sparring ycm 2

Based on the story you told us I don't think you did anything wrong. Hell, even his coach wasn't taking his side.

Also does he really have 7-8 yrs of experience and about to go pro? He doesn't look very impressive in the video and he stands up a little too straight. You definitely outboxed him and you said you only got 14 months? Impressive bro keep it up.

Based on the story you told us I don't think you did anything wrong. Hell, even his coach wasn't taking his side.

Also does he really have 7-8 yrs of experience and about to go pro? He doesn't look very impressive in the video and he stands up a little too straight. You definitely outboxed him and you said you only got 14 months? Impressive bro keep it up.

Yep he has a lot of experience, matter of fact I actually have a video of me sparring him back in 2013 when I first started. He appears to have not improved at all since then though, some guys just hit a plateau.

It was strange, it was almost like he was bout to let me knock him out, like he was giving up being defensively responsible. Heres my simplified outlook on the shit : Body shot hurt him, he got frustrated turned it up, counter shots & body punches frustrated him and took his heart, and that 20 punch flurry he threw was a last hurrah and when it didn't do much he wanted out.

You got some serious skills. No doubt about that.

Certainly didn't mean to rain on your parade, you asked me and I gave my honest opinion.

The guy whos saying he's going to knock you out is a different story as there is nothing ambiguous about that session. Good luck and I look forward to watching your stuff in the future, you have talent.

Last edited:
I think a lot of you just don't understand the environment of competitive boxing Gyms. Not necessarily due to willful ignorance, but just because it's a nuance that can be difficult to grasp. There are lots of guys like this guy YCM is sparring here. Guys whose whole Gym culture might revolve around them, or at they very least they think they're better than they actually are and their trainer doesn't check their ego regularly, and if they do it's usually mixed with ego stroking which sends the fighter mixed messages.

What you tend to end up with, is mediocre fighters who are convinced they're excellent. Somewhere deep down they know they're not that great, but they're gonna act like they are even if costs them an ass-whoopin'. In the first round YCM lands a good shot or something that seems to offend this guy and he makes a gesture, a "come on man" to which he was given concede and a glove tap. IMMEDIATELY he goes ham and tries to assert himself as the boss. What happens from there is YCM responds and lets him know he isn't. But he did not go overboard. He gave the guy the appropriate amount of punishment he needed to be given the chance to check his own ego, which if he quit, he didn't. That's WHY some guys quit, when they bite off more than they can chew or shit doesn't go their way, or both.

Sad part is without the proper guidance, this guy won't learn anything from the experience. And I'd wager he's not getting it, since he's already gone many years and has not improved. Which is also fairly common. Fighters stop being able to improve the moment they think they know everything.

I think a lot of you just don't understand the environment of competitive boxing Gyms. Not necessarily due to willful ignorance, but just because it's a nuance that can be difficult to grasp. There are lots of guys like this guy YCM is sparring here. Guys whose whole Gym culture might revolve around them, or at they very least they think they're better than they actually are and their trainer doesn't check their ego regularly, and if they do it's usually mixed with ego stroking which sends the fighter mixed messages.

What you tend to end up with, is mediocre fighters who are convinced they're excellent. Somewhere deep down they know they're not that great, but they're gonna act like they are even if costs them an ass-whoopin'. In the first round YCM lands a good shot or something that seems to offend this guy and he makes a gesture, a "come on man" to which he was given concede and a glove tap. IMMEDIATELY he goes ham and tries to assert himself as the boss. What happens from there is YCM responds and lets him know he isn't. But he did not go overboard. He gave the guy the appropriate amount of punishment he needed to be given the chance to check his own ego, which if he quit, he didn't. That's WHY some guys quit, when they bite off more than they can chew or shit doesn't go their way, or both.

Sad part is without the proper guidance, this guy won't learn anything from the experience. And I'd wager he's not getting it, since he's already gone many years and has not improved. Which is also fairly common. Fighters stop being able to improve the moment they think they know everything.

Pretty much exactly how it went. A lot of fighters would have done that guy much dirtier in the same circumstance. Surprised that a lotta ppl don't seem to see that the guy is literally trying to kill me out there and doing wayyyy too much for me not to answer back, with 6 hooks to the body in a row and stuff like that. He would have been 100% satisfied if his flurry stopped/hurt/ko'd me, and clearly his intention was to hurt me. Tried to let him know he can't just do that and expect nothing in return, and he seemed to learn nothing from it and quit.

"you're hitting too hard fuck man" *proceeds to bull rush and throw a million punches at person who's supposedly hitting too hard and not back up a step* Makes sense? Nah not to me either.

Only got barely 2 rounds in cuz the guy quit smh, I really was trying to not hurt him.

Was trying to be more technical today and work the jab instead of just seek and destroy, hoping to get some rounds in, oh well

Critic me if u see any serious mistakes its greatly appreciated!!

what gym do you train at?

you look really good for the amount of experience you stated you have.

what gym do you train at?

you look really good for the amount of experience you stated you have.

I started at Johnny Toccos in Las Vegas with Floyd Sr., then moved to the Mayweather boxing club for about a year. Since then I've been riddled with injuries apart from 3-4 week spans where I came back, found out the reason why was because of a brain tumor, and dealt with that the last year and a half.

Yes I had my surgery in January and literally got cleared last week after a torturous recovery.

I turned it up because the coach there told me to throw combinations, his coach! His coach wasn't even upset at all about it either and apologized to me about him quitting, people know it is hard sparring. also with my technique my combinations simply don't come off slow, so when I want to work in a 5 punch combination, its going to look like that every time I can't lighten up the speed/mechanics of it, I threw one because thats what the coach asked for and he turned it up on me back.

The moment he tried to throw a 20 punch combination at me on the ropes, he is lucky I didn't try to starch him. And really, I didn't try to, no matter how much it looks like I may have. He was also saying "come on" and "thats alright" a few times during the round. This isn't my gym I'm going to, and I don't have a coach there - But I am looking for the best work around my size and experience, it would be great to me if the people in the gym would want to come in and whoop me, it is why I went, just match up experience and weight to a certain degree 125-155 depending on experience and try to whoop me, I've taken ass whooping from quite a few bigger experienced guys and it aint nothing - comes with the territory. Watch my Floyd Sr. padwork video and you'll see my eye is bruised and my lip is bruised, that is because an 11x national champion decided to beef with me my 2nd day in the gym & when I didn't want to spar I was thrown in there because I didn't want to look like a bitch, while I was being called a bitch, and got my ass whooped. I fought back my hardest though, and survived the 4 rounds they wanted me to do even tho I was gassed as a mf, but it comes with the territory. What I did to that guy is far far far from over the top I think.

I have 3 amateur fights maybe 60 sparring sessions in my life and only 14 months of active training total, these are open amateurs/pros I am boxing. @Sinister knows how I started and sparring etiquette I was taught upon, I threw a combo, he answered back with aggression, so I threw another combo, and he acted back with extreme aggression. You can see I literally touch him with a lead hook and look at him like, dude, what are u doing.

I am never and never will be the type to say "lets work light" and then go hard, I just wouldn't. The coach literally said lets see someone go down on a body shot today. It was clear what the sparring intensity was going to be - and once again, on my life, I was going far below my usual intensity for that specific day because I wanted to get my technical skills back with my jab/feints and get a lot of rounds in, because I have been off for so long.

I was trained by Floyd Sr, and my coach would have had me knock him out mercilessly. No one would try to whoop me in the gym either - just the way I came up in the gym. Luckily, he was not there yelling in my ear to stop him/ko him.

Guy has more experience than me and about 25 lbs. Is he trying to take it light on me? Nope trying to ko me.

10 lbs heavier than me with much more experience as well, same thing.

That was when I had been boxing a couple months, had one fight, and sparred a 145 lb guy who has like 140 fights with like a 120-20 record or something crazy like that and regularly knocked people out in the gym, I didn't quit cry or complain. this is a tough game and it comes with the territory.

I should move my head more no doubt! Also the right hand I kept missing over the top, I was trying to feint the jab to the body and come up over top with it. I obviously ended up just going the route of throwing the jabs to the body to set up the right hand up top in round 2.

One last thought on the sparring thing - if you can't hang with me in sparring, do not get in there with me. Simple, solves this problem. The coach knows me knows my skillset & experience and still put him in there with me for hard sparring, hell he asked for it.

Actually, theres this 140lber there that I guess was talking tough about me last week after sparring ( I didn't box him he just watched ) and supposedly he wants to box me very bad next Tuesday, said he can drop me ect ect. I am and will stop him or knock him out if he goes in there with that mentality as well. He literally is asking for it - and believes he can do it, respect to that but you gotta be able to take that mentality back.

Thank you guys! Clearly there is a difference in how we came up in gyms & different sparring etiquette, ect. Even though I only have maybe 60 sparring sessions total, about 35-40 of them were in the "doghouse" where it was kill or be killed for peoples entertainment. Made me progress the way I did though.

Interesting, the more I see sparring footage, and fights, the more I see that the less experienced guy has obvious tells with his body language.

^We call that greenness. Guys is "green"....green guys have no control of their emotions and responses to mental/emotional stress. You'd be able to similarly spot a very inexperienced poker player at a poker table:

I started at Johnny Toccos in Las Vegas with Floyd Sr., then moved to the Mayweather boxing club for about a year. Since then I've been riddled with injuries apart from 3-4 week spans where I came back, found out the reason why was because of a brain tumor, and dealt with that the last year and a half.

floyd sr coaches at toccos?

I just got back from a trip to vegas, was trying to him the mayweather gym but it didnt work out. I ended up going to RJJ gym. Got some good mittwork in but no sparing.

Interesting, the more I see sparring footage, and fights, the more I see that the less experienced guy has obvious tells with his body language.
I'm confused, are you saying I telegraph my punches? Or that I have tells that I am inexperienced?

floyd sr coaches at toccos?

I just got back from a trip to vegas, was trying to him the mayweather gym but it didnt work out. I ended up going to RJJ gym. Got some good mittwork in but no sparing.

Floyd is at MBC.

Plenty of sparring could have been had at Tocco's

Floyd is at MBC.

Plenty of sparring could have been had at Tocco's

next time perhaps, I will like to visit more gyms and vegas again. My boxing skill is not on the same level as my MT skill for sure though.

Well that's no good. could you clarify for me on specifics u see so I can work on them?

Seems like when you get the sense the guy is better than you, you lose confidence. You make some iffy calls when punching from the outside. In a couple clips you are either too far out when you throw so you miss or you overextend to compensate.

Dunno what you can do about that. Train more lol.

^Step in with the punch instead of reaching.

Also does he really have 7-8 yrs of experience and about to go pro? He doesn't look very impressive in the video and he stands up a little too straight..
I noticed this especially from 3:01 to 3:06 in the video. He stands straight up and lets you hit him 6 time in the head, all of which uncontested (he doesn't even attempt to move with his feet/head and doesn't even attempt to block).

Shocked that someone whose supposedly been training 7 years would allow that to happen.

You seem to equate training for 7-8 years with training well for 7-8 years.

Back