Tapping too quick?

Dougall

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok so Ive recently started training jiusitsu, been at it about 2 months or so now. At the end of each class we have maybe 4 or 5 rounds of rolling, changing partners each round. Everyone I roll with is pretty cool, aware i'm a complete beginner and sometimes allow me a moment to try to escape from a position or sometimes they give me advice on what i should be trying to do.
But one of the guys has a problem with how fast I tap to submissions. He would say things like how he "didn't have it fully in" or he "shouldn't have enough leverage to finish from his position and the pressure on my leg/arm/wrist/throat should be minimal" and he continues with the submision. I do try to wait until there is significant pressure before i tap, but I'm hesitant to let them be applied further. I just think trying to test how far I can let my arm bend could be a dangerous game to play.
The guy outweighs me by about 20kg and seems to have atleast a year or more grappling experience, not sure if these details change anything.
Do you think;
I'm being a bitch about it and need to let this guy push till he's satisfied with his submission?
The guy is being a bit of a dick and should tone down a little?
Or is this just something that come with practicing eventually ill get used to it or become more flexible in my joints?

As soon as your limb goes straight/bend due to a lock, just tap man. Two months in it's not enough to know when the other guy has the leverage, or when you can escape and fight a full locked submission. Let this guy talk, having your shoulder or your elbow hyperextended cause "he don't thinks he has the pressure" it's just not worth.. injuries are not a joke..

On the chokes you can fight longer of course, maybe avoid to be put to sleep, but as you can guess yourself it's not the same risk as having your arm or leg twisted in a way it shouldn't.

Tap when you feel its too much or at the danger zone. Sometimes a sub gets locked on me, and I'm not escaping it, so I just tap there.

tell him you know your joints better then he does, just because your new don't be timid get in people faces constantly, be hostile and aggressive towards everyone, i mean everyone even the instructor if he gets in your way and you will get your belts faster and earn respect

People who say you shouldn't tap because they want to try to act tough, need to GTFO. If someone taps for any reason, they tap. Leave them the fuck alone. Kick this fucker out of the gym ASAP.

You should tap when yoy know for certain there's no way out or when the risk of injury gets too high. You get to know your body in time and know when to tap.

There's a guy in my gym who taps to triangles when I don't even have my legs locked. Same dude tapped to a "heel hook" without me touching his ankle. So basically just a knee reap. It's annoying when someone gets a total freakout over an attempted submission. It doesn't benefit anyone

People are aggressive and offensive because no one is trained how to talk correctly. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to translate his comment as, "you're tapping before your joint is in danger. You can trust me not to hurt you so if you relax, I can show you that your limit is further than you think."

There is a black belt who whipped my ass once. Afterwards he says, "you should flow more." I had a good time rolling up until he said that, and it turned my feelings about the training day so that I'll get a random impulse to stab the guy. It made me really angry. It was multileveled. I couldn't tell if he was lazy and didn't want to sweat, or if he was just being a bitch and wanted to say something snarky, or if he enjoyed being a hypocrite as he didn't flow at all. Honestly, he probably just thought that I'd get more out of training with him if I didn't try to impose anything on him and let him guide me through his prescribed moves, for better or worse. That doesn't mean I took it the right way.

Last edited:
New white belts that have been around less than 6 months should have a free pass for almost anything. They might just don't know what is going on. This should be an occasion to show him some stuff and not to shame him because he tapped early.

Some submissions are clean and obvious (like armbars, rear naked chokes, some lapel chokes, triangles) when it's locked in, it's locked in and the 2 guys knows it. But the other time I was in a weird Kimura position and I tapped early and my Partner took the time to explain what was going to happen after I tapped and that I had some time to escape before tapping. I didn't feel ashamed and I learned something. He never tried to make me feel cheap because he didn't have time to tap me properly.

Of course you should tap if you feel like you are in danger. You're still new to jiujitsu. I assure you with more time you'll know what you can wiggle around with, what to tap to immediately, etc.

You should be able to tap at any time for any reason and that tap be respected by your partner. You should not make a habit of tapping for no reason but seriously, being so new, you can't always know when you should tap so protect yourself but also learn if an experienced partner has something to show you.

Tap early man. When you're really closen to being submitted the mistake has already been made

The wrong time for someone to test the limits of when your body breaks is when you're still a fresh-faced noob. He's being an idiot. Refuse to roll with him.

Ok so Ive recently started training jiusitsu, been at it about 2 months or so now. At the end of each class we have maybe 4 or 5 rounds of rolling, changing partners each round. Everyone I roll with is pretty cool, aware i'm a complete beginner and sometimes allow me a moment to try to escape from a position or sometimes they give me advice on what i should be trying to do.
But one of the guys has a problem with how fast I tap to submissions. He would say things like how he "didn't have it fully in" or he "shouldn't have enough leverage to finish from his position and the pressure on my leg/arm/wrist/throat should be minimal" and he continues with the submision. I do try to wait until there is significant pressure before i tap, but I'm hesitant to let them be applied further. I just think trying to test how far I can let my arm bend could be a dangerous game to play.
The guy outweighs me by about 20kg and seems to have atleast a year or more grappling experience, not sure if these details change anything.
Do you think;
I'm being a bitch about it and need to let this guy push till he's satisfied with his submission?
The guy is being a bit of a dick and should tone down a little?
Or is this just something that come with practicing eventually ill get used to it or become more flexible in my joints?

I think the words in bold are the key. If he doesn't let go of a submission the moment you tap, he is an asshole. If I saw a lower belt do that to a noob I would tear him a new asshole.

you should tap any time you feel your health is in danger.

as you train more and are put in more submissions, your level of comfort will go up as you will be more knowledgeable about precisely how much force you can take, but more importantly you will be more knowledgeable about technique and recognize when you're done, and when you still have opportunity for escape/defense.

Do not force yourself to tap later; it will come naturally. doing so you'll put yourself at risk for injury.

if you have a sparring partner that's telling you youre tapping too early and then just continues with the submission, that is extremely inappropriate. it would be okay if after you tap, he pauses and lets you know he thinks he was still far from completing a submission and gets a nod from you to demonstrate (in a non-sparring type of situation in which you will be ready to tap again quickly) slowly where he thinks the submission should start to come on.

Yeah man, You're developing conditioning in all your muscles, tendons and ligaments and that takes time.

At least 6 months.

I'm sure all of us here can...admit it U just did.... I counted 7...instantly feel the joint(s) that have been trashed during years of hyper extension.

Plus U need to learn where your safe range of motion and flexibility are.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can not take!

A tap is a tap. The kid probably taps to jabs.

Hard to say without actually seeing it. Yes, there is a such thing as tapping too early in a way that deprives your training partners of realistic training experiences. If it's just one guy that complains and nobody else has said anything, it's probably just him. I've encountered more people who consistently tap too late rather than too early. But at the end of the day, if you're trapped and you can't escape and you start to feel pain, it's time to tap. With experience, this is one of those problems that will solve itself over time.

I'm super flexible and could take holds to extreme lengths - people had to work to get me to tap

Pissed em off

Back