sparring ycm 2

I noticed this especially from 3:01 to 3:06 in the video. He stands straight up and lets you hit him 6 time in the head, all of which uncontested (he doesn't even attempt to move with his feet/head and doesn't even attempt to block).

Shocked that someone whose supposedly been training 7 years would allow that to happen.

It was bizarre for sure, maybe he was trying to be a tough guy? Or something.. Idk... seemed ike he was doing self destructive things in the sparring at the start of the 2nd. But yeah boy has def been training 7-8 years, and as I said before I sparred him in 2013, and to me it doesn't seem like he has gotten better at all. Clearly something wrong going on with his training, probably what Sinister said, thinks he is a bad boy and won't listen. I'm sure they are guys he can get the better of and when it happens he thinks he's the king of the jungle in there type shit, so there is no learning.

Seems like when you get the sense the guy is better than you, you lose confidence. You make some iffy calls when punching from the outside. In a couple clips you are either too far out when you throw so you miss or you overextend to compensate.

Dunno what you can do about that. Train more lol.

Hmmmm... This is an interesting and confusing one for me. I'm assuming you are talking about the previous sparring I posted. I do a lot of unorthodox stupid shit that works sometimes on the outside like jumping in with right hands, do it more to be annoying than anything else lol. But I'm going to be honest, its rare that I get the sense that someone is better than me from the people I have boxed with, so I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it. I do overextend and I should step in more agreed.

Of course I still have my own confidence, don't get it twisted, while I only have 3 fights and very limited active training time, if you are not a top level amateur, most likely I will get the better of and can fuck them up if I chose to. I am very very rusty and have yet to be given the opportunity to get sharp, because in the last 4 years I've never once trained for more than a 6 week span before being put off for another year or so.

If god is willing and I am healthy and can continue to box and train seriously, I fully expect to be a killer in the amateurs at 132lbs, maybe even 123 because I walk around 132-135.

But possibly what you are seeing is just the truth that I can't fix at this moment, inexperience because I am indeed inexperienced compared to most as of right now. Does not mean they are better than me though.

I turned it up because the coach there told me to throw combinations, his coach! His coach wasn't even upset at all about it either and apologized to me about him quitting, people know it is hard sparring. also with my technique my combinations simply don't come off slow, so when I want to work in a 5 punch combination, its going to look like that every time I can't lighten up the speed/mechanics of it, I threw one because thats what the coach asked for and he turned it up on me back.

The moment he tried to throw a 20 punch combination at me on the ropes, he is lucky I didn't try to starch him. And really, I didn't try to, no matter how much it looks like I may have. He was also saying "come on" and "thats alright" a few times during the round. This isn't my gym I'm going to, and I don't have a coach there - But I am looking for the best work around my size and experience, it would be great to me if the people in the gym would want to come in and whoop me, it is why I went, just match up experience and weight to a certain degree 125-155 depending on experience and try to whoop me, I've taken ass whooping from quite a few bigger experienced guys and it aint nothing - comes with the territory. Watch my Floyd Sr. padwork video and you'll see my eye is bruised and my lip is bruised, that is because an 11x national champion decided to beef with me my 2nd day in the gym & when I didn't want to spar I was thrown in there because I didn't want to look like a bitch, while I was being called a bitch, and got my ass whooped. I fought back my hardest though, and survived the 4 rounds they wanted me to do even tho I was gassed as a mf, but it comes with the territory. What I did to that guy is far far far from over the top I think.

I have 3 amateur fights maybe 60 sparring sessions in my life and only 14 months of active training total, these are open amateurs/pros I am boxing. @Sinister knows how I started and sparring etiquette I was taught upon, I threw a combo, he answered back with aggression, so I threw another combo, and he acted back with extreme aggression. You can see I literally touch him with a lead hook and look at him like, dude, what are u doing.

I am never and never will be the type to say "lets work light" and then go hard, I just wouldn't. The coach literally said lets see someone go down on a body shot today. It was clear what the sparring intensity was going to be - and once again, on my life, I was going far below my usual intensity for that specific day because I wanted to get my technical skills back with my jab/feints and get a lot of rounds in, because I have been off for so long.

I was trained by Floyd Sr, and my coach would have had me knock him out mercilessly. No one would try to whoop me in the gym either - just the way I came up in the gym. Luckily, he was not there yelling in my ear to stop him/ko him.

Maybe that's boxing culture - but that kind of culture seems very toxic to me. Great for a professional fighter who wants to get to the top - not so great for your health, life outside the ring or even your character or your ego (would probably feed into it - I suppose you need it to be competitive). That kind of culture though bleeds out into your daily life and becomes habitual.

Personally I can relate too being called 'too nice.' I've had many people say that to me also but that's because you respect the people your training with and the objective is to learn/improve - not to beat the shit out of them. I wouldn't be as nice if it was someone going hard and not changing intensity after asking them to calm it down. I can only think of one time in my entire training span where I've legit beat the shit out of someone and that was only because they were going way to hard on everyone & hurting them - instructor said nothing so I took it into my own hands (and even then I held back because I could have knocked him out). Then again I'm not pursuing a career in fighting so maybe I have that luxury of not having to have a dog eat dog mindset. I'm glad I don't either because I'm sure as shit that mentality can make its way outside of the training environment and how you deal with people.

You're very good for 14 months of active training. I suppose that kind of culture/training environment breeds quick efficient results - with 14 months of training you're proof of that.

It's funny though I don't think that's the optimum way to train/spar for any training style apart from boxing.

You seem to equate training for 7-8 years with training well for 7-8 years.

great point, a friend of mine that I have been training much longer then has been living in colorado for the past few years training and fighting for duane ludwig. He has progressed in that 2 years what probably took me 5.

He is just looking for things just to have something to point out.

IMO

And your opinion is wrong. If you kept reading, you'd see that I supported my observation as best I could and was later agreed with. Just because you couldn't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

I was a big fan of seeing your previous threads on training and preparing for a fight of your own, especially at such an advanced age. I wish you the best of luck. Beyond luck though, perhaps you should keep an open mind and a sharp eye while you pursue your goal and get ready for your future bout. That would benefit you more than not seeing things that other people see.

IMO

I'm more used to light sparring. I can see most pure boxing gyms like this. Why do boxing gyms and AKA spar 100%? I can understand the 140lb idiot. I would KO him too and I hope you do. Please record it for us.

But other normal sparring, I don't see the reason or point to punch at 100%. Sure go 100% speed but I normally pull back at point of contact or before so I don't hurt them too much. Only time I go hard is when I know they will block it. I'm there to train, not to KO each other. I like the Thai's style of sparring.

They are having so much fun. All technique and speed but no power. Saenchai landed a headkick flush but did no damage. All about control. I remember my coach saying, "Don't throw it if you can't control it". If you want to throw power, you do that on the pads or bags.

But again, you have my blessing to go out there next Tuesday and KO that 140lb big mouth. Please record for us.

Knocked his ass out. I don't know if I wanna upload the video though, the session wasn't very long so there is not much to critique..

He is just one of ur typical tough guy "I'm a fighter!!" type people. He kept saying to me before the session "you ready for this work?? we gonna work!!" I told him that's the plan, and sure enough I put him out on his feet on the ropes and the coach stopped it. 145 lber so he had 10 lbs on me.He was complaining after the coach pulled him out that it was a little wobble and that it happens and he wanted to get good work and keep going, and was begging to box me again next Tuesday. Props to his heart, probably shouldn't be sparring for a bit though after a concussion, but next time I wouldn't throw good shots at him, its just his personality lol doesn't deserve to be beat up cause of that.

Knocked his ass out. I don't know if I wanna upload the video though, the session wasn't very long so there is not much to critique..

He is just one of ur typical tough guy "I'm a fighter!!" type people. He kept saying to me before the session "you ready for this work?? we gonna work!!" I told him that's the plan, and sure enough I put him out on his feet on the ropes and the coach stopped it. 145 lber so he had 10 lbs on me.He was complaining after the coach pulled him out that it was a little wobble and that it happens and he wanted to get good work and keep going, and was begging to box me again next Tuesday. Props to his heart, probably shouldn't be sparring for a bit though after a concussion, but next time I wouldn't throw good shots at him, its just his personality lol doesn't deserve to be beat up cause of that.
lmao funny that i just saw Zelenoff on YT again 5 mins before this post and his quotes remind me of Zelenoff. After you humble him, you should probably teach him some manners. Is he a young kid?

lmao funny that i just saw Zelenoff on YT again 5 mins before this post and his quotes remind me of Zelenoff. After you humble him, you should probably teach him some manners. Is he a young kid?

he's one of those guys you can't teach manners like that to, that probably abuses his boxing in bars type shit. He is like 25 years old. I didn't humble

him lmao, thats when I became aware its just his personality. Put him on Queer Street within a minute and he still over here talking bout getting it going.

Oh well, theres ppl like that out there lol

He was like " I'm a fighter a little leg wobble is nothing to stop the session over I was ready to keep going" but the ropes were the only thing keeping him up.

The guy you sparred with has an awful attitude, it's all on him. He pushed with intensity, acted all weird, got lit up with appropriately powerful shots, things weren't going his way so he started letting OP hit him at one point because he was feeling sour and shitty, then he got angry, then he got lit up, then he quit. Terrible guy to train with. Not sure what others were complaining about.

Back