STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
caitlyn jenner is better than the tlj

This kind of transphobic and bigoted hate speech isn’t going to fly here, bro. I thought we were all on board that Caitlyn Jenner is an amazing beautiful woman who had the exquisite bravery of a beautiful butterfly flying against the wind. And then this s— flies out of people’s mouths!

Replace Caitlyn Jenner with Rey and same principle stands.

<{cum@me}>

The problem i have with this is, is then what was the point?
DJ says join or don't join, doesn't matter. Luke is saying the Jedi are dead and have hubris, so it doesnt matter. Ren is saying forget the old and everyone else because they don't matter.
Then why am I watching this movie, and what am I supposed to be looking forward to in the 3rd movie if nothing matters?

I somehow missed this notification but when I did my new daily checkups I noticed it so sorry for the late reply.

DJ is real life as it can get.. yea okay maybe over cynical but he kept it real.

In his perspective it doesn't matter if you are siding with good or bad because deep down it's all wrong and screwed up so it's better to be neutral and only look out for yourself, he sells to bad or good and perception can change very easily depending on your position.

DJ represent how a good portion of people feel and act. Rose is the optimistic revolutionary type with a touch of hippie love will save us and all that.

Luke is a mess and feel he has let down his own family. We see Luke at his lowest possible moment and lashes out against everything including the Jedi teachings but in the end the dude understood whats important and picked that lightsaber up and saved the day, he chose to use the same lightsaber he tossed at the beginning of the film even to more accentuate his change.

Kylo is saying forget the old so she finds the strength to kill them to obtain that power and freedom in the act of slaying Luke, her friends, etc.. who stands in their way. This is what he used for motivation and power to do the final act and kill his own father but it didn't have the effect he wanted at least not right away, Kylo was 'balanced' and focused when he finally accepted his role and his need to be the main guy and his desire to have Rey by his side. He got it all except the companion and he was so vulnerable when he said that "please" to Rey and she rejected him.

The point isn't that nothing matters this isn't the Avengers 3 finally this is Star Wars it all has meaning and teachings and The Last Jedi is full of them, failure, recovery, learning from mistakes, moving forward, hope, etc.. plenty of messages hell they put it on PETA stuff to for good measures. :D

I want to see this move forward, I want to see what Rey will do, what Kylo.. will someone die ? will she try to turn him right at the end or just kill him because there is no more hope. Rey growing as a character and a Jedi and interacting with them force ghost and what other things she will learn seems every movie is showing us new stuff in that powers front enriching the star wars universe.

So sit there and pout all you want but you will be there to see the movie when the time comes.. most likely. :p

The problem i have with this is, is then what was the point?
DJ says join or don't join, doesn't matter. Luke is saying the Jedi are dead and have hubris, so it doesnt matter. Ren is saying forget the old and everyone else because they don't matter.
Then why am I watching this movie, and what am I supposed to be looking forward to in the 3rd movie if nothing matters?
Don't look now, but you just felt the full effect of one of the major objectives in the movie.

You're supposed to feel this sense of bleakness toward the cause. You're supposed to feel like all hope is lost. Then against all odds... the light returnz to banish the dark in Ep. 9.

The biggest problem people have with this movie imo... is that they forget it's part 2 of 3. Don't anyone waffle this BS about a movie should be contained within itself either, because this movie is. it's just that the bad guys won & that's it. Everything is bleak & that's a wrap. Movie is complete. Same scenario we're left with in Empire. Now, with the triumphant return of the light in Ep 9 all will be made well in the universe & in hindsite you all have gone on an epic adventure that even split the star wars fans just like the Star Wars universe is divided. We are experiencing first hand in the streets of reality what the current state of the Star Wars universe is. Light siders fighting haters... nay sayers fighting enthusiasts... It is an epic battle of social media just like the epic battle that's happening on screen.

Talk about a reality show... man this thing couldn't have gone better.

Last edited:
Episode IX is the one that is going to be really tough to pull off well. Abrams is going to want to do some fan service, but you have to try to make the stakes seem significant, which they will have a hell of a time doing. Is anyone really stoked to see the rag tag rebel underdogs defeat the evil empire all over again?

I've said it before, but it also just narratively will not be satisfying at all if that's the route they go. We thought Luke and co. achieved the destruction of the empire and yet the First Order came right into play, just establishing a re-amped version of the same thing.

