Street Fight vs Multiple Attackers (And the Biggest LIE in Martial Arts History)

You guys will think I'm crazy but I think if I had to choose ONE art to be armed with in a multiple attacker situation, I'd choose sport karate. WKF competitors would be damn near impossible to pin down and corner if they were intent on not fighting back.

Last word on this.

Best breakdown on fighting multiple attackers. Aggression.

You guys will think I'm crazy but I think if I had to choose ONE art to be armed with in a multiple attacker situation, I'd choose sport karate. WKF competitors would be damn near impossible to pin down and corner if they were intent on not fighting back.

Please. Where I stand is my castle. I'm not starting shit but I'm not backing up from anyone. In harms way is within three feet of my open guard, brah. Self defense isn't about physical safety. It's about teaching lessons to people so they don't come back to the place you like, later.

Please. Where I stand is my castle. I'm not starting shit but I'm not backing up from anyone. In harms way is within three feet of my open guard, brah. Self defense isn't about physical safety. It's about teaching lessons to people so they don't come back to the place you like, later.

Sometimes when you've really done someone harm, it can be a good measure psychologically to tell them (or their friends) something like "don't try me again, or next time I won't go so easy on ye".

I think this ties into the last sentence of your post here.

Well, actually weapon arts can work - firearms, even knives or sticks. But for unarmed arts this is completely correct.

How many martial arts teach weapons work now-a-days (as in sparring with them, not just kata's and drills)? I suspect a few do, but not many.

And even with weapons you're better off running if you can - just because you have a gun doesn't mean the multiple attackers don't too.​
kali,silat, traditional martial arts

Kali will get your ass thrown in prison faster than you can say, "shoot to stop."

I got sweet at stick and knife fencing back in the day. Nothing like butchering your attacker's forearm to make it look like you are the bad guy. Nothing like having the police arrest you after chopping someone up while you are wearing a "Sayoc, Master of the Blade" t-shirt. The best is when you post on a forum about the best way to present yourself to the police after an incident, and then having your computer checked after you chop someone up.

The knife defense doesn't work, the knife fencing will get you thrown in jail, and BJJ guys could nut up and practice disarming a padded club at speed if they wanted to get good at it.

Kali will get your ass thrown in prison faster than you can say, "shoot to stop."

I got sweet at stick and knife fencing back in the day. Nothing like butchering your attacker's forearm to make it look like you are the bad guy. Nothing like having the police arrest you after chopping someone up while you are wearing a "Sayoc, Master of the Blade" t-shirt. The best is when you post on a forum about the best way to present yourself to the police after an incident, and then having your computer checked after you chop someone up.

The knife defense doesn't work, the knife fencing will get you thrown in jail, and BJJ guys could nut up and practice disarming a padded club at speed if they wanted to get good at it.

Last word on this.

Best breakdown on fighting multiple attackers. Aggression.

Wow. That kid kicked ass. Hilarious, the breakdown. Locking on target, etc..

-T

I know a bouncer who got jumped by three big Irish guys because they thought he was an English dude stealing their woman. He said the only reason he didn't get put on the ground and stomped into a hospital bed is because of his sport karate training - the footwork and athleticism kept him in the fight.

I know a bouncer who got jumped by three big Irish guys because they thought he was an English dude stealing their woman. He said the only reason he didn't get put on the ground and stomped into a hospital bed is because of his sport karate training - the footwork and athleticism kept him in the fight.

If there is one martial art that would be considered the best in a multi attacker fight, that has to be a striking martial art. BJJ is not it.

-T

So this is your logic: I say that you can't properly train for multiple attackers, and the best course of action is seeking to flee,

You say that's false, and of course someone can handle multiple attackers.

I ask for any evidence of this, you can't provide any.

I provide a generic scenario, and ask how could multiple attackers be handled, but you claim it's too artificial so you won't even respond. You say it's too silly.

You say real life is too dynamic to have any sort of plan. But then you claim you can be trained to do so?

So which one is it? Real life is so dynamic you can never have a plan or training? Or you can be trained to handle multiple attackers?

Oh yeah, I forgot about all the ad hominems you throw in, the last vestiges of a moron that has CLEARLY been hit in the head one too many times. I guess it is true that boxers get brain damage - you're living proof!

The reality is that a situation where a person would be in a 1v1 confrontation, or Nv1 confrontation, is already exceedingly rare unless you're still in high school or something. If you happen to live in a bad neighborhood, or are confronted by a mugger, the greatest possibly is that your attacker will be armed.

