Tapping too quick? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dougall, Jun 17, 2017.

1. zeli_papa White Belt

zeli_papa
    No shame in tapping early, especially if it comes to certain submissions like kimuras or inverted heel hooks , I say you should focus on getting to know your body and slowly exploring your limits, not listening to some "know it all" white belt arsehole

Crotalis and Lamfadha like this.
  2. Crotalis White Belt

Crotalis
    @Dougall:

Always better to tap one second too early than one second too late. Submissions are not something to screw around with and once that bone/muscle/tendon/ligament goes, it's too late to get it back. I have a blue belt in Judo and a am like a month away from purple in BJJ and even I will tap fairly early (in training) if I feel the sub is going to be locked in tight enough. Granted, I have a better feel for it than you, but that's all the more reason for you to be cautious. You're still brand new to this sport and need to be given time to learn your limits safely. If this asshat of a training partner continued on with the sub AFTER you tapped, this is a massive issue and should be reported to your instructor.

I've seen people tap just to a strong side control simply because they got claustrophobic. The person applying the side control didn't say "This isn't even a sub" and then continue on with the position. No. They immediately stopped what they were doing like a good team mate should. The fact that this person continued with the sub is extremely upsetting and is the kind of behavior that should never ever be tolerated in a good school. Mind you I'm not saying you're in a bad school. Maybe your instructor doesn't know about this. But if he/she DOES know and it's still being tolerated, GTFO of there.

In the meantime, keep learning and growing and tap whenever you feel you need to until you start getting more comfortable. You will eventually learn your limits and start to respond differently to subs, but at white belt there's no hurry and you certainly won't get there if you're on the sideline with a broken arm or separated shoulder ...

3. Dougall White Belt

Dougall
    Thanks for the replies guys, general consensus seems to be to remain a little on the side of caution rather than allow him to push further. I'm going to ask a few of the other guys if they also find I tap too early, they've never told me I do in the same way he has, but I just want to make sure they don't have the same problem with rolling with me. I don't think they do, but I'm kind of paranoid now I could be hindering other peoples progress too lol.

Its kind of hard to avoid rolling with him, and I think it would cause more hassle than its worth. How do people normally take it when you refuse to roll with them?

Yeah I found this myself, found side control and knee on belly(?) to be pretty uncomfortable at times, never tapped to them, but sometimes panicked in these positions. Now I am more used to them I can relax a little more, so hopefully the same comes for subs in time.

mataleaos likes this.
  4. CHOKER28 Purple Belt

CHOKER28
    it all take time,your just staring your journey and it should be a enjoyable one .If its not then change were you Train ,we have a gym full of monsters who can crush you ,but they dont they encourage and help you game.
    Dont get me wrong if you want hard rolls you can get them ,and some.Like i said your just staring out so you should be learning techniques and putting then in to practice not getting a hard time of higher belts in my book there just bullies

5. mataleaos Blue Belt

mataleaos
    Exactly. Yeah if you're new then it's always better the go on the side of the safety. Once you've been training for a while it is nice to not tap too early and to let the person actually get a solid rep of the submission in. For example don't tap on a rear naked choke as soon as their arm gets under your chin. Obviously with joint locks you have to be a little more careful, but there's a balancing act. For sure if you're new to the game and aren't sure if it's safe to let it progress any further then go ahead and tap.

Just saw this. That definitely will happen with a little time.

6. freakroor Green Belt

freakroor
    tap early to joint locks... but with chokes you fight to the bitter end

Quebec Nick likes this.
  7. Bry Blue Belt

Bry
    I was stupid when I first started 12 years ago, now at almost 48, i tap like a bitch to joint moves, especially elbow. My elbow will never be what they once were. I can't go back now, and the ego I would have damaged by tapping when I was new, is so much easier to repair. Injuries keep you from training.
    In my opinion, the most part of a good gym is having partners you can trust. If you can't trust the people you roll with, as others have said, find another gym.

My two cents.

Bry

8. Russky Blue Belt

Russky
    I would not avoid rolling with someone just because he said something. If he does not like the way you roll he should avoid you, not vice versa. Keep tapping early.

We have one guy who does not play by the rules and injured almost everyone in the club. I do not roll with him and I do not give shit what he thinks about that.