so I'm quitting smoking and starting bjj

Quit after 6 years of smoking both weed and cigarettes. Joining boxing was what helped me to stop, so BJJ can definitely be your key to quitting.

The trick is to do something especially grueling like hard running, sparring, or rolling. Eventually your body and brain will begin to rewire itself to want the endorphin rush from hard exercise rather than nicotine. As your lungs begin to heal themselves, they'll just start to reject the tar and smoke associated with lighting up.

I remember some days after sparring I'd feel like smoking a cigarette but couldn't physically bring myself to inhale. And with all the fucking disgusting shit I was inhaling (all the tar, bongs, blunts, joints, cigarettes one after the other, resin) I thought the damage I had done to my lungs was irreversible but it wasn't. So with that said good luck. I know it's cliche and everyone says it, but it really is one of the best things you'll ever do for yourself.

Wait, you started smoking cigarettes 5 years ago at age 24? And your dad started even more recently? Did you guys not get any of the memos on cigarettes? Or did you go halvsies on a Fiero and figured it came with the territory?

Great decision. I smoked for 20 plus years and quit using the patch. It was not easy but it's well worth the struggle. You got this man. Keep with it and accept a little weight gain as the price you pay to rid yourself of that disgusting, harmful habit.

I need to quit my job and start selling cigs state to state. $9-18 bucks a pack?! I could make a killing.

Anyway, quit drinking if you’re quitting smoking. Drinking will totally trigger your want for a cigarette.

Don't forget to factor the cost of bony acai and apparel, and the cost of 6 or 7 shoyoroll gis. You need to have 1 for every class a week, plus a couple of backups, incase you sweat in one and need to incinerate it.

Good choice though. I was in bad shape when I started, and it kills you to begin with. But stick with it, your body adapts fast.

Back