Suikoden 2 - Sell Me On This Game

HereticBD

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
What is so great about this game, and why should I buy it?

Why would you buy it instead of just emulating it?

I dunno do you like JRPGs? Because it is easily one of the best of those type of games. If you don't then you probably won't like it.

You gotta play Suikoden 1 first. Suikoden 2 is a direct continuation

You gotta play Suikoden 1 first. Suikoden 2 is a direct continuation

You don't really have to. Different characters, different story, different place. Got to play Suikoden 1 first just because it's awesome, to be honest.

good and immersive story. plus collecting and recruiting aspects with 108 characters in total.

You don't really have to. Different characters, different story, different place. Got to play Suikoden 1 first just because it's awesome, to be honest.
There's a ton of recurring characters and one villain in particular who won't have the same impact unless you played the first game.

There's a ton of recurring characters and one villain in particular who won't have the same impact unless you played the first game.

You don't really gain anything from knowing they're recurring characters, other than knowing they're recurring characters. Which villain? It's worth playing the first one just because the first one is an awesome game. Not playing the first one won't really take away any of the enjoyment of the second one.

EDIT:

One thing which I did forget,
is if you have a save game from the first you can recruit the main hero in the 2nd

You don't really gain anything from knowing they're recurring characters, other than knowing they're recurring characters. Which villain? It's worth playing the first one just because the first one is an awesome game. Not playing the first one won't really take away any of the enjoyment of the second one.
Neclord

Viktor, Flik, Tir, and Gremio also won't have the same impact.

Suikoden 2 has one of the best villains ever in Luca Blight. That's reason enough to play it.

Neclord

Viktor, Flik, Tir, and Gremio also won't have the same impact.

You only meet Gremio if you find all 108 in the first if I remember correctly? I never did, might have to go back and replay it using a guide so I can find the last guy.

Suikoden 2 is one of the best RPGs on the PSOne. Simple gameplay with an engaging story and a badass villain.

The story, the gigantic cast (108) of recruitable characters, building up your castle, the ridiculous amount of collectables throughout the world. Luca Blight is an incredible villain.

I'd recommend playing the first, though it's more barebones than S2, there are a lot of recurring characters and knowing who they are would increase your enjoyment of the story

On it's own though without knowing any backstory it's still an incredible RPG.

Also, Iron Chef-esque cooking competition minigame. Nuff said.

Go explore and climb that mountain that u have to grind to climb b4 u do anything in game. Special prize at the top

I need to finish 1. Never had a PS1 as a kid, but I have both titles on my PSV. I was following a guide to get all the stars, and I think the most recent group of recruits I got were the fisherman dudes? Can't remember if I upgraded my castle twice or just the once, but I feel like I have around 60 stars or so recruited. Been ages since I booted it up.

So I picked it up. Flash sale, baby!

Only just started out. Played about two hours. Seems good. I'm obviously not being challenged too much yet, but I do appreciate how fast the combat is, and how it gives you attacks that can wipe out a group of lame enemies in one move. That "unite" attack is awesome.

I'm really just getting started though, so I can't comment too much. Not sure I like how items and certain armor share slots, but I'll see how that goes. Nothing to complain about yet. I guess the menu's are a little archaic.

As far as the basics go, I love the art style. The animation and sprite characters look great, and it all holds up really well, as opposed to the 3D polygonal stuff other games were moving toward at the time. The music...my God the music. Amazing stuff.

Like I said, I'm not far enough to really judge, but it has made a great first impression.

So I picked it up. Flash sale, baby!

Only just started out. Played about two hours. Seems good. I'm obviously not being challenged too much yet, but I do appreciate how fast the combat is, and how it gives you attacks that can wipe out a group of lame enemies in one move. That "unite" attack is awesome.

I'm really just getting started though, so I can't comment too much. Not sure I like how items and certain armor share slots, but I'll see how that goes. Nothing to complain about yet. I guess the menu's are a little archaic.

As far as the basics go, I love the art style. The animation and sprite characters look great, and it all holds up really well, as opposed to the 3D polygonal stuff other games were moving toward at the time. The music...my God the music. Amazing stuff.

Like I said, I'm not far enough to really judge, but it has made a great first impression.

Did you get the first one, if you did I can give you a little tip to make a lot of money early on. Go find the 3 cups (gambling) woman, and work your way up to the highest amount you can bet, save the game. Every first go at the game the ball is in the same cup.

Did you get the first one, if you did I can give you a little tip to make a lot of money early on. Go find the 3 cups (gambling) woman, and work your way up to the highest amount you can bet, save the game. Every first go at the game the ball is in the same cup.

Nah. I was tempted, but I didn't see much likelihood of playing through it, to get to part 2, which I've been eyeing for quite a while. I might eventually pick it up, if I like this game enough.

Nah. I was tempted, but I didn't see much likelihood of playing through it, to get to part 2, which I've been eyeing for quite a while. I might eventually pick it up, if I like this game enough.

The first one has one of the GOAT sad moments in gaming in my opinion. It's a great game. definitely recommend giving it a go if you enjoy 2.

Back