Superbowl...explain to non Americans

As an American that played Basketball and "American Football" and watched both; it's a big deal because football is tied into American culture, copious amounts of money are in promoting it, and people have an interest in it and / or don't have anything better that they would prefer to do instead.

As I get older I'm less entertained by sports and would just as soon watch the highlights of great plays then spend hours of my life watching a game.

I don't watch the Super Bowl unless the Philadelphia Eagles are in it and even then it's mostly because my Mom keeps up with that team and it gives me a shared interest.

Last edited:
So i have no idea WTF goes on with this thing

So people who dont even care or support either team actually tune in and watch this thing...WHY?

I understand you may get to see a free concert at half time(which can be watched on the internet without all the shitty American Football shit either side of it)

Seems like the most ridiculous thing ever to watch something for over 3 hours in which you have no connection to at all, other than being American

Stupid, overpriced commercials and a halftime show mini concert. An excuse to get hammered.

I honestly will never understand the appeal personally, but it seems to make people happy for a day so whatever.

Gigantic waste of money on so many levels.

No matter how much you think the Superbowl is a waste of resources, the World Cup is much much worse. Economists are still baffled by the practice of obscene spending which nations never recover from.

i mean it has become competition if each year they will set record for viewership or money spent.i got to give media compleks in this country they convinced people they have stake in watching it every year lile they are part of it and spending money is thing to do as well so you can feel you are part of experience.but who would spend anything for 3 hours tjat they wpuld not spend any other day stupid bit americans are synonim for stupid

i mean it has become competition if each year they will set record for viewership or money spent.i got to give media compleks in this country they convinced people they have stake in watching it every year lile they are part of it and spending money is thing to do as well so you can feel you are part of experience.but who would spend anything for 3 hours tjat they wpuld not spend any other day stupid bit americans are synonim for stupid

I actually prefer the play off games. Superbowls seem to be more of a spectable.

again, i see people being over excited about a team they have no connection to, getting a bit too happy about the winners

doesnt happen in any other sport, people tend to follow the team or country they support, not some random because Taylor Swift has suddenly got involved

You got to admit it is just think for people to be part of it that media said. Other then that 3 hours of boredum is not interesting at all. I could not care less if people would not tell me you missimg out. Funiest thing is they convinced people to buy tv ,tons of food and drinks that they would not do it any other day in year and also media then hype itthey with this year record amount of money will be spent and they do that every year

Last edited:
again, i see people being over excited about a team they have no connection to, getting a bit too happy about the winners

doesnt happen in any other sport, people tend to follow the team or country they support, not some random because Taylor Swift has suddenly got involved

It's Taylor's world, bro. We just live in it. ;)

It's just a live TV program for a game. People like to say we did it when the team they root for wins. It's also a good time to eat fatty food and watch new commercials. Sometimes you get half a boob.

Stupid, overpriced commercials and a halftime show mini concert. An excuse to get hammered.

I honestly will never understand the appeal personally, but it seems to make people happy for a day so whatever.

Gigantic waste of money on so many levels.

No matter how much you think the Superbowl is a waste of resources, the World Cup is much much worse. Economists are still baffled by the practice of obscene spending which nations never recover from.

The World cup and Olympics are only a waste because countries(and their contracters) use it as an excuse to rebuild their entire sporting infrastructure. If you just give a nation the World Cup and they host it with their existing stadiums everything is fine. But no one wants to do that every contracter under the sun sees dollar signs and just start aggressively humping the money.

The World cup and Olympics are only a waste because countries(and their contracters) use it as an excuse to rebuild their entire sporting infrastructure. If you just give a nation the World Cup and they host it with their existing stadiums everything is fine. But no one wants to do that every contracter under the sun sees dollar signs and just start aggressively humping the money.

Well, they do have certain standards as well so at the very least, certain things may have to be upgraded, but thats all.

I also think nations feel this need to compete with one another as to how grand these events can look.

Less and less nations are clamouring for these events now as they know the costs that come with it.

I for example will not be here for my city hosting the 2030 winter games. Nope. This place is already expensive enough, I can only imagine the crunch on tax dollars afterwards. Plus my city is notorious for wasting money on impractical things instead of trying to improve real issues like infastrature, lack of schools/hospitals and our notorious homeless crisis. But ya, lets host Fifa in 2026 and Olympics in 2030. Retards.

Back