Such BS that Mighty Mouse was pushed to the side and basically traded

cntrlvafightfan

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Still don't understand why the UFC got rid of arguably the best Flyweight ever, basically acting like 125 will go up in flames only to later promote it like it should have been from the beginning. Fast forward to now with Flyweights headlining a PPV.

Obviously, he's an older version, but how would MM fair against the top of the current FW's in the UFC?

DJ would beat them all in his prime, still think he stands a chance against the top competition still in the ufc.

but yeah, braindead move by dana to ditch him for askren regardless of how spicy askren was at that time. i don't think trading is the worst concept ever though, i am sure that they are some middling fighters that we could trade with ONE to see my boy, Rodtang in the UFC, Colby is the one that comes to mind the most.

DJ had to lose to legitimize the division, at least for brain dead MMA fans that fill this this forum. Let them explain to you how big a draw Pantoja is.

He needed to create his own rivals and competition, which he somewhat did before leaving.

The perception was DJ was the one decent flyweight, and the rest all sucked. They were booked and treated as pre-lim fighters.. And most flyweights still are.

Also, DJ wasn't a passive bystander in this trade. He was committed and pushed for it. His trainer was VP of ONE FC.

Fam.

Ting was years ago and worked out for both parties. Askren got sacrificed blessed Masvidal widdem casual eyez n DJ got taken care of inda East endz. When 6ixdog finna start living in di present day fam smdh

I think you needed DJ to leave in order for flyweight to grow. He'd be my pick in basically any matchup in the division to this day though, I hope he comes back for a fight or two before he hangs it up.

Good move by Dana. UFC promoted DJ with no results. DJ wasn’t willing to move up to try to generate interest. DJ doesn’t draw much interest or attention and it was better for him to go to a small promotion.

Still don't understand why the UFC got rid of arguably the best Flyweight ever, basically acting like 125 will go up in flames only to later promote it like it should have been from the beginning. Fast forward to now with Flyweights headlining a PPV.

Obviously, he's an older version, but how would MM fair against the top of the current FW's in the UFC?
He's unquestionably the best FLW ever. There is no argument for anyone else.

I'd pick him to beat Pantoja today if they fought

Honestly, I'm not mad about it. All of his fights in ONE have been exciting af bell to bell. Also, it seems like fans appreciate him way more now than they ever did while he was still in the UFC. It took him leaving for his legacy to grow.

They milked more money from Askren and then Masvidal after the knee than what DJ would ever give them.

This.

It was a great business decision in hindsight. It takes two to tango and Askren was the uke for one of the GOAT knockouts that set the UFC up to make even more money with Masvidal and all this BMF crap.

Rogan shills were screaming how Ben Askren is going to become the next long time champ and Dana believed it.

Last edited:
The difference is that these guys are probably willing to work without the PPV points. I think Figgy might have got PPV points for one fight because he showed up short notice. Mighty Mouse wanted PPV points and the promotion wouldn't budge for him. MM wasn't a big seller either.

I believe the champs now all get some PPV points but they need to reach a certain amount of buys. Some of them can't do it by themselves because of the popularity game. The flyweight champs need to piggyback off other popular fighters by being the co-main.

Last edited:
Back