strikers dropping hands today

As Sinister says, you put your hands up to attack, not defend.<mma4>

Sorry my friend I don't agree at all!

Dont want to look like this or cracked skull....

images

Always best to have a reasonable high guard depending on the situation but guard the chin even if you jab left keep right up near chin to parry.......... but loose and ready...........always ensure fast release.

boxing-guard.jpg

main-qimg-aa527bdb9a973d2f9483b763367a30dd

This is the way I was taught and works best always protect the center-line move to either side.

Its beginner mistake to drop hands to waist or to the side.....thats no guard at all!:(

Last edited:
Sorry my friend I don't agree at all!

Dont want to look like this or cracked skull....

images

Always best to have a reasonable high guard depending on the situation but guard the chin even if you jab left keep right up near chin to parry.......... but loose and ready...........always ensure fast release.

boxing-guard.jpg

main-qimg-aa527bdb9a973d2f9483b763367a30dd

This is the way I was taught and works best always protect the center-line move to either side.

Its beginner mistake to drop hands to waist or to the side.....thats no guard at all!:(

Your Guard is your last line of defence, controlling distance and position is better than keeping your hands up.........if you need to constantly rely on your guard then you are not doing it right...

MMA gloves don't help......

Your Guard is your last line of defence, controlling distance and position is better than keeping your hands up.........if you need to constantly rely on your guard then you are not doing it right...

MMA gloves don't help......

Boxing gloves do not help either. Try "guarding" against someone that can punch

For discussion purposes nothing else, you guys are making this to complicated adding to many things in a specific element of tactics.

• Hand guard
  • Parrying
  • Movement
  • Footwork
  • Blocking
  • Power delivery
  • Angles of Attack
  • So on ....etc
Dropping hands to the side Like Anderson Silva does for example is a poor habit to have.

Bullet points above are just the various elements like a jigsaw puzzle, that is why MMA is so pathetic at times because it doesn't train you to master the various martial arts or fighting arts like boxing that takes years to master. A three month training camp, focusing on standup is not enough people just do the basics washing down all the advanced technical skills needed that takes time to develop and years of training.

Well I can discuss MA+Boxing or other with guys like Shane Fazen all day long, others think they know best and don't even understand where the vital organs are on the body so they can learn to protect them.

It seems its really a pattern of behavior and maturity that is needed wanting to learn from coaches and people with sound experience.

To further add many years later guys like Anderson Silva were looking to train with people that could offer better standup training with guys like Dan Inosanto, all because he couldn't correct bad habits. Sad :( he was good but.....

Links:-

- https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/cma/anderson-silva-training-wing-chun

- http://www.scifighting.com/2013/12/25/21712/analysis-explaining-anderson-silvas-hand-positioning/

Thing is you can not drop your hands momentarily to dodge punches because you will get caught clean eventually, its a bad habit!

Its better to have some guard resistance and recover from heavy shots than have nothing at all!

Its not a sure solution for all situations, like I said in the above bullets points you got to have all that as well in your training, but hey whatever guys do what you think is best can't argue all day long each to his own I guess.:(

Last edited:
Hand up or hands down... don't get get hit.

Who cares how you achieve the end goal?

Realistically I can speak about boxing only.

In boxing having a good posture to receive blows is more important than having your hands up.

The hand positioning of the basic boxing stance is really good enough to defend against a lot of blows, but you try not to defend with your guard at all cost. Realistically you take the boxing guard because it is a good base from which you can throw safely, in a stable stance, without telegraphing most punches and they really have to travel less distance from that guard. Especially straights.

Lets take the Philly Shell for example. Its power is that it actually allows you easily to counter with straight rights and right uppercuts. The jab hand is also low and comes from an angle that weird and hard to defend from.

I am not familiar with MT and TKD or point karate for example. But judging from their stance and guard it allows them for kicks that are used in the sport. Just a guess work again, I believe that MT stance is very forwarf as it allows for easier landing of knees and elbows also using the teep. Of course correct me if I am wrong.

So back to boxing. It is good to have hands up, but you defend by distance, footwork, head and body movement and as less as possible with the guard. Or at least you try to have Andre Wardish defensive tools with that left hand.

