so I'm quitting smoking and starting bjj

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I've been smoking for about 5 years. I'm 29 and want to get rid of any unhealthy habits in my life so I can be in good shape when I get older. This will be my first time really training grappling so wish me luck guys. I figured I spend about 150 bucks every 2 weeks on smokes and that is basically what they charge monthly for bjj. I figure I will kick a bad habit and get in shape at the same time. Any advice on either front would be appreciated. I'm going to go cold turkey the first day this monday then put on the patch after that. Wish me luck! Also my dad and I are quitting together, he's been smoking less time than me. so its an added incentive for me to be disciplined about it.

9321bcddd7682856fed0f0045262f9a4e472cbbe_hq.gif

Awesome!

You & your dad just bought healthier bodies, for free.

Have fun at BJJ! Inhale through your nose, & tap often. You'll do fine.

150 a month for bjj? Where?

150 a month for bjj? Where?
south jersey. I think its an mma based bjj place so aside from gi they offer mma classes. The last place i was at in new england charged 150 a month for muay thai/bjj classes but that was like 6 years ago.

south jersey. I think its an mma based bjj place so aside from gi they offer mma classes. The last place i was at in new england charged 150 a month for muay thai/bjj classes but that was like 6 years ago.
Uhhhh that's weird.

I've been smoking for about 5 years. I'm 29 and want to get rid of any unhealthy habits in my life so I can be in good shape when I get older. This will be my first time really training grappling so wish me luck guys. I figured I spend about 150 bucks every 2 weeks on smokes and that is basically what they charge monthly for bjj. I figure I will kick a bad habit and get in shape at the same time. Any advice on either front would be appreciated. I'm going to go cold turkey the first day this monday then put on the patch after that. Wish me luck! Also my dad and I are quitting together, he's been smoking less time than me. so its an added incentive for me to be disciplined about it.

Best decision you ever did. Now keep it up.

1) prepare for the reality of your fitness to smack you in the head like a 2 by 4. You're going to gas, and gas hard. You may throw up. Understand it's going to get better and better and don't quit
2) don't be a tough guy. Tap out. Often.

DO IT

I'm in the process of quitting myself. It's been about 2 weeks and I haven't gone the whole time without smoking at all, but I'm currently on day 3 completely smoke free.

As for BJJ, you're going to fall in love. And if/when you get serious about it, it'll not only motivate you to quit smoking, but to improve your overall health in every area. You'll start to notice how much better you feel in training when you're eating right, getting the right amount of sleep, hydrating, etc. and it will all snowball into an avalanche of positivity.

Good luck man! The first few days are the hardest. It's great you have a quitting partner in your father. Help each other stay motivated and keep yourself occupied. I can't really think of a better distraction than BJJ or kickboxing.

Good on you! Whenever you feel cravings dont think about how good having a cig would be but instead think how it ruins your body and really demonize it.

I've also heard that sucking on carrots can help because having something to suck on is part of the habit (might be BS, I dunno).

Cigarettes have killed everyone in my family that smoked them, they're gross. Glad you decided to kick the habit

DO IT

I'm in the process of quitting myself. It's been about 2 weeks and I haven't gone the whole time without smoking at all, but I'm currently on day 3 completely smoke free.

As for BJJ, you're going to fall in love. And if/when you get serious about it, it'll not only motivate you to quit smoking, but to improve your overall health in every area. You'll start to notice how much better you feel in training when you're eating right, getting the right amount of sleep, hydrating, etc. and it will all snowball into an avalanche of positivity.

Good luck man! The first few days are the hardest. It's great you have a quitting partner in your father. Help each other stay motivated and keep yourself occupied. I can't really think of a better distraction than BJJ or kickboxing.
thats great, bro. I just wasnt motivated but now that I see people who are 10 and 20 years in telling me to quit, I just had to make up my mind and do it. Its just not worth it. Good luck! I'll def tap often and take it easy as I am just getting started. I used to other martial arts so I don't have much of an ego about it.

Good on you! Whenever you feel cravings dont think about how good having a cig would be but instead think how it ruins your body and really demonize it.

I've also heard that sucking on carrots can help because having something to suck on is part of the habit (might be BS, I dunno).

Good advice.

I chew gum or sometimes even just stick a toothpick in my mouth. For people who enjoy smoking there's definitely an oral fixation component to it.

Part of my motivation to quit actually came from acknowledging the fact that anyone I roll with must be disgusted by the way I smell (cigs not BO lol).

I actually quit for 10 years and went back to it during a very stressful period a few years ago. I can't wait to be able to call myself a non-smoker again. Quitting the first time is one of the things I'm actually most proud of in my life, as strange as that might sound to someone who's never smoked.

So I'm lucky in that I already know what it's like to be a non-smoker, and already know how good it feels to finally kick the habit.

Let's use this thread to keep each other motivated as well sherbro! I believe in you!!

Part of my motivation to quit actually came from acknowledging the fact that anyone I roll with must be disgusted by the way I smell (cigs not BO lol).

I actually quit for 10 years and went back to it during a very stressful period a few years ago. I can't wait to be able to call myself a non-smoker again. Quitting the first time is one of the things I'm actually most proud of in my life, as strange as that might sound to someone who's never smoked.

So I'm lucky in that I already know what it's like to be a non-smoker, and already know how good it feels to finally kick the habit.

Let's use this thread to keep each other motivated as well sherbro! I believe in you!!
I believe in you too bro! I actually quit for a year myself, but went back to it. I think I can do it again. The hold on me doesnt feel too strong. Its just a dumb habit to me. How long have you smoked?

yeah I buy american spirits. They are like 9 and change for a pack.

Damn, that's pricey.

I smoke Marlboro golds, but only buy 1-2 packs a week.

Still, I should quit.

Good on you for going for it.

Damn, that's pricey.

I smoke Marlboro golds, but only buy 1-2 packs a week.

Still, I should quit.

Good on you for going for it.
thanks bro. Unfortunately I've been a pack a day guy for a while, so it really is necessary to quit :(.

Be sure to dust off your shoes before walking on the mat (it’s frowned upon to walk on the mat if your shoes are tracking dirt).

The best defense to most subs is to grab fingers.

If you lose all of your rolls, people won’t like you, so fight hard.

And remember to have fun!

Back