Spike gets rid of PBC

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Turns out they were dissatisfied with PBC and now want to focus mostly on Bellator MMA.

Now Spike and NBC will drop PBC.

While less networks is better for PBC at this point, it's not a good look for many networks thinking about a new deal with PBC

Last edited:
Spike spent years and years marketing themselves to meat-head 18-24 year olds (and no, I don't just mean TUF; they had plenty of ridiculous shows like 1000 Ways to Die and that laughable video game awards thing). No surprise their existing demographic wasn't big on boxing. Other small things too, like Spike getting kicked off of Comcast's cable packages and made stand-alone likely didn't help. No boxing fan is going to subscribe to that crap channel just to watch PBC sometimes.

Oh well, that was the only thing I ever watched on Spike.

that sucks.

and i'd rather more money going into Bellator KB instead of MMA but that will never happen

Spike spent years and years marketing themselves to meat-head 18-24 year olds (and no, I don't just mean TUF; they had plenty of ridiculous shows like 1000 Ways to Die and that laughable video game awards thing). No surprise their existing demographic wasn't big on boxing. Other small things too, like Spike getting kicked off of Comcast's cable packages and made stand-alone likely didn't help. No boxing fan is going to subscribe to that crap channel just to watch PBC sometimes.

whats not to love
logo.jpg

manswers-main.jpg

dump-of-death.jpg

Isnt that a bad thing?

It gives the 18-24 year old male demographic exposure to boxing.

Isnt that a bad thing?

well it does, but its not for the causal. casuals love drama. thats why diaz Mcgregor makes money, why mayweather makes money , etc.

that group goes to school the next day and says "wow i watched cops and a guy got ran the fuck over " or " this guy got ktfo on the new Bumfights! " and not " Lara's handspeed was a definite advantage in his last match. "

Partial Segway / OT
Didnt boxing have a series like TUF ? Didn't Manfredo come out of that? Did that do well in ratings?

Partial Segway / OT
Didnt boxing have a series like TUF ? Didn't Manfredo come out of that? Did that do well in ratings?
The Contender, it started on NBC on Primetime, but only lasted 1 season there because of bad ratings. They moved to ESPN for like 3 more seasons and it was axed.

The show was shit because the fights were all edited with music.

It started the same time as TUF 1 started and Dana was poking fun at that show

well it does, but its not for the causal. casuals love drama. thats why diaz Mcgregor makes money, why mayweather makes money , etc.

that group goes to school the next day and says "wow i watched cops and a guy got ran the fuck over " or " this guy got ktfo on the new Bumfights! " and not " Lara's handspeed was a definite advantage in his last match. "
Where else can they watch the same Carl's Jr commercial a dozen times?

What network was Thurman vs Garcia on?
Isnt that a bad thing?

It obviously didnt work out well
The Contender, it started on NBC on Primetime, but only lasted 1 season there because of bad ratings. They moved to ESPN for like 3 more seasons and it was axed.

The show was shit because the fights were all edited with music.

It started the same time as TUF 1 started and Dana was poking fun at that show
The editing of the fights was the worst thing I have ever seen. Killed it for me. I liked a lot of the things they did but that absolutely killed it for me and everyone else. In fairness too a lot of the fights were so bad for their adaptive version of a bout and the ring. There was just no good way to pull it off. I remember they would have the full fights on a different channel or something

Last edited:
Spike spokesman David Schwarz disputed the portion of the ESPN.com story that stated Spike executives were unhappy with the quality of fights PBC offered as part of the series. “Spike and the PBC have enjoyed a very successful relationship with great fights, featuring high production values,” Schwarz said in a statement released to boxingscene.com

“The network was very satisfied with the quality of fights that produced strong ratings and many memorable moments. Any inference to the contrary is inaccurate. Now that our 2-year deal is complete, we are having ongoing discussions to potentially air future events that make sense for both parties.”

Schwarz also said the network wants to televise more Bellator MMA cards. Bellator is owned by Viacom, also Spike’s parent company. “We have a great relationship and running dialogue with Al and the PBC,” Schwarz told ESPN.com. “

"Our focus is on Bellator right now, but if the right fight arises we are all ears.” Spike soon will be renamed The Paramount Network as part of a rebranding initiative by Viacom and will focus more on scripted entertainment than in the past.

**** Looks like some misleading information from the espn article!!!

http://www.boxingscene.com/spike-tv...-champions-ended--115552#sthash.yZCrygXp.dpuf

Manswers! Damn, I forgot about that. You know, dumb show, but I won't say a few of those questions never crossed my mind.

Not a big loss imo... I rarely watch Spike anymore. I can't remember what PBC fights they had on there. I think they had Algieri vs. Khan, but I can't remember what others they had.

Back