Struve may be lucky he beat stipe.

He hasnt performed as well,since then, but he is the only guy to finish Stipe. Stipe definitely wants that win back, as it is a strange loss meaning stipe beats guys like reem and Werdum but loses to struve.

Point I'm making is that because of the win struve is always a viable option for a fight vs stipe. At least from a marketing standpoint and as long as he can get a top win, which isnt hard considering how shallow it is.

As long as he can get a top win...ay, there's the rub. As soon as Struve is on the precipice of achieving a reasonable enough ranking to justify the match—or at least make it not too much of a mockery of due process—he loses.

I never saw this fight, that clip looks like he is getting lit up for quite awhile. But that could very well not have been the case. Who was winning that fight before the slip?

It was a competitive fight that Stipe was winning before that.

it's unthinkable in hindsight that that fight happened.

As I once heard on the Heavy Hands podcast..."Often it's the fights that make you really question that prospect that allow them to become the one you expected them to be in the first place. A lot of prospects need those loses."

The way I see it, this fight wasn't so much about the who as the when. Stipe was undefeated and starting to get enough hype that it could turn his head. It's his fourth fight in the UFC—a little less than a year from when he debuted—and already he's headlining a card, in his first overseas fight. And he was facing a guy with three times the experience who was on a winning streak. Perfect conditions for a "prospect loss."

It's not unthinkable, it was almost inevitable.

As I once heard on the Heavy Hands podcast..."Often it's the fights that make you really question that prospect that allow them to become the one you expected them to be in the first place. A lot of prospects need those loses."

The way I see it, this fight wasn't so much about the who as the when. Stipe was undefeated and starting to get enough hype that it could turn his head. It's his fourth fight in the UFC—a little less than a year from when he debuted—and already he's headlining a card, in his first overseas fight. And he was facing a guy with three times the experience who was on a winning streak. Perfect conditions for a "prospect loss."

It's not unthinkable, it was almost inevitable.
yes and no. stipe is starting to make a case for best HW all time, and struve is a gatekeeper who loses as much as he wins. it's approaching serra / gsp territory if you ask me.

I think Struve beats Reem and Werdum. Both guys are old and chinny. A young guy with huge reach that likes to bang like Struve is kind of ripe for KOing them. Just how I feel in my gut. 4 years ago, no -- but now, yes.
Old and chinny? Struve just lost to Arlovski, and Reem and Werdum >>> Arlovski.

Struve is younger and chinny lol, Overeem and Werdum both finish him

He needs to actually win against the Volkovs of his division. Homie couldn't even beat Arlovski

Struve has had a worse career at hw than Roy Nelson. Think about that for a second. Even at HW I doubt it will ever be shallow enough for Struve to get a shot.

That was a strange fight. Stipe either gassed or something went wrong and was going to pull out, but decided not to..

Struve seems to have flashes of brilliance at times.

Him vs stipe and him vs nog are great examples

Can we just accept the fact that only reason Stipe is champ cause UFC HW division is weak as it always been?

Back