Takedowns in Judo

if you take them to the ground safely. you can't just snap their arm or dive at the mat, but wakigatame and flying armbar are totally legal.

wtf? theres guard in judo? thats news to me thought they only tried to get on top like catch wrestling

correct. this was considered as negative gripping. a lot of recent-era matches were 5-minute grip fights nobody wanted to watch.

i don't think back takes should be scored in Judo as it's not the objective. i do think that defensive turtling/playing dead should be penalized as noncombativity. a lot of recent rule changes are designed to combat standing defensiveness, yet we still allow defensive groundwork.

the rules push for throwing action, and the points are most definitely geared to reward a controlled, hard throw onto the majority of uke's back.

Isn't penalizing defensive groundwork and the turtle be the same as rewarding the top player? In BJJ the turtle is weaker position not so much because you can get choked but because it is easy for the attacker to get points.

Anyway at the tournament I went to a lot of soft ippons where given out and tori was rolling over uke. I guess that is not supposed to happen but it does. If the criteria was something like tori must hold uke down for a couple seconds to score it would be easier to judge. In bjj comps I go to tori has to control uke for 3 seconds to secure the takedown and get points. No points if he gets immediate rolled over.

Isn't penalizing defensive groundwork and the turtle be the same as rewarding the top player?

the whole point of the judo rules is to reward aggression. i'm not saying we should disallow turtling, what i'm saying is the person playing dead should be penalized with a shido when they're stood back up.

theu dpont use specific guards in judo you end up on back and basically are told to scramble for an arm to armbar ect

Can I do a standing rear naked choke (yes, I know that nodoby will be caught in it, but hypothetically speaking...)?

Also, if someone is standing and I'm on my back, can I use the hook sweep, double ankle sweep, play X-guard and stuff like that?

Can I do a standing rear naked choke (yes, I know that nodoby will be caught in it, but hypothetically speaking...)?

if you safely bring them to the ground, yes. can you finish the submission while standing? no.

Also, if someone is standing and I'm on my back, can I use the hook sweep, double ankle sweep, play X-guard and stuff like that?

if they have ahold of you, yes. if they're standing and disengaged, they're considered to be in tachiwaza, and you're not allowed to grab their legs.

i know that's stupid and contradictory, but it's how the rules are.

Back