Stop Equating Science With Truth

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...obvious_example_of_how_science_is_flawed.html

Guys, it's 2017why are you still equating science and truth? Science is done by white men to uphold the patriarchy. Peer-review is useless because its just more white men circle jerking each other. Stop listening to science you fucking bigots.

EDIT: Notice how all the posters below just make offhanded comments about me? That's called shit posting. Don't be a shit poster. Comment on the article instead :^)
0/10

There's legitimate criticisms of unwavering faith in science, see Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Then see the unsolved problems of epistemology via Hume => Kant => Husserl => Hiedegger => and the others.
I just read The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. It was fascinating. Do you recommend any specific works from the philosophers you listed?

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...obvious_example_of_how_science_is_flawed.html

Guys, it's 2017why are you still equating science and truth? Science is done by white men to uphold the patriarchy. Peer-review is useless because its just more white men circle jerking each other. Stop listening to science you fucking bigots.

EDIT: Notice how all the posters below just make offhanded comments about me? That's called shit posting. Don't be a shit poster. Comment on the article instead :^)
The highlighted part isn't wrong but scientific inquiry isn't inherently a patriarchal pursuit. It can be manipulated or misrepresented to further a patriarchal agenda but the scientific method if applied properly is not patriarchal.

There can be a patriarchal bias in research or at the very least a cultural one. For instance observers have recently pointed out that most psychological studies have been conducted on white westerners and so have an implicit cultural bias. Some aspects of psychology might not be as universal as we believe them to be if the field of study is expanded to a diversity of different cultural experiences.

Also, an equally prevalent issue with modern science is its monetization. Researchers know they will get more funding if they conduct research that can garner media attention and thereby raise the profile of the insitution they represent; so, it behooves these researchers to chase publicity rather than more humdrum, but still meaningful, pursuits.

I just read The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. It was fascinating. Do you recommend any specific works from the philosophers you listed?

All of them are interesting.

Heidegger is probably the strangest and most far-out. It's like sit and stare out the window in paralyzing contemplation type reading. The craziest thing about Heidegger is that if you really take the time to think about his arguments, you stand a strong chance of changing not only the way you think about the world but also the actions you take.

Hume and Kant are more direct, trying to solve specific problems. Hume pushes things about as far as common sense will take him. Kant tries to go deeper. The outcome is highly questionable, but he illustrates incredibly vexing philosophical problems in the process.

Husserl is very interesting. His views radically changed over the course of his career. His last work, The Crisis of European Sciences and Transcendental Phenomenology, is really dope and straight forward. I'd actually recommend that above all the others because it kind of picks from each and gives a great summary.

All of them are interesting.

Heidegger is probably the strangest and most far-out. It's like sit and stare out the window in paralyzing contemplation type reading. The craziest thing about Heidegger is that if you really take the time to think about his arguments, you stand a strong chance of changing not only the way you think about the world but also the actions you take.

Hume and Kant are more direct, trying to solve specific problems. Hume pushes things about as far as common sense will take him. Kant tries to go deeper. The outcome is highly questionable, but he illustrates incredibly vexing philosophical problems in the process.

Husserl is very interesting. His views radically changed over the course of his career. His last work, The Crisis of European Sciences and Transcendental Phenomenology, is really dope and straight forward. I'd actually recommend that above all the others because it kind of picks from each and gives a great summary.
Sweet thanks for the recommendations.

Science should be seen as systematically reaching toward the truth.

But truthful conclusions can fall into any political or philosophical camp, or even multiple camps at once. Recognition of how scientific facts become entangled with values and rhetoric is important.

reaching toward material truth*

:)

sup buddy? all of these arguments are pretty annoying to me. how about we simply judge individuals? If a woman can do the job, she can do it. If she can't, she can't. Clearly, there are women that can do the job. I don't see how any of this got started.

I just think sexism is so dumb -- all groupthink is ridiculous, but for some reason I find sexism to be the most small-minded shit. In that memo he repeatedly states that we can't take data on populations and apply it to any specific individual.

giphy.gif

Doesn't that mean the end of the memo?

Unrelated to anything going on here, i'd like to take a moment and warn you about putting your identity out on the forums. Seriously bruh, that shit can go real real south.

Thanks for the warning, but I try to cautious that I don't give out anything identifiable. I link to papers that I've read or cite, but I never link to one of my papers.
You mods can probably figure out my identity from one of my ip addresses though.

I don't recall you ever showing a solid grasp of science.

ed: took a peek through some of your older stuff. Wow. What the fuck happened to you? It only reads like the same person because you sounded angry back then too. But you used to sound smart. Now you sound fucking retarded all the time. Maybe politics isn't your thing.

Last edited:
what did Kuhn say.

I didn't do that reading.
Kuhn basically made the case that science is a continually evolving process that by virtue of the scientific method challenges the established orthodoxy which is met with resistance but the truth always bears out. At least that's what I took from it. He details how the process occurs in the academic institutions and research at large. One of the most interesting points he made is that's the science that is taught in school is by nature or the process outdated as it consistents of orthodox research and not cutting edge research as true scientific inquiry can only be done in the field.

Hard science breaks down like the wave packet at the QM level.

Where's that electron?
Can't say.
We can only say where it's most likely to be.

That's not exactly truth, really.
It's truthy, though

Thanks for the warning, but I try to cautious that I don't give out anything identifiable. I link to papers that I've read or cite, but I never link to one of my papers.
You mods can probably figure out my identity from one of my ip addresses though.
All good. Just lookin out.

I'm offended!
You called me guy.

Back