Steven Segal disarms man in demonstration.

No disrespect, but a blue belt in Yoga, or organised dance could of beat that guy.....if they gave belts
Ease said then done.

Inside the internetz everybody is a badass with a attitude,the technique and the cojones to beat anyone.

Its besides the point though.

A lot a less know MAs doesn't do full sparring,it doesn't mean it's useless as a self defense option.

People here,like the ragingBJJ dude above,think that if you can't use in a cage or against another well trained fighter at any occasion,it's useless.

Ive did on and off security work and i can tell BJJ it's useless or useful depending on the circumstances of the fight you get in.
I can tell the same about aikido or ANY TMA.
the small joint manipulation is very useful to control a problematic individual if you need to take him out of the room.

I know for a fact that the metropolitan subway security corps.(in Sao Paulo/Brazil)used to train their operatives on basic aikido techniques as a option to control threatening individuals.
thats because Aikido and BJJ come from the same place. Its all from Japan. Aikid
Is completely different though.i agree with you.
Its just that People just try to belittle one instead of the other for pure bias.

Well when Steven Segal is your poster child for Aikido then you can't blame others for making fun of it. Segal actually practiced many arts and reached black belt in others...but he's notoriously arrogant but got choked out by the Great Judo Gene Lebell. I know Aikido has value but in my opinion...BJJ all day! Aikido ignores the aspect that BJJ spends a lot of time in, and thats stuff like escaping a mount. Aikido doesn't address the simple strength and pressure that BJJ and wrestling does. How do you escape a bigger person on top of you?? Aikido aint going to help that.

The only reason why Aikido doesn't work in the sport of MMA is because it's too brutal.

Steven Seagal would still destroy any MMA fighter in a parking lot or a bar barring a lucky punch.

His martial art style if it was allowed in MMA would end fights and injure those unlucky to actually challenge him very quickly.
as long as they threw a 20 percent punch and knew to flip for him.

Cooperation. Cooperation, it's keeping me...forget it..

thats because Aikido and BJJ come from the same place. Its all from Japan. Aikid

Well when Steven Segal is your poster child for Aikido then you can't blame others for making fun of it. Segal actually practiced many arts and reached black belt in others...but he's notoriously arrogant but got choked out by the Great Judo Gene Lebell. I know Aikido has value but in my opinion...BJJ all day! Aikido ignores the aspect that BJJ spends a lot of time in, and thats stuff like escaping a mount. Aikido doesn't address the simple strength and pressure that BJJ and wrestling does. How do you escape a bigger person on top of you?? Aikido aint going to help that.
ok

Never said Seagull is my "poster child"in any part of any if my posts.

My point is a technique is not "better" or "worse"the any other,all have their usefulness depending on the circumstances.

A kyokushin karateka doesn't Know how to scape a full mount and a BJJ fighter have problems defending against a long range striker.

Can we separate what is more useful inside a usual set of rules as a better method of self defense?
Yes,is pretty ease.
That doesn't mean anything outside of that group of techniques are useless on the day by day depending on the situation.

If it was real, it would be really cool..

I will say this, in all honesty, he has a better chance of disarming a person than somebody with no training at all.

some of you are mistaking the flips as some sort of pre-empted gymnastics to look flashy
if you performed udi garami ( bent arm lock) and transitioned it into a hip throw as an example , and you didnt jump, flip or at least go with the technique for the purpose of training , youd get your shoulder /elbow/tendons dislocated/torn
Flipping looks great for the movies/training but real life youd only be hearing the scream as you dislocated their shoulder/elbow etc

He looks like a chef with that kind of clothes

WAR SENSEI

PpePlsF.gif

ok

Never said Seagull is my "poster child"in any part of any if my posts.

My point is a technique is not "better" or "worse"the any other,all have their usefulness depending on the circumstances.

A kyokushin karateka doesn't Know how to scape a full mount and a BJJ fighter have problems defending against a long range striker.

Can we separate what is more useful inside a usual set of rules as a better method of self defense?
Yes,is pretty ease.
That doesn't mean anything outside of that group of techniques are useless on the day by day depending on the situation.
BJJ>Aikido...thats all Im saying

the small joint manipulation is very useful to control a problematic individual if you need to take him out of the room.

A wristlock isn't a small joint manipulation and is perfectly legal in BJJ and MMA. I doubt you are talking about how you can control dudes by breaking their fingers.

A wristlock isn't a small joint manipulation and is perfectly legal in BJJ and MMA. I doubt you are talking about how you can control dudes by breaking their fingers.
So now a wristlock is suposed to be exclusive to BJJ or MMA?

And im sorry the wrist is a small joint.

Edit.
I am not talking about the unified rules here.
My point is about self defense usability.

Poeple should just stop being so anal about some forms of MAs,most of the techniques and formats are basically variations of something already existent on Another format anyway.

Just because shorinji kempo,aikido doesn't have hard sparring doesn't mean it doesn't have ANY usability in certain circumstances.

I don't see people saying krav maga or silat are useless because they dont do hard sparring or don't have competitional events.

Last edited:
So now a wristlock is suposed to be exclusive to BJJ or MMA?

And im sorry the wrist is a small joint.

Edit.
I am not talking about the unified rules here.
My point is about self defense usability.

I never said that they were exclusive to BJJ, just on the contrary that they aren't specific and exclusive to aikido. And it really show your bad faith that you'd call the wrist a small joint, while that terminology is never used to describe the wrist in aikido, BJJ or MMA. What's the point of praising aikido if the only useful parts are also available in a better applied way in both MMA and BJJ?

I never said that they were exclusive to BJJ, just on the contrary that they aren't specific and exclusive to aikido. And it really show your bad faith that you'd call the wrist a small joint, while that terminology is never used to describe the wrist in aikido, BJJ or MMA. What's the point of praising aikido if the only useful parts are also available in a better applied way in both MMA and BJJ?

Sorry if i made myself sound like im trying to be partial towards one format or another.
That's not the case,cos i am not "praising" aikido or demeaning BJJ.
I am unbiased as one can be.
IMO people saying "its useless "are the ones showing myopic opinions.

How many times i read here comments disparaging other TMAs until some fighter uses inside the cage and the idiots claim "its the new dawn of MMA!! herp derp!"

And look at a basic anatomy book
The wrist is a small joint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back