So training to defend in a multiple unarmed attacker scenario is stupid. The odds are stacked against you, and you have nothing to gain. Unless, of course, you are in a high school fight and want to show how tough you are.

Or will you also argue that you are badass enough to take on multiple, armed attackers too? 3 guys with knives? That's a normal day for n.diazismylife "Jack Reacher" 1999.

Do you think Jack Reacher is based on a true story?

I saw it happen live several times back in the late 80's/early 90's. You want to know what was funny? It always went down similar to Jack Reacher's story. I will describe the scenario.

In those days where I was gangs were still a thing so multiple attackers/opponent scenarios were not uncommon, and if you were w/ a large enough group of people (3 - 4+) you would be considered a legal target for plenty of gang punks. There was this huge Chinese guy (think of Enson Inoue build, the guy was a [American] football player and solid power puncher, little bit chubby so he looked like a giant Chinese baby) that would sometimes hang w/ us. His thing was to get into situations where he would get himself surrounded by 5-6 guys. *Sidenote - to be fair, I only ever saw him do this while he had us savages in tow* So he'd get surrounded, and then go into this spiel, a real act where he'd start to play victim and rant louder and louder over the course of the monologue, and THEY ALWAYS LISTENED. As he would be delivering the spiel/pitch he would also be slowly taking out his belt and wrapping it around his right fist, and this would happen in a David Blaine/Copperfield fashion - they would always listen to the pitch because in ways he would feed their ego and he'd pull a funky misdirection w/ the belt and they would never clue-in/get set off by the fact that he was wrapping his hand. The first time I saw it happen I was amazed.

Then, out of the blue, he would put down the biggest guy with one shot. Turn to another and repeat, turn to another and repeat. This part of this situation happens in 4 - 7 seconds. After the first 3 went down the "realities of the situation" would change for any of the remaining guys; the guy they thought they wanted to fight was not the same guy they wanted to fight.

Now yes, to one of your points, the remaining guys (including any affiliated onlookers) would not run for the hills and flee, but they would flee from him and attack the rest of us because he personally had broken them and they wanted "easier" prey, and "they" always had a numbers advantage on us as a group; usually someone in their ranks would run go fecth another batch of guys and we'd end up having to pull a Warriors and book it. It pretty much happened the same way each time. Sure there were plenty of little differences and idiosyncrasies between each of the instances, but overall this was a set-piece performance that he could pull off almost at will under the right circumstances.

Last edited:

"We're not talking about a bunch of accountants, we're talking about 2 or 3 big strong mean guys pissed off at you.. and they're all gonna gang bang you at the same time!" - Paul Vunak (1:28)

:D

Just accept that fact that different martial arts are designed for different things. There is too much discussion about which one is the best and not enough about which is appropriate in each situation.

Aikido is the best thing ever for preventing someone from stopping your sword draw and cutting their face off. It's not good against boxers, nor was it designed for grappling matches. Kendo is terrible against a man with a rifle 25 yards away, so is a pistol, etc.

BJJ is damn near useless if you are jumped by 3 people but dutch kickboxing is totally viable. Solution? Learn both. "But I don't have time, other things are more important to me!" Nobody cares.

Kali is great for knife fighting. "But knife fighting is illegal! I like to stick around and talk to cops and justify myself". Not Kali's problem. Kali is probably one of the few remaining martial arts that would have some small utility to an actual soldier.

It's not designed for being all "legally" and whatnot. Life is cheap, there is no army of lawyers to give a fuck. In the Philippines, I'd rather be a master of Kali than BJJ. Then again, I'd rather have a pistol than either of them.

In a nuclear war, I'd rather have my finger on the button while I'm flying away in a space ship. Not that it matters at that point. lol

Last edited:

"We're not talking about a bunch of accountants, we're talking about 2 or 3 big strong mean guys pissed off at you.. and they're all gonna gang bang you at the same time!" - Paul Vunak (1:28)

:D

I've done 3 on 1 sparring with heavy contact(although not in a parking lot)Shit is no fun at all. Forget nice, clean techniques; you just hit anything that moves while trying to keep from getting KTFO yourself.:)

Sas - speed, aggression, suprise

If you can't run be fast be first and be hard

Sas - speed, aggression, suprise

If you can't run be fast be first and be hard

See your bold font. Uh, what did you have in mind with that?? Maybe I do not wanna know. :)

-T

See your bold font. Uh, what did you have in mind with that?? Maybe I do not wanna know. :)

-T
Very funny, no I'm talking front kicks to knees, throat punches, eye gouging, knockout. Don't go for body punches etc, idea is to make attacker disabled as quickly as possible

Back