STIPE GOAT - right guy, wrong time

BoxerSunny

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
the Stipe GOAT talks needs to stop, at the end of the day his run was against older broken down fighters - I think he would’ve lost to JDS, REEM, BOOMERRANG, if they fought 5 years prior. I think his best performance was against Mr Ford Fiesta and despite a world class game plan he proved his KO power was not what it was hyped to be. With the Cormier fight I’m expecting him to loose however once again he is fighting a 41 year old veteran who like the REEM etc has been through wars. Strikeforce DC merks Stipe no doubt. Stipe is championship callibour however he was struggle immensely with younger fighters ala Blaydes, Volkov etc. He can’t be called GOAT cause he’s beaten world class fighters past their primes.

Stipe GOAT.

Overeem has always been the same when getting punched. So no. Reem would have been knocked out at any stage. And no one considers Stipe the GOAT yet. Funny you mention past prime fighters. Pretty sure Jon Jones' legacy apart from cheating and drugs is past prime fighters.

Werdum and Overeem had just gotten the biggest wins of their careers ( over Cain and Junior) and were looking great when he fought them.

Fedor - #1 HW of all time (12 ranked HW wins)

#1 fighters defeated (1):
Nogueira 1
Top 5 fighters defeated (5):
Nogueira 3
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Sylvia
Herring
Top 10 fighters defeated (6):
Coleman 1
Hunt
Randleman
Schilt
Rogers
Fujita

Nogueira - #2 HW of all time (13 ranked HW wins)

Coleman
Top 5 fighters defeated (5):
Cro Cop
Sylvia
Herring 1
Barnett 2
Rodriguez
Top 10 fighters defeated (7):
Couture
Werdum
Herring 2
Kharitonov
Schaub
Schilt
Overeem

Werdum - #3 HW of all time (11 ranked HW wins)

#1 fighters defeated (2):
Fedor
Velasquez
Top 5 fighters defeated (2):
Hunt
Browne
Top 10 fighters defeated (7):
Tybura
Overeem
Gonzaga
Nelson
Alexander Emelianenko
Russow
Erikson

JDS - #4 HW of all time (9 ranked HW wins)

Velasquez
Top 5 fighters defeated (3):
Rothwell
Carwin
Hunt
Top 10 fighters defeated (5):
Miocic
Mir
Nelson
Cro Cop
Werdum

Overeem - #5 HW of all time (8 ranked HW wins)

Werdum 2
Top 5 fighters defeated (4):
Werdum 3
Arlovski
JDS
Lesnar
Top 10 fighters defeated (3):
Hunt 2
Struve
Mir

Miocic - #6 HW of all time (6 ranked HW wins)

Werdum
Top 5 fighters defeated (4):
Hunt
Overeem
JDS
Ngnannou
Top 10 fighters defeated (1):
Arlovski

Stipe's body of work is too small to be considered in the running.

Overeem has always been the same when getting punched. So no. Reem would have been knocked out at any stage. And no one considers Stipe the GOAT yet. Funny you mention past prime fighters. Pretty sure Jon Jones' legacy apart from cheating and drugs is past prime fighters.

2007-2012 Reem has the industry shook. 12 fight unbeaten streak and fought like a monster - this is the fighter I’m referring to.

Jones does magical things - every performance. KOing old fighters is nothing special in my book.

I can’t recall a single performance that Stipe looked world class, the guy is goofy and gets caught in 5 years he’ll be a walking heavy bag and be on the recieving end of KOs

2007-2012 Reem has the industry shook. 12 fight unbeaten streak and fought like a monster - this is the fighter I’m referring to.

Jones does magical things - every performance. KOing old fighters is nothing special in my book.

I can’t recall a single performance that Stipe looked world class, the guy is goofy and gets caught in 5 years he’ll be a walking heavy bag and be on the recieving end of KOs

Well unlike Jones Stipe is fighting HW murderers. Not small LHWs and MWs. I'd love to see Jones do his "magical" stuff at HW.

Stipe is the greatest heavyweight we have ever seen in MMA.

Werdum and Overeem had just gotten the biggest wins of their careers ( over Cain and Junior) and were looking great when he fought them.

agreed to default. Junior was not the same junior and Cain could not breathe after 30 seconds

he lost to struve lol
Name another heavyweight GOAT candidate without a loss as bad or even worse? Really the only guy people argue against Stipe anymore is Fedor and he has way mor inexcusable losses.

Stipe has the perfect combination of non-technical qualities to be a successful HW. He could beat any HW, but then he could also get KTFO'd by a lot of them just as easily.

With the Cormier fight I’m expecting him to loose however once again he is fighting a 41 year old veteran who like the REEM etc has been through wars.
And here is it, idiots already trying to diminish Stipe's possible win over Cormier before that even happens. Typical stupidity from sherdog.
Stipe is championship callibour however he was struggle immensely with younger fighters ala Blaydes, Volkov etc.
Lol what? How do you know? Based on what?

Exactly, he's fought against guys with massive amounts of miles in them and then a guy with very little experience. I personally don't consider him top3 hw even though he is good. Still think it's werdum since he finished nog, fedor, Cain, who are all the other candidates. If not werdum then Cain is the UFC hw goat

Name another heavyweight GOAT candidate without a loss as bad or even worse? Really the only guy people argue against Stipe anymore is Fedor and he has way mor inexcusable losses.
Fedor's worst losses are to Hendo and Meathead, 11 and 17 years into his MMA career.
Nog's worst losses are to Nelson and Stipe, 15 and 16 years into his MMA career.
Werdum's worst loss is to Volkov, 16 years into his MMA career.
Stipe's worst loss is to Struve, 2 years into his MMA career.

It's kinda different losing to sub-par/average fighters on the tail end of your career man. It's expected.

That's a misleading statement on several levels.

1) Cain wasn't the biggest win of Werdum's career. Fedor was.

2) The post-Cain JDS that Overeem beat isn't nearly the killer he was before.

3) The Cain that Werdum beat has been severely compromised as well.... which is why he never fights... because he's wrecked himself training like an idiot.

Yeah man!Everyone sucks!Everyone that doesn't suck is a GOAT!Seriously though,only thing correct by TS is we don't need to call everyone goat.

Last edited:
Fedor's worst losses are to Hendo and Meathead, 11 and 17 years into his MMA career.
Nog's worst losses are to Nelson and Stipe, 15 and 16 years into his MMA career.
Werdum's worst loss is to Volkov, 16 years into his MMA career.
Stipe's worst loss is to Struve, 2 years into his MMA career.

It's kinda different losing to sub-par/average fighters on the tail end of your career man. It's expected.
Losing because you fought someone too early vs too late is the same thing

Losing to a middleweight would be looked at as inexcusable in this day and age. Nobody would ever give Stipe the time of day if he lost to Yoel Romero or Bobby Whittaker, both of which would kick the shit out of Hendo.

It's an example of how the standards were lower back then. If you bring up the Struve loss but try to explain away the Hendo loss... I mean come on. It shouldn't even have to be argued against

Back