Tae Kwon Do is deadly!

That's crazy, it must suck to be that young and to have an accident like that on your conscious. I hope the families involved can eventually find peace.

Damn. I do tae kwon do. thankfully i havent been injured. However severe injuries and death are very very very rare.

I wonder if he screamed, "Body bag!" when dealing the fatal blow.

hmm yeah its great for kicks as far as some one who has there hands up they would block the kicks to the head and punch them in the bakc of the head

'Why did you hit so hard? You should have been more careful!' cried Madam Nur Julia, 51.

What kind of crap is that? The family should have more tact than to blame the kid for what happened. They need to understand that accidents can happen. That's like blaming the kid who died for not blocking the kick. After all, it was their choice to let their son compete.

His father is barring him from continuing his training. Let the kid go back, if he wants to! What a sad story. At least the kid had the balls to go to the wake and apologize to the family. Props to him, I hope he's able to move on. And regardless, I wish the best for the family of the deceased. Hopefully, in time, they'll be able to come to their senses and not put all the blame on a 15 year old kid.

That is tragic. I hope that other kid can get past it, and that the parents will eventually see and accept that it was just an accident. All that stuff the mother said was just a grieving mother talking, losing her 17 year old son just like that, we can't criticize for not being rational. The thing is that hopefully over time she'll come to her senses...

Big props to the kid for showing up the funeral / wake, that's classy... and brave...

That sucks. But a lot of well-placed blows to the neck could produce serious injury not just TKD kicks.

One of the worst injuries I ever witnessed in the ER was a guy who took a punch to the neck that tore his carotid, by the time he got to us he had swollen so much it was truly disturbing.

LOL. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the point of this message but it seems like some TKD'er was like "Finally!, Thank god someone died doing this sport, we can finally call it deadly!"

I feel very bad for said dead kid though, may blessings be on himself, his loved ones, and to the unfortuante kid that killed him. Peace to them

Edit: Given the name of the O.P. it seems that I did get the wrong initial impression of the thread. Still struck me as funny though

A kick to the neck is still deadly and TKD remains mostly worthless.

I have spoken.

You misunderstood. My main feeling here is the surprise that a TKD kick can do this.

LOL. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the point of this message but it seems like some TKD'er was like "Finally!, Thank god someone died doing this sport, we can finally call it deadly!"

I feel very bad for said dead kid though, may blessings be on himself, his loved ones, and to the unfortuante kid that killed him. Peace to them

Edit: Given the name of the O.P. it seems that I did get the wrong initial impression of the thread. Still struck me as funny though

Condolences to the poor kids family.

yeah...the necks killer.
and it's a great target for 5 6' short asses like me!
I like to mix it up between attacking the body + neck with MT roundhouse kicks.

You misunderstood. My main feeling here is the surprise that a TKD kick can do this.

Well don't judge all kicks by a single accident. Some guys just have very fragile blood vessels. I know several guys (actualy two) who are got bruised if you slightly grip their arms. I guess the victim was one of these guys.

Though it rarely ever happens, there are some documented cases of people sustaining a sharp blow in the chest at just the right time (I think at some point between beats when the autonomic nerves as propagating a wave across the hurt, causing it to contract.

A few guys have died free-sparring that way. A member of the offensive line at a high school footbal got rammed in the ol' breadbasket by an opposing player's helment some years ago, ad I even recall a kid-- a very young one, pre-teen I think-- got thumped in the chest by a softball and dropped dead

'Why did you hit so hard? You should have been more careful!' cried Madam Nur Julia, 51.

What kind of crap is that? The family should have more tact than to blame the kid for what happened. They need to understand that accidents can happen. That's like blaming the kid who died for not blocking the kick. After all, it was their choice to let their son compete.

His father is barring him from continuing his training. Let the kid go back, if he wants to! What a sad story. At least the kid had the balls to go to the wake and apologize to the family. Props to him, I hope he's able to move on. And regardless, I wish the best for the family of the deceased. Hopefully, in time, they'll be able to come to their senses and not put all the blame on a 15 year old kid.

I think it was a grieving mother let loose with her emotions at that moment. Why don't you go over there and tell the mother (WHo is at her son's funeral) that it is their fault he died. Maybe I should not have even responded to this post and try to remember that there are alot of 13 year olds posting here. :icon_cry2

What kind of crap is that? The family should have more tact than to blame the kid for what happened.
Should she give him a high five?

It is sad but a freak accident. The kid that went to the wake showed real character. Hopefully he can get over it.

its a freak accident but TKD practitioners in Singapore are mostly not conditioned to take hits like that. Most of them are scrawny lil kids. If that boy was trained in his conditioning to take hits, i don't think there's a high chance chances of him dying.

wow shouldnt have let the mom take her anger out on the kid though...

Back