single legs failing in mma today

i think it depends really against the
The thing about wrestling is the scoring system and time limit. I never see this mentioned but the amount of energy expended in going for takedowns will always be significantly less than in a pure wrestling match.
fence its alot more tiring than out in the open theres a reason youll see top level wrestlers whos done the sport there whole lives completely gas at times the stress factor plays a huge part as well knowing if you fail this takedown a guys gonna be chasing you with punches in wrestling if u fail you can just scramble and work

You might see a single or two next weekend.

Pretty sure whoever made that video has no idea what a gable grip is. On the single legs it doesn't look like Khabib is gripping his hands together at all. On the body lock it looks like he has an extension grip.

lmao at bar cigar lmao at bar cigar i always just say double since its basically a double with head on inside so i wont butcher the name

the problem is in a sport like mma when guys can hit you on the ground and if u fall down no ref allows you to get back up any tiny little space u give a guy he can sneak a sharp elbow in like rashad who lost recently gave the guy a little space against the fence and he caught a nasty shot.
i dont like dropping to knees unless the guys a few inches shorter than me to get to a double its just so risky going for a takedown is the most risky thing in the whole sport by far
I disagree. I don't have any hard statistics but I would imagine The amount of takedowns landed in MMA far outweighs the amount of TKOs/KOs while the opponent was going for the TD.

Part of being able to string together multiple takedown attempts is even if one TD after another fails, the repeated and chained attempts will keep your opponent off balance and fighting to maintain his posture/balance. Kind of hard to land clean shots with that going on.

I've personally landed 30+ takedowns in MMA fights and have only been KO'd once, and that was in a boxing exchange, not during a TD attempt.

i
I disagree. I don't have any hard statistics but I would imagine The amount of takedowns landed in MMA far outweighs the amount of TKOs/KOs while the opponent was going for the TD.

Part of being able to string together multiple takedown attempts is even if one TD after another fails, the repeated and chained attempts will keep your opponent off balance and fighting to maintain his posture/balance. Kind of hard to land clean shots with that going on.

I've personally landed 30+ takedowns in MMA fights and have only been KO'd once, and that was in a boxing exchange, not during a TD attempt.
have too but im talking about at the high levels not early pro or even mid level in some areas prob with it is if the guys good he knows what your going for cause again 90% of people right away go for run the pipe so they are ready to stop that right away and they generally know guys gonna chain to a double after or try to get to the guys hips

i

have too but im talking about at the high levels not early pro or even mid level in some areas prob with it is if the guys good he knows what your going for cause again 90% of people right away go for run the pipe so they are ready to stop that right away and they generally know guys gonna chain to a double after or try to get to the guys hips

Volume 1 of this has chain moves for a single leg:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/...mbo-leglocks-heelhook-flying-scissor-download
if you find it send it my way too.

Volume 1 of this has chain moves for a single leg:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/...mbo-leglocks-heelhook-flying-scissor-download
if you find it send it my way too.

reilly isnt very good at takedowns without thegi hes admitted that there is much much better info out about single leg chains but tbh a bunch of them become quite dangerous due to having to drop really low since a person can hit you thats why run the pile to double or going to body lock is the most preferred methods cause its so much safer than trying to go for a heel pick from the single ect

i dont believe in low singles ect in mma at good levels its just way to dangerpus unless you are in super desperate need like maia vs tyron woodley to get it down. but if u want i can get you that dvd pm me if interested

I like head outside singles when I want to take the initiative. I can turn them into doubles and high crotches and not worry about getting sprawled on as much.

i dont believe in low singles ect in mma at good levels its just way to dangerpus unless you are in super desperate need like maia vs tyron woodley to get it down. but if u want i can get you that dvd pm me if interested
I guess not everyone can be Sakuraba. He had interesting set ups for his low singles.

sak was goo
I guess not everyone can be Sakuraba. He had interesting set ups for his low singles.
d but man i hate to sound like im putting older guys down but he was dominating in the early 2000s when guys wernt near as good technical i doubt he could have taken down the matt hughes gsps and sean sherks who were big at that time

khabib prob has the best singles right now that i can think of cause hes just so damn strong and been doing it his whole life he can make certain things work for him that you cant teach someone

I like head outside singles when I want to take the initiative. I can turn them into doubles and high crotches and not worry about getting sprawled on as much.
reason i like the head outside single also is it kills them whizzering yo there isnt as many defenses besides cross facing trying to guillotine but u cant sit there alot of guys fuck it bent with no posture at all

in mma most guys are taught to whizzer the single leg and bring the shin to there hip and extend there leg to kill the single thats what most mma guys do that i see theres lots of attacks to stopping that but head outside single doesnt ever get that extension happen at all reason i like singles is