strikers dropping hands today

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
find it weird in the past 10 years guys are obsessed with dropping there hands when they arnt even an average striker a lot more ko have happened also since this i feel even top striking coaches dont have there guys with a solid stance with hands up i dont get this especially in mma when tiny gloves get into those tiny spots unless you are fighting a good wrestler why are guys that delusional and crazy to think they are roy jones jr and dropping hands like this?

notice guys who keep a high guard never get knocked out and always does well in the striking yoel romero rampage jackson DC they never get hurt due to being smart in keeping hand sup there is 0 tactical advantage to doing this at there mma level of striking its all for foolish pride

Comma
The comma ( , ) is a punctuation mark that appears in several variants in different languages. It has the same shape as an apostrophe ( ' ) or single closing quotation mark in many typefaces, but it differs from them in being placed on the baseline of the text.

The Period, Full Stop or Point.
The period (known as a full stop in British English) is probably the simplest of the punctuation marks to use.

haha, subtle hint from billythefish. i don't have the stats on hand, but i'm pretty sure the majority of KOs in MMA are from punches (vs kicks or knees or slams), so yeah its hard to go wrong keeping your hands up. i guess there's a little tactical advantage in that if your arms are lower, that can help defend takedowns

The thing is, MMA gloves are small hence, it is harder to effectively block punches prolly less benefit (might be more worth slipping), while boxing gloves can cover your head fully as a shield. I have noticed that it is popular among many MMA fighters and younger more flashier boxers.

It's just my opinion.

If you fight with hands down at least tuck your chin, guys do neither sometimes and well...….."IT'S ALL OVER!!"

You can drop a hand at times, especially if the other guy is looking to shoot in, but there is little to no good reason to ever not be keeping your chin tucked.

Last edited:
People allows copy the most famous boxer of their era. Nowadays it's Floyd. Pretty much any young American fighter uses the shoulder roll and is a poor Floyd copy&paste. Back in the 80s it was Ali everyone tried to fight like him. As soon as there is another Floyd or Ali everyone will copy them

As Sinister says, you put your hands up to attack, not defend.

I see a lot of eye pokes from long guards with open hands........

The real question is can you still execute the same defensive movements with your hands up as you can with your hands down?

If you can then hands up is an added measure of protection that shouldn't be disregarded.

find it weird in the past 10 years guys are obsessed with dropping there hands when they arnt even an average striker a lot more ko have happened also since this i feel even top striking coaches dont have there guys with a solid stance with hands up i dont get this especially in mma when tiny gloves get into those tiny spots unless you are fighting a good wrestler why are guys that delusional and crazy to think they are roy jones jr and dropping hands like this?

notice guys who keep a high guard never get knocked out and always does well in the striking yoel romero rampage jackson DC they never get hurt due to being smart in keeping hand sup there is 0 tactical advantage to doing this at there mma level of striking its all for foolish pride

bugs the shit out of me, my main guy that wants to compete has a horrible habit of dropping his hands, getting him to correct it is very difficult and somewhat frustrating. My experience with guys that do it, is they are self taught, and they are doing it to try and look good or like they know what they are doing, because they think thats what you are supposed to do or how you should move because it looks good.

bugs the shit out of me, my main guy that wants to compete has a horrible habit of dropping his hands, getting him to correct it is very difficult and somewhat frustrating. My experience with guys that do it, is they are self taught, and they are doing it to try and look good or like they know what they are doing, because they think thats what you are supposed to do or how you should move because it looks good.
Get him to spar with someone who's a bit aggressive and can actually land hits. It'll get him to bring them back up. You could even invite one of the many friends of the MT community you know to help out. Doesn't have to be an A-class guy, could even be an intermediate level competitor, get them to go light, but have him try to rack up points

Get him to spar with someone who's a bit aggressive and can actually land hits. It'll get him to bring them back up. You could even invite one of the many friends of the MT community you know to help out. Doesn't have to be an A-class guy, could even be an intermediate level competitor, get them to go light, but have him try to rack up points

i been doing that myself with him. he is coming along, but a bad habit is harder to break than creating a new habit. and of all the bad habits to pick up, that is the one he got. he will correct it for the minute im on him about it, and then resort back to his bad habit.

i been doing that myself with him. he is coming along, but a bad habit is harder to break than creating a new habit. and of all the bad habits to pick up, that is the one he got. he will correct it for the minute im on him about it, and then resort back to his bad habit.

It's going to take time......

It can't just be something he does in sparring, you have to drill it in to make it muscle memory.

Have him get into stance, and move around.

Don't even need throw strikes, just move around in a proper way with a proper stance holding hands in a proper place.

Have him gallop around back and forth on a track even. In his stance.

A useful exercise even when don't need to correct a bad habit.

tape it around his head during the sessions, its what he needs so its what its going to take

Shadow boxing or working the bag with elastic bands can help with muscle memory. Here is random youtube video as couldnt find photos of what I meant...I am sure you know what I mean anyways. I know guys usually use it for resistance training, but I only ever used it when I was younger for muscle memory for hands as a novice.

Another trick is to make a training day with a huge amount of volume punching on the bags etc...then at the END of the session take him on pads and clip him each time he lowers his hands and shout 'hands'. Im sure psychologically it will be the only thing on his mind after that day.

I couldn’t agree with you more

Back