Stephen King's CASTLE ROCK Anthology Series (Premieres July 25, 2018)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Stephen King Anthology CASTLE ROCK From J.J. Abrams Set at Hulu

HVAIDJb.png

Hulu is going back to Stephen King and J.J. Abrams for its next drama. The streaming service has ordered anthology Castle Rock, named after the town featured in many of King's books.

The anthology will weave together characters and themes from those novels that use the Castle Rock location. Each season will follow a different set of characters and storylines while interjecting themes and specific characters from previous seasons.

Castle Rock is the fictional Maine town where many of his novels and short stories have been set. It first appeared in 1979's The Dead Zone and takes its name from the fictional mountain fort in William Golding's 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. The town has been featured in The Dead Zone, Cujo, The Body, Uncle Otto's Truck, Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, The Dark Half, The Sun Dog, Needful Things and It Grows on You, among many others.

Stephen King Anthology 'Castle Rock' From J.J. Abrams Set at Hulu

Update: August 15, 2017

Scott Glenn Joins Stephen King's CASTLE ROCK Anthology Series on Hulu

YAwVt14.jpg

Castle Rock is filling out its cast. The Hulu anthology series has added The Leftovers and The Defenders actor Scott Glenn as a series regular. He'll play Alan Pangborn, a retired sheriff who presided over some of the darkest years in Castle Rock's checkered history — a Kingian icon at the center of Needful Things and The Dark Half.

Glenn joins the 10-episode project's previously announced cast, which includes Moonlight breakout Andre Holland, Sissy Spacek, Melanie Lynskey, Jane Levy and Bill Skarsgard.

A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King's most loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland.

Scott Glenn is the latest actor to board the streamer's J.J. Abrams and Stephen King anthology

Nice. Does this mean it takes place after all the events in King books or something? Still not quite sure what this series is gonna be, but I'm intrigued nonetheless. It can't be worse than The Mist series.

Nice. Does this mean it takes place after all the events in King books or something? Still not quite sure what this series is gonna be, but I'm intrigued nonetheless. It can't be worse than The Mist series.

I tapped out after watching the first two episodes of The Mist. Too dragging. The main characters are annoying. The male lead is miscast (he was great as a villain in Person of Interest and Allegiance though). The Mist fits better as a two-hour movie but the TV show is just stretching it, padding it with dull moments and forced drama to kill time.

Update: August 29, 2017

LOST Alum Terry O'Quinn Joins Stephen King's CASTLE ROCK Series

gVkiDti.jpg

Lost alum Terry O’Quinn is reuniting with the hit ABC series’ co-creator/executive producer J.J. Abrams on another genre drama. O’Quinn has been cast in a key role in Hulu’s upcoming psychological-horror drama series Castle Rock from Abrams and Stephen King.

Set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock, from Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television, is named after the fictional town in King’s native Maine that is featured prominently in a number of his novels, novellas and short stories. Per the producers, it combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland.

O’Quinn will play Dale Lacy, a pillar of the community in the town of Castle Rock. He joins previously cast André Holland, Scott Glenn, Sissy Spacek, Melanie Lynskey, Jane Levy and Bill Skarsgard.

O’Quinn was most recently seen in the role of Tom Tavner on Amazon’s Patriot and as a recurring on The Blacklist: Redemption. He previously had a co-starring role on Secrets and Lies.

‘Castle Rock’: Terry O’Quinn Cast In Hulu’s J.J. Abrams/Stephen King Series

This sounds very interesting. I'm definitely down to check it out.

King is a fucking boss.

I tapped out after watching the first two episodes of The Mist. Too dragging. The main characters are annoying. The male lead is miscast (he was great as a villain in Person of Interest and Allegiance though). The Mist fits better as a two-hour movie but the TV show is just stretching it, padding it with dull moments and forced drama to kill time.

And you deduced all this after only two episodes. . . Mmm hmm.

The show gets better as it progresses. Eps 7, 8 and 10 are probably the best of the series.

I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. 7.5/10

And you deduced all this after only two episodes. . . Mmm hmm.

The show gets better as it progresses. Eps 7, 8 and 10 are probably the best of the series.

I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. 7.5/10
I have too many shows to watch. I had to cut out some on my list and The Mist TV series annoyed me. But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Update: October 8, 2017

First Teaser Trailer for CASTLE ROCK Features Easter Eggs from Stephen King's Stories

Enter the chilling world of Castle Rock, the new Hulu Original drama series from Executive Producer J.J. Abrams and the mind of Stephen King.

I'm looking forward to this. Wish we didn't have to wait until 2018.

King's stuff usually makes for compelling TV/movies. Even when the adaptations are sketchy (like the Shining mini-series) the result is usually still interesting to watch.

Update: February 1, 2018

2nd Teaser Trailer for Hulu's CASTLE ROCK to Air at Super Bowl

A little off topic, but I just re-watched Stand By Me yesterday, and I noticed that while talking about living in Castle Rock they also mentioned that they were living by Portland, Oregon. I never read the novella, so maybe its just a movie thing.

Just thought it was interesting.

Last edited:
I am down for this. I really hope it's good.

As we know, King's TV adaptations are hit and miss, but I'm hoping for positive results here.

I love the idea behind the show. A series that helps connect all of the stories that took place in the town.

Cautiously optimistic about this one.

Looking forward to seeing Alan Pangborn arrest Ace Merril while some weird invisible goblin tries to cut the life strings on Cujos owner with the razor he bought from Leland Gaunt in the shop across the street from Pop Merrill.

Watching it now. On episode 2. Loving it and the nods to other king novels has all the feels

goddamn i can't wait until this hits the streets here i am a sucker for Kings craziness i like his TV adaptions hell i liked the langoliers movie

Back