job that bothers me.

The ghost costume is still the best last minute costume.

2054cec0bf90544fa0aa2486ecb93437.jpg

Got in trouble in college as our black friend on the dorm floor (who absolutely loved and had many laughs with his token black status) did the sheet thing specifically with a fitted sheet and wearing a winter hat with the ball thing on top. Ended up a perfect pointed tip and he spent all night quoting blazing saddles for the lame dorm Halloween party before we then went out to drink.

Me and my roommate and a couple other guys all had to talk to head of housing next day and say we didn't harass him into doing it.

We again got in trouble as he (lone black guy with a white dad) signed up our intramural basketball team as nine and a half whities.... Bastard new we'd all get questioned about it again even with him as the captain and therefor the one who filled out the firm with the team name on it

I agree with this. I personally would not allow my kid to wear such a costume and would not be amused to see other kids dressed up as Nazis. As is so often the case, it's not the offense that is offensive. It's the idea that being offended justifies actions like firing the lady from her job that bothers me.

The complete and utter lack of judgement (at the very least) that it requires to dress a child as Hitler and take him to a community Halloween event probably does mean that this person should not be teaching children in a public school. If this is a representation of this person's level of awareness, a public school is not the place to work.

I think there are definitely times when our culture goes overboard with being PC. This is not one of them at all. Not everything is about PC, or being un-PC for da librul tears. Sometimes there is a level of decency and awareness that needs to be displayed.

Have you noticed that the same people who are okay with Hitler costumes on children, are the same people who were offended in that thread about the sexualized billboard thread? I think people do not always show much awareness. They are plenty offended by plenty of things. They just think they are justified in their own personal reasons for being offended.

My dad was born in 1958. Do you think him, and his parents, would not have been ostracized for dressing him as Hitler for Halloween and having him walk around the neighborhood in the 1960s?

The blowback would have actually been a lot worse. A great deal of those people (including his dad) fought the Nazis and watched their friends killed.

I think a lot of people like to pretend that things are suddenly offensive, and in a lot of cases, that's just not reality. This never would have been accepted by the masses, ever. Not everything is about political correctness, it's about dignity and respect and acting like a decent human being in public.

At the time, the Commies were the threat on everyone's mind. Plus, there was still a lot of anti-semitism back then, heck there was still even segregation. People were way more openly racist back then. There was even a Nazi party in the USA. I doubt young americans did not join up during the early years of WW2 because they wanted to rescue jews (well maybe their women).

Well, she is a teacher. I can see the school's hands being tied. I can remember back in my high school, my music teacher was put on leave and almost got the ax, because he showed us the movie "Amadeus". One scene of nudity almost got that guy canned, because some parent complained about their kid being exposed to some breasts.

When parents start bitching, its a tough spot for the school. I can't imagine the crazy high wire act some teachers have to perform today to not offend anyone in any way.

The complete and utter lack of judgement (at the very least) that it requires to dress a child as Hitler and take him to a community Halloween event probably does mean that this person should not be teaching children in a public school. If that is this person's level of awareness, a public school is not the place to work.

No, it doesn't. Such a narrow view is entirely at odds with pluralism in society. Something can be offensive, and I was offended by this, without being punished.

Had it been a school event, I think it might be a different situation. But putting a person's employment at risk every time someone gets triggered, with no well defined standards in place, gives the Twitter mob teeth it shouldn't have.

1. Italian on my fathers side. German/Spanish on my mothers.
2. 1970/80s

I was actually run out of a store and told they dont serve Hitler babies, my mother had her tires slashed, a brick thrown through our windows and my father and uncles used to get in a ton of fights with them.
Where are you from?

No, it doesn't. Such a narrow view is entirely at odds with pluralism in society. Something can be offensive, and I was offended by this, without being punished.

Had it been a school event, I think it might be a different situation. But putting a person's employment at risk every time someone gets triggered, with no well defined standards in place, gives the Twitter mob teeth it shouldn't have.

We are not talking about the general idea of keeping your job after being offensive, we are talking about a specific job. The specific job of teaching children, many of whom may be Jewish, while you dress your son like Hitler on Halloween.

The community would likely not allow that teacher to be around their kids, for good reason. The school should have a more dignified representative working with little kids. It is a completely different type of situation than a guy who works in an office somewhere.

Put that guy in Teaneck NJ, and see how the community responds.

Well, she is a teacher. I can see the school's hands being tied. I can remember back in my high school, my music teacher was put on leave and almost got the ax, because he showed us the movie "Amadeus". One scene of nudity almost got that guy canned, because some parent complained about their kid being exposed to some breasts.

When parents start bitching, its a tough spot for the school. I can't imagine the crazy high wire act some teachers have to perform today to not offend anyone in any way.
Being fired for something that happened at school when that teacher was behaving in a professional capacity is much different than punishing a teacher acting as a parent at a community event. From what I am reading this was not a school related issue.

This.

Hey, some people have poor taste. I saw a guy dressed as a used tampon once for Halloween. The fact that I didn't appreciate it doesn't give me the right to exile him from society.

We are not talking about the general idea of keeping your job after being offensive, we are talking about a specific job. The specific job of teaching children, many of whom may be Jewish, while your son dresses like Hitler on Halloween.

The community would not allow that, for good reason. The school should have a more dignified representative working with little kids.

You don't see the slippery slope here? What about a teacher who is a drag queen teaching kids who are Muslims or fundamentalist Christians?

Who can we fire for this?
51833.jpg

To think someone took a picture of the kid and then snitched to the media..
probably got more coverage than many murders and violent crimes in weimar-USA

Back