Tae Kwon Do is deadly!

well yeah, i would say a good kick to the throat by anyone would probly kill you.

well yeah, i would say a good kick to the throat by anyone would probly kill you.
I've seen someone (with a lot of BJJ + kickboxing experience) get bailed up on the street. His response was a knife-hand strike to the throat like what you'd see in some tacky kung fu movie and I shit you not the other guy dropped in a gasping heap.
So yeah throats strikes - don't fck with them! lol

What a shame. So young with his whole life ahead of him. At least he was doing something he loved (i can't confirm this, but it does make it sound more romantic like haha)

RIP my fellow martial artist.

I've seen someone (with a lot of BJJ + kickboxing experience) get bailed up on the street. His response was a knife-hand strike to the throat like what you'd see in some tacky kung fu movie and I shit you not the other guy dropped in a gasping heap.
So yeah throats strikes - don't fck with them! lol

boxers/kickboxers are taught from day one to keep their chin down. Keep your hands up/chin down won't get poked in the eye/hit to the throat.

The guy who used the throat-strike was a kick boxer, don't know about the guy he dropped though. I assumed he was just a 'tough guy'.

You misunderstood. My main feeling here is the surprise that a TKD kick can do this.

That's just silly. TKD teaches people how to kick very hard. You lead with the hip and the kick whips into the target - the only difference between a TKD roundhouse and a MT roundhouse is what part of the leg is making contact with the target. What gives TKD a bad reputation (aside from the proliferation of McDojangs) is not the inability to deliver a hard kick, but a collection of rules that encourage a fighting style built around those specific rules that doesn't translate particularly well to most of the other kickboxing rule sets.

I think it was a grieving mother let loose with her emotions at that moment. Why don't you go over there and tell the mother (WHo is at her son's funeral) that it is their fault he died. Maybe I should not have even responded to this post and try to remember that there are alot of 13 year olds posting here. :icon_cry2

If I was at that funeral and heard that mother say that to the kid, I'd immediately say something. I understand she's grieving, but it's apparent she didn't understand the dangers of allowing your son to compete in a contact sport. We all know TKD is relatively safe, but things happen. There are a lot less contact oriented sports where people have died. It was a freak accident, and she needs to understand that. Putting the blame on an obviously remorseful 15 year old is not the path she should be going down; not when it wasn't an act of malice.

I have sympathy for her, and I can understand why she said what she said. I, however, don't agree with it. I hope she can realize that what she said was stupid, and apologize to this kid, so he eventually overcome this traumatic experience too.

So, if thinking this suddenly subtracts 16 years off of my real age, then so be it!

Should she give him a high five?

It is sad but a freak accident. The kid that went to the wake showed real character. Hopefully he can get over it.

She should've showed some character and politely accepted the apology. It's not an easy thing to do - but it's the right thing.

Wrong. I have lived for more than a decade in Singapore. Nowadays, many, like 20 to 40 % of kids are big and Chubby, including the kid who died as we see in the pics.

And how do you suggest him to condition his nect to take kicks?

its a freak accident but TKD practitioners in Singapore are mostly not conditioned to take hits like that. Most of them are scrawny lil kids. If that boy was trained in his conditioning to take hits, i don't think there's a high chance chances of him dying.

With the many millions of practitioners and the extreme lack of guard I am surprised this sort of thing isn't on the news every other week...

Back