Media Stranger optics: Dern getting her 3rd stripe after Hill dec or Couture getting BB for subbing Toney?

They didn't receive the stripe/belt based on those performances. They're coaches were already going to award them, but they used the fights as an opportunity to do it publicly on a big stage. It's really not that complicated.

+juan

And Randys was not a BJJ belt but a "catch wrestling" belt.
He was to be rewarded weeks before the fight but his coach decided to give it after the fight instead.
The fight had nothing to do with him getting the belt.
Its clear to see who have never trained in this thread.

I've been training UFC for years so it was a much more significant accomplishment when I awarded myself a black belt in the discipline. Very few of us have attained this honor. Ratified air.

I don't really get these degrees for BJJ black belts.

Werdum is only a 2nd degree BJJ black belt. Do you know who else is a 2nd degree BJJ Black belt?

Marc Goddard.

gFUySxUM_400x400.jpg

Do you know who is the 1st degree BJJ black belt? Kron Gracie.

It seems so meaningless.

I'm actually a black belt under Mackenzie father too. Degrees are given if you are still practicing and passing the art of BJJ to others.

So a competitor, teachers, spokesman , coach, referee , volunteer, all that incubus the BJJ lifestyle. The degrees don't make you any better in BJJ it's self if that's what your thinking.

Last edited:
I'm actually a black belt under Mackenzie father too. Degrees are given if you are still practicing and passing the art of BJJ to others.

So a competitor, teachers, spokesman , coach, referee , volunteer, all the incubus BJj lifestyle. The degrees don't make you any better in BJJ it's self if that's what your thinking.
Megaton is on the cusp of atg discussion. Wished he ended his career in historic, cinderella man fashion with a mundial gold.

Couture was simply honored for proving fighting superior over the inferior sport. It was a gesture that the man earned. Well earned.

Traditionally speaking, stripes on black belts are given out based on time as a black belt not performances.

Given who her dad is I'm pretty sure she was due for her stripe and just chose that stage to award it to her.

So a competitor, teachers, spokesman , coach, referee , volunteer, all that incubus the BJJ lifestyle. The degrees don't make you any better in BJJ it's self if that's what your thinking.

oh yeah I think I remember talking to you about one of Dern's fight and I think I remember. I forget which one though, a couple years ago I don't know, but war Dern! She got better, maybe she will get even better.

Kron was a 4th degree BB but after his last fight they took away 3 degrees. Another one like that and he loses the last name Gracie and will compete as Kron Johnston.

Oh well according to Kron it was peer pressure, he just needs three more wins to get it back!

I forget who it was, but I remember someone telling a story about Helio Gracie showing up in one of the affiliate schools shortly before he died and adding a couple of stripes to his grandsons' belts. Everybody there was mad, but they obviously didn't say shit around any of the Gracies.

Also, past a certain point, it's just about how prominent they are in the Jiu Jitsu community and how many students they have.

Haven't heard that before, but if there is one universal thing that pisses people off in a bad way, it's preferential treatment imo. I like Helio though, but Gracies in general doesn't seem to have best reputation out there. What happend to Renzo beating up that club bodyguard/doorman or whatever it was with his buddies or whatever, never found out what happened to that.

Belts and degrees are basically just a scheme based on gradification tactics that we largely only follow because of tradition.

Kinda like Mcdonalds, keep poor folks like me happy and gratified.

Back