So neck/upper back strengthening

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So some of you guys know I dropped off here when I got in a car wreck. As of this week new scans my neck is officiall in working order. However it is weak as shit. I'm not going to be wearing a kevlar again for hours at a time to get some strength built up.

So.... where do I start? Preferably like 5 stages If you can do these 5 things time to move on to these 5 things or some such similar progressive program. I got bobbed by a car (impact was nothing, but the up/drown of my truck rear tire going over the hood of her car and dropping back to the ground was something) and my neck didn't work for 2 days due to cramping. I"m only 29 so I should be able to get better as there are no appearances of permenant neck damage. Just need a general path to follow, point me to it?

My goal is to be stable enough a slip and fall or minor fender doesn't put me in the ER again. Just so I'm not always having to be extremely cautious with my neck, not football impact strong.

Neck harness.

Put on weight.

Deadlifts.

Rows.

Pull ups.

Neck harness.

Put on weight.

Deadlifts.

Rows.

Pull ups.
get neck harness check. Put on weight? Not too practical with lower back damage (l3-l5 blown) I'm 6'5 245 already. Putting on 30 got me walking doubt I get over 260 though.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong but I don't think any of those will help rotationally all that much (is there a way to use a neck harnass for rotation... ?)

Maybe I'm thinking wrong but I don't think any of those will help rotationally all that much (is there a way to use a neck harnass for rotation... ?)

Yeah, it's not like I dealt with 3 burst fractured cervical vertebrae and 3 burst fractured thoracic vertebrae.

If you don't know what a burst fractured is, look it up on Wikipedia.

You didn't even try to look things up before you jade this thread?

"Preferably like 5 stages..."

How about preferably you don't come here looking to be spoon fed everything and actually put some effort into this yourself.

Power cleans, shrugs, deads, neck harness, Hise shrugs, Clean/snatch high pulls, band pull aparts, and face pulls will take care of that.

I would start with face pulls and band pull aparts and then work your way up to the free weights/barbells.

You didn't even try to look things up before you jade this thread?

"Preferably like 5 stages..."

How about preferably you don't come here looking to be spoon fed everything and actually put some effort into this yourself.
I did but the football programs that come up take equipment I don't have access to and other people.

I was just hoping something like somners handstand program existed for the neck. Most on Google is crap, sherdogs pretty good at wading through shit and posting good stuff.

There is no progression for neck work because "neck work" isn't a movement to work up to. Do what people already told you, maybe include some high-rep work without added resistance and neck bridges, start light and don't rush anything. Your neck loves volume.

I did but the football programs that come up take equipment I don't have access to and other people.

I was just hoping something like somners handstand program existed for the neck. Most on Google is crap, sherdogs pretty good at wading through shit and posting good stuff.
Lol okay, man.

Convict Conditioning 2 has a ten-progression neck plan starting with leaning against a wall and doing easy-bridges in all directions and then building up to some really strong movements.

The first Convict Conditioning has non-neck bridge progressions you may want to look into for spinal work.

boxing coach and KB instructor Steve Bacardi specialized in neck training. he might have something.

Pavel Tsatsouline's Relax Into Stretch has several exercises you can use to build strength and mobility in your neck. It's not a complete neck building program, but it has rotational exercises.

My neck is strong from clinching and punching. But neck curls, shrugs, pull-ups and deadlift also seem to make it even stronger.

Sounds silly but I attribute the strength of my neck to being in a metal band and headbanging once or twice a week for several years.

Also, all of the above.

Sounds silly but I attribute the strength of my neck to being in a metal band and headbanging once or twice a week for several years.

Also, all of the above.

The guy from Slipknot/Stone Sour has a gigantic neck. I'm sure this can be a factor.

1. Get the Spud neck harness.
2. get resistance bands of varying strengths
3. get door anchor for bands

The rest should be obvious. Hit it from different angles/heights, working back front and side of neck. Start light, go for sets of 20 with slow controlled eccentrics. Once your neck feels healthier, you can add real iron weight to the harness. I had a bulged disc in my neck which crippled my entire right arm, and I completley defeated that injury doing this.

I do the basic two directions neck excercises with hand resistance and if you do them light ther shouldn´t be a problem....maybe.

I've played around with a lot of neck building stuff for a while now and nothing has put on my muscle and irritated my neck less than pressing a barbell overhead. Got degenerate cervical discs from wrestling/BJJ.

Good advice. Whatever you do.. Stretch your neck if you're doing to work it out. You'll get headaches from hell if you don't!

There is no progression for neck work because "neck work" isn't a movement to work up to. Do what people already told you, maybe include some high-rep work without added resistance and neck bridges, start light and don't rush anything. Your neck loves volume.

I agree with the first part there, but dear god, don't ever do neck bridges if you already have neck issues, there's a good likelihood you could end up paralyzed or worse.

Back