Stocks

Be an odd lot (small investor) contrarian. When your barber, bartender, or some random sloot starts talking about how awesome the market is, or how horrible things are.....you do the exact opposite.

Read The Intelligent Investor.

Then read a Random Walk down Wall Street.

IMO the 2 most fundamental books on investing.

Virgin olive oil? Some of the terms I am reading in this thread so far are foreign language to me my bad. I do however know you weren't referring to olive oil lol

Vangaurd VOO ETF :)

Just invest in index funds. I dedicated two years of my life to learn day trading and could not succeed.

Spend a few bucks on a paperback book by Peter Lynch, read it, google unfamiliar jargon. Keep in mind, many talking head experts are totally full of shit.

Just buy actual weed instead. You can make more money that way.

Just invest in index funds. I dedicated two years of my life to learn day trading and could not succeed.
Good advice for a new investor. As for you, why quit now after so much time and effort? You're probably almost there and about to turn the corner.

Good advice for a new investor. As for you, why quit now after so much time and effort? You're probably almost there and about to turn the corner.

It is frustrating as hell as I keep breaking even. I will have big winners and big losers. I just can't be consistent. Also, in the beginning I enjoyed it, but after two years of looking at live charts I dreaded open my laptop. I have read dozens of books on day trading, 2000 live hours watching the market, and have studied 3 years worth of historical Futures charts, but I still cannot go beyond making a small profit on the year.

So I am sure there have been a few threads on this issue.
I am not very educated in this...at all... Hoping some people would with experience can give me some advice. Or point me to a good site for new people that know jack shit.

For example I am looking to get into Mary Jane stocks with this income tax return of a 2-3 grand maybe more coming up within the month....Interested to hear from people of Sherdog
Google search index etf

It is frustrating as hell as I keep breaking even. I will have big winners and big losers. I just can't be consistent. Also, in the beginning I enjoyed it, but after two years of looking at live charts I dreaded open my laptop. I have read dozens of books on day trading, 2000 live hours watching the market, and have studied 3 years worth of historical Futures charts, but I still cannot go beyond making a small profit on the year.

Two years is more than enough time to know if you have it or you dont have it. I've read a statistic that 95% of the day traders lost money over the long run. When you are day trading you are essentially gambling and the fees will eat you up. I would guess there is a reason 95% of the gamblers also lose money in the long run which is consistent with day traders success rates.

Kids if you want to make money its best to buy index ETF's and dont even look at their performances. That is the best way to make the most out of the market as even managed mutual funds under perform the indexes. Dont every try to time the market....those are the lesson's ive learned.

If you want to know about stocks, start with this movie. It will teach you all you need to know.

MPW-53095

Here's a stock photo of stocks for your thread on stocks.
5649333-Medieval-wooden-stocks-used-to-torture-people-Stock-Photo.jpg

Two years is more than enough time to know if you have it or you dont have it. I've read a statistic that 95% of the day traders lost money over the long run. When you are day trading you are essentially gambling and the fees will eat you up. I would guess there is a reason 95% of the gamblers also lose money in the long run which is consistent with day traders success rates.

Kids if you want to make money its best to buy index ETF's and dont even look at their performances. That is the best way to make the most out of the market as even managed mutual funds under perform the indexes. Dont every try to time the market....those are the lesson's ive learned.
As one who makes a living by timing the market, I respectfully disagree. Short-term trading is no different than any business where the vast majority fail within 5 years. He said he was profitable, so he's on the right track...and probably not off by much. Likely some self-sabotage or other psych issues holding him back.

But you're right about the index ETF's (preferably the SPY) as being the safest, easiest, and least costly vehicle for newbies who just want to "buy and hope."

I've been fucking around with investing in the stock market over the past year and a half.

All I've managed to do is buy the wrong stocks, or buy the right stocks and sell at the wrong time.

Overall things have not gone well. It stresses me out to open my account and view my losses and it absolutely haunts me seeing what some of the companies I sold early on are actually worth now.

This shit ain't for the faint of heart.

Yea I have no idea what I'm doing here. I just figure it might be a good time for a noob like me to jump on the marijuana train. Take a chance with something. I make okay money and live a simple life. So work covers me and this bonus money from my return I should feel like taking a chance with it this year

Marijuana stocks are not easy money. It's an incredible amount of luck. They are extremely volatile and many of them are already extremely over valued. Things sky rocket or collapse for no reason whatsoever. Some of the bigger companies are starting to separate themselves from the pack, but much of it is still purely speculative. My buddy has done extremely well just guessing (he's probably up 500%), where as I'm down about 20% overall with my weed stocks.

As one who makes a living by timing the market, I respectfully disagree. Short-term trading is no different than any business where the vast majority fail within 5 years. He said he was profitable, so he's on the right track...and probably not off by much. Likely some self-sabotage or other psych issues holding him back.

But you're right about the index ETF's (preferably the SPY) as being the safest, easiest, and least costly vehicle for newbies who just want to "buy and hope."
I think a tiny percentage can make it and you may be one of the few that does but i've read statistics from multiple sources stating about 90+ % of the day traders losing over the long run. The market has been on a upswing for a good 7 years now but i want to see people making it during the down years as well. Furthermore, if he was profitable for two years he would have kept at it.

To me atleast day trading is very difficult and the failure rate is so high that there is a better way to make money in the market in the long run which is also a lot easier as well. The power of compounding cant be duplicated by day trading.

I've been fucking around with investing in the stock market over the past year and a half.

All I've managed to do is buy the wrong stocks, or buy the right stocks and sell at the wrong time.

Overall things have not gone well. It stresses me out to open my account and view my losses and it absolutely haunts me seeing what some of the companies I sold early on are actually worth now.

Your biggest mistake is trying to time the market, if you had kept all of the shares and didnt sell one you would probably be well in the green. Trust me timing the market is a lost cause which ive learned over the years.

Last edited:

No worries, just don't lose too much while you're learning to stay cool and unaffected by every move. Also read everything you can on markets.

My first trade was in 2000, right at the top of the Internet bubble. I bought a few random stocks and they doubled in a couple days. I was expecting to retire in a year with those returns! Of course I rode them all the way to zero...lol. But that's how you learn.

Back