So you basically have to convince the audience that not only is this exciting- even though this is just a derivation of the storyline we saw much better in the OT- but that the end it achieves will be something triumphant and not just another bump in the road to the juggernaut oppressive force taking control of the universe all over again.

Rey vs. Ren is a wash. They've established she's stronger than him twice.
Lando is coming back, and we'll discover he is the father of Finn, Rose and BB8. Pando fucked everyone and everything, trying to be a bigger deadbeat dad than his good buddy Han.

DhXYFGrV4AABfBw.jpg:large

Very few people have a problem with that, though. Even among the people I've talked with that dislike the movie pretty much everyone thinks the force projection reveal is awesome.

Personally, I think it's legitimately one of the coolest things to ever happen in Star Wars...then ruined by a completely anti-climactic and arbitrary death.

Don't look now, but you just felt the full effect of one of the major objectives in the movie.

You're supposed to feel this sense of bleakness toward the cause. You're supposed to feel like all hope is lost. Then against all odds... the light returnz to banish the dark in Ep. 9.

The biggest problem people have with this movie imo... is that they forget it's part 2 of 3. Don't anyone waffle this BS about a movie should be contained within itself either, because this movie is. it's just that the bad guys won & that's it. Everything is bleak & that's a wrap. Movie is complete. Same scenario we're left with in Empire. Now, with the triumphant return of the light in Ep 9 all will be made well in the universe & in hindsite you all have gone on an epic adventure that even split the star wars fans just like the Star Wars universe is divided. We are experiencing first hand in the streets of reality what the current state of the Star Wars universe is. Light siders fighting haters... nay sayers fighting enthusiasts... It is an epic battle of social media just like the epic battle that's happening on screen.

Talk about a reality show... man this thing couldn't have gone better.
The only emotion I experienced, in their poor attempts at marvel humour and failed portrayal of strong wimmins, was a sense of bleakness for the franchise.

Very few people have a problem with that, though. Even among the people I've talked with that dislike the movie pretty much everyone thinks the force projection reveal is awesome.

Personally, I think it's legitimately one of the coolest things to ever happen in Star Wars...then ruined by a completely anti-climactic and arbitrary death.

Lets see if he is actually dead though - I suspect JJ will provide some fan service here.

I guess i must go to the front page to see this poster?

Oh and, holy shit guys... Mortal Kombat Annihilation is not better than last jedi. Lets not get nuts.

I see what your saying... & I do agree that some backstory would've been nice, but I think the only reason the Snoke info is so important is because we sat around for 2 years thinking about it.

If someone were to watch the 2 movies back to back for the first time, they'd get it. They'd be curious for the Snoke back story... but it wouldn't become the necessity that it became for us who sat around for 2 years discussing it.

All that canon stuff I told y'all about that wasn't in the movie... you don't need any of it to understand how this upper middle class kid became the leader of the biggest military force in the galaxy. That part was explained to perfection. I don't think even the biggest star wars casual has any problem understanding that. So Snoke's purpose is achieved. His back story is completely inessential to the plot & is only a curiosity at best.

Its a little important because his existence creates a bit of a hole in the canon. The sith are gone but someone else needed to be powerful enough to teach him. I guess? He seems to have been old enough to have been around at the same time as Vader and Sidious. But they didnt know about him? Or did they? And he takes over Sidious' footsteps? Somehow?

It's just question after question. Saying "its not important to the story" is subjective. Other people can and do disagree.

We actually got no backstory on the emperor or any of that in the first trilogy till 2 decadez later when the sequels came out. You don't need it. You know all you need to know when they show up with all this fire power.

I get your point of view though, don't get me wrong.

Thats a very different thing since this is essentially continuing the story that was started in the original trilogy. You can create a narrative out of thin air to begin your story. Theres an evil emperor, a mad king, a horrible troll under a bridge, etc without explaining it. But if you continue the story and something else takes its place after its been defeated then there should be an explanation.

Yea I was going crazy when I saw it :D

I was also triggered by the lightsaber I was so confused but I loved every second of it.

In retrospect is there any way better to have Luke die ? he was at peace, saved a bunch of lives, didn't kill his own family in fact didn't kill no one and he didn't got cut down in battle or something like that he just went out looking at the suns to echo/parallel the young Luke also looking up at the suns.

C'mon man this was the way to go.. yea we can debate if it should have happened in ep 9 not 8 but this is it.

m1mv5qtvr1f01.png

The imagery of his death was perfect. It's timing was horrendous.

Lets see if he is actually dead though - I suspect JJ will provide some fan service here.

Im hoping for it. But maybe an end of the movie reveal, instead of him being in it. Something like Rey goes back to visit the site of his death. Learned where he disappeared, gets all teary eyed, starts to walk away. Then turns her head and says "Wheres his hand". Cut to Lukes bionic hand inputting some commands on a ship, some beeping from a droid and you just see his face saying "The unknown regions". Engage light speed, cut to credits.

Off the top of my head, anyway.

Thats a very different thing since this is essentially continuing the story that was started in the original trilogy. You can create a narrative out of thin air to begin your story. Theres an evil emperor, a mad king, a horrible troll under a bridge, etc without explaining it. But if you continue the story and something else takes its place after its been defeated then there should be an explanation.
I tend to think the opposite is true.

It's because we know so much about the force & the previous lore that we DO NOT need the back story. I mean it's all spelled out all ready. It's just semantics if we give specifics.

Show of hands... does anyone really not get it? We never got Dooku's back story. He's a Jedi turned Sith... boom... mic drop... that's all you need to know. Do we really "need" more on Snoke? He's a very talented force sensitive dude who went dark & got a lot of power. We all understand that. Any one who raises their hand on my previous question will be reported & thrashed. Everyone knows how people get power in this universe. The stories have been told.... we don't need the specifics.

Yes, I "want" to know more... but i don't "need" to know more is the point I'm making. Without any back story out of the movies... I can perfectly understand how there's a big bad dark user who is the man. No problem. Everyone gets it. His back story is just a curiosity at best.

I feel they will explain it in the next movie... but if not then they'll explain it in other canon... so all good.

Its a little important because his existence creates a bit of a hole in the canon. The sith are gone but someone else needed to be powerful enough to teach him. I guess? He seems to have been old enough to have been around at the same time as Vader and Sidious. But they didnt know about him? Or did they? And he takes over Sidious' footsteps? Somehow?

It's just question after question. Saying "its not important to the story" is subjective. Other people can and do disagree.
That "big hole in canon" is just a bit of mystery that is completely irrelevant to the plot.

I'm sure it will be told whether in the movie or elsewhere.

They showed he was powerful enough to teach Kylo in the way he toyed with Rey, Kylo & Hux so easily. That's all you "need" to know is that he has massive power. The specifics are completely irrelevant to whether the plot works or not. We understand how people get powerful. We've seen & heard lots of stories. So "how" Snoke got so powerful himself as an individual is nothing but a curiosity.

I'll give it to you that it's one hell of a major curiousity. I want to know it too... but it is not a "plot hole"... because everyone understandz how people in that universe gain that kind of power.

Sidious sensed him & mentioned in the movie that he sensed a dark presence coming from the unknown regions. If that's not enough to link it to Snoke, there's outside Canon that confirms it.

He didn't take over Sidious' footsteps. This isn't explained in the movie.... but he saw Sidious as a rival & a threat & he actively kept himself hidden from confronting him.

After Ep. 6 when the Empire retreated to the unknown territory, it was a group hired by Snoke that showed them where to go in order to get re-organized. They thought they were doing it for themselves but at some point they were surprised to find that Snoke just stepped up & claimed ownership of the new effort with his power & influence. Nobody could dispute him & so Snoke became the supreme leader.

That's all Canon out side the movie... and it would be nice to see on film, but it is completely un-necessary. it's also completely un-necessary for everyone to pretend like those explanations in other media don't count... due to the fact that they weren't in the movie. Star Wars Canon fills in the blanks.

I just layed it out for you in detail... & I've done that for others as well. Hopefully you can take a higher road & accept that the story is told & that it doesn't necessarily all have to be played out in the movie. Many of the hard core haters refuse to accept it if it wasn't spelled out in the movie. I could understand their point of view if it was critical information to the plot... but "how" Snoke gained power is completely irrelevant. All you have to know is that he was the man. You don't have to know "why." So for the plot to work. It's a curiosity at best.

Back