Suikoden 2 - Sell Me On This Game

I only played the fourth one and it was pretty good. 8/10 would emulate in my spare time

Suikoden 2 has a great story, so did 1.

I've played 1, 2 and 5.

All of them were fantastic games.

Suikoden 2 has a great story, so did 1.

I've played 1, 2 and 5.

All of them were fantastic games.

I couldn't get in to 5, just didn't feel right playing Suikoden in 3D. Might have to dig out the PS2 and give it another go.

5 was definitely a slow starter, but it gets awesome after the first "betrayal" happened when the shit hit the fan.

So, this game is pretty dark, eh?

I mean shit, I'm only about five hours in, and that Luca cunt has already burned down two towns, and made a women act like a pig, before killing her. Seriously, that shit was messed up. I was genuinely shocked that a PS1 game allowed that kind of scene, regardless of it being done in sprite form.

Anyways, liking the game. Recruited like ten members or so. Got into the first "RTS" battle, which was okay, but on mostly on autopilot, and had no real punishment for failure. Still haven't really wrapped my head around the battle mechanics, like rune placement, and general magic use, but I'm still breezing along, so it's not a big deal yet. There is still something about the item management that is a bit off though. I think it might just be the menus, because I'm not used to having a JRPG offer me an option between armor and items in the same menu. I just don't like seeing "+4 Def" on a piece of armor, when the only way to get it, is to replace an item slot. Appreciate the diversity, but I'd rather just have dedicated item/armor slots.

Good stuff so far though.

5 was definitely a slow starter, but it gets awesome after the first "betrayal" happened when the shit hit the fan.
No shit, it takes like 10 hours before it starts actually being a game. It was a good game, but I would never make it past the opening hurdle again.

You gotta play Suikoden 1 first. Suikoden 2 is a direct continuation

I've played through Suikoden 1 half a dozen times. One of my favorite games of all time. Never got into part 2. Not sure why, but the characters just don't draw me in like the ones from the first game.

Got through the first real dungeon of the game. Helping some random dude who was living in an inn in the middle of nowhere with his wife, find some treasure.

That's where this game might show some cracks a bit, as the design was a little archaic, and reminded me of the maze dungeons in some older JRPG's like Phantasy Star. The attention to detail was gone, and the whole area was just screens of brick and water, which made it rather easy to get lost. Wasn't too bad, but I did run in circles for a bit before I finished it, and with random battles, that can get tedious. Hope that was just a hiccup, and the rest of the dungeons are a little more distinct.

Got some decent amount of playing time with the game today. Shit is starting to heat up nicely. The storytelling is really well done in this game. I find with most JRPG's, I'm kind of always tuning in and out of the overall story, because there are so many moving pieces going on at once, and it's usually some vast, really out there fantasy stuff and loses focus here and there. This game really just clips along nicely with it's simple war story, and it works the side stuff in seemlessly.

Anyways, around 11 hours in and just got to my "headquarters", which I assume is where the castle building stuff comes in. Looking around, it looks like it will be pretty addictive to build up.

So far, so good.

Got some decent amount of playing time with the game today. Shit is starting to heat up nicely. The storytelling is really well done in this game. I find with most JRPG's, I'm kind of always tuning in and out of the overall story, because there are so many moving pieces going on at once, and it's usually some vast, really out there fantasy stuff and loses focus here and there. This game really just clips along nicely with it's simple war story, and it works the side stuff in seemlessly.

Anyways, around 11 hours in and just got to my "headquarters", which I assume is where the castle building stuff comes in. Looking around, it looks like it will be pretty addictive to build up.

So far, so good.

The HQ aspect of the game is awesome. It's brilliant watching your HQ evolve as you gain more of your crew, and some of the random level of detail they put in to it is awesome.

Back