Boxing gloves do not help either. Try "guarding" against someone that can punch

Arthur Abraham was a world champion many times over by largely doing just that (coupled with some serious power).

We teach an incredibly orthodox system where a high guard is absolutely necessary for it to be used successfully. There are other very successful coaches that teach something very different.

The simple answer is, if your coach produces successful fighters and you believe them, do what they tell you do.

Arthur Abraham was a world champion many times over by largely doing just that (coupled with some serious power).

We teach an incredibly orthodox system where a high guard is absolutely necessary for it to be used successfully. There are other very successful coaches that teach something very different.

The simple answer is, if your coach produces successful fighters and you believe them, do what they tell you do.

First I somewhat get what you guys are saying, there is an element of defensive movement for a very short period of time that you can employ putting your hands down, but its still at high risk, your hands are down and exposed.

I don't mean to argue only to discuss, as this subject has come up many times in this Forums alone after doing a search using the search bar.

On the topic of hands many things occurs like sensitivity and reaction striking only when hands are above your elbows.

To illustrate Wing Chun is target specific to hand to hand sensitivity training keeping hands up that takes years to master perfectly watch Sifu Evangelos from Greece as an example:-

Then on boxing alone when bobbing and weaving ducking under punches like Mike Tyson the best in the world ever using the Pick-a-boo method hands are up ready to explode the hooks and uppercuts as a pro boxer......

First I somewhat get what you guys are saying, there is an element of defensive movement for a very short period of time that you can employ putting your hands down, but its still at high risk, your hands are down and exposed.

I don't mean to argue only to discuss, as this subject has come up many times in this Forums alone after doing a search using the search bar.

On the topic of hands many things occurs like sensitivity and reaction striking only when hands are above your elbows.

To illustrate Wing Chun is target specific to hand to hand sensitivity training keeping hands up that takes years to master perfectly watch Sifu Evangelos from Greece as an example:-

Then on boxing alone when bobbing and weaving ducking under punches like Mike Tyson the best in the world ever using the Pick-a-boo method hands are up ready to explode the hooks and uppercuts as a pro boxer......

Not sure if you misunderstood my post or meant to quote someone else, but we’re on the same side of the argument.

If ANY member of my stable has low hands, they’re doing something terribly wrong. My system relies on an incredibly orthodox style with a high guard.

I really have no will to argue. I am not good enough to do so.

Just a few questions regarding the method. I do not really like to relly on the guard as heavy blows mess up with my balance. How do you deal with that?

And how would you deal with someone like me that prefers to throw body shots. For example I really often do body jabs and crosses. And when fighting someone even slightly taller I d use a body left hook often too. What is the phylosophy of defending against someone like me? My coach advices on parrying body jabs to mess with the balance and distance management for the rest, such as jump back, jump forward and counter (think it goes as a pandelium strep in western language).

I really have no will to argue. I am not good enough to do so.

Just a few questions regarding the method. I do not really like to relly on the guard as heavy blows

mess up with my balance. How do you deal with that?

And how would you deal with someone like me that prefers to throw body shots. For example I really often do body jabs and crosses. And when fighting someone even slightly taller I d use a body left hook often too. What is the phylosophy of defending against someone like me? My coach advices on parrying body jabs to mess with the balance and distance management for the rest, such as jump back, jump forward and counter (think it goes as a pandelium strep in western language).

STABILITY TRAINING - is critical for fighters, it also helps in recovery methods to equalize your center of gravity.

Some info:

How the Ear works to assist in Balance of the human body

More specifically, as the fluid in the cochlea moves it moves tiny hairs within the cochlea, creating nerve impulses that your brain can understand. The semicircular canals of the inner ear help you with balance. When you move your head, fluid inside the semicircular canals moves as well.

12039635.png

Online Reference:- https://www.eyeandear.org.au/page/P...e_Disorders/How_does_the_balance_system_work/

There are lots of exercises and things that you can do here to solve this:

A good read link - https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-techniques/body-movement/how-to-improve-your-boxing-balance

Also lots of skipping to strengthen your ankles and calves muscles helps assist in better balance.

If you want more on this subject you can google and research or I will share more good info to help you get up to speed!

Back