Teacher fired for grading students who don't turn in homework 0%

We don’t actually know that’s why she was fired though. She was on her probationary period. They probably fired her for other reasons than that and she’s just trying to make a scene. Their official statement basically says it’s not a school board policy, and that they fired her due to the quality of her teaching. She probably just sucked. The fact that she left that parting message on the classroom white board pretty much suggests she was an immature twit.

She probably voted Trump. No sympathy.

This you can't fail bullshit has got to stop

LOL @ idiot kids, idiot teachers, and idiot administrators.

Smh.

If she gives the students 0s it will decrease the school's performance-average. A lower test-score results in a loss of status which results in fewer pupil-applications for the coming years. Fewer students mean less money and fewer children from respectable families attending the school. The principle is forced to keep the test-scores high or risk turning the school ghetto. This teacher is jeopardizing the school's entire well-being with these drastic, selfish and irresponsible actions. If anything she should give them full-credit whatever they do so that the school can easily attract more upper-class pupils.
Its crazy, when I first learned that about school systems all I could think of is how backwards that logic is. And it still sounds dumb.

The district's response:
"There is no District or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The District’s Uniform Grading System utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100-0 and grade point averages from 4-0."

Well now I'm confused....wondering what else she did...

Getting a zero in school was the equivalent of committing seppuku. Kids these days give no fucks

I finished HS in VA, where they had a 7 point grading scale instead of 10. So a 92 was a B+, not an A or A- and anything below a 70 (not 60) was failing.....

if anything, school needs to be harder, not easier

That 50 percent rule is very dumb and wrong for so many reasons.

HOWEVER, that decision was made above her pay grade, so she deserved to be fired. It amazes me that people think they can disobey their boss and still keep their job. Fuck off with that shit. If you want to make all the rules then either open your own business or work hard enough to get promoted.

The district's response:
"There is no District or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The District’s Uniform Grading System utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100-0 and grade point averages from 4-0."

Well now I'm confused....wondering what else she did...

She probably just sucked. She was on her probationary period and they didn’t think she was doing a good job. The fact that she wrote a message to her class saying “I’m getting fired because the school won’t let me give you zeros” isn’t a very graceful way to go out.

Well, isn't 50 failing? What difference does it make?

Makes a huge difference. When I went to school you got a 0 for work not handed in and there was no make up. You missed the deadline, better luck next time. The problem with 0's is they make you fail classes, they CRUSH your average. So if you failed the class you could take summer school and if you failed too many classes, guess what, you repeated the grade. Now things are completely set up to make sure most kids pass and are sent to the next grade even if they don't deserve it.

My sons were able to miss homework and still turn it in late for a grade. My teachers are somewhere sick to their stomachs right now. They gave 0's, too bad, you should have done your work little Johnny. You can see how this would have an adverse effect on how many undisciplined dumb-asses we are pumping out that think there is no such thing as "on time."

In summation: 0's make you fail classes, 50's give you every opportunity to pass even though you shouldn't.

A 50 brings down your average much less than a zero does.

Basically, it seems like students who didn't turn in assignments probably had their grade fall so low that they couldn't recover before the end of the school year, so they devised a way to solve that.

It's partly the schools fault but also parents are idiots now. If you give a kid a bad grade the parents don't make their kid study harder, they just try to get the teacher fired.

Honestly this is what you get when you give something away for free. Nobody values education. If the parents had to pay to send their kid to school, you know they'd be pissed at the kid for getting bad grades because now you're wasting the parents money

She was in her probationary period, and ignored specific instructions.

You want to get fired? Cause that's how you get fired.

So she got her martyrdom badge, but won't be helping those kids cause she's not around to make her voice heard on the policy.

You are correct in terms of her ignoring instructions and getting fired but its not her that should be fired, its the entire damn school system that supports this chicanery. My high school teachers from the 80's would ALL be fired because they sure as shit aren't giving you 50 points for no work turned in, you get a 0 and about 3 of those, goodluck passing the class. Want to know what that taught us? To do our damn work and turn it in on time. You carry that with you the rest of your life.

Glad to see there's actually people in here who read the OP. It sounds like the teacher is making some shit up because she got canned for some other reason after only a single month. If this were just about her use of zero's in grading it would take much longer than a month for this to become an issue.

From the schools information officer :

Reading other sources it appears as though this teacher has taught at a TON of other schools during her 20+ years of teaching. I'm wondering if she's just an absolute nightmare of a person to deal with and the school decided it was best to just eat the bad press and move on.

I think it's stupid as fuck, but when you accept a job, you are adhering to their rules. It's like all of those people who like to bitch about dress codes in private institutions that they choose to attend.

50 should be a pass, I know that well from my college days.

I finished HS in VA, where they had a 7 point grading scale instead of 10. So a 92 was a B+, not an A or A- and anything below a 70 (not 60) was failing.....

if anything, school needs to be harder, not easier

I went to HS in Texas and even here anything below a 70 was failing and we got 0's for work not handed in on time. Conversely, my kids never got a 0 for work not turned in, they could turn it in late and still get a passing grade. My teachers would mercilessly fail your ass and if you repeated the grade, well that's just too damn bad, you should have done your work.

I looked for her pics

Don't do it Sherbros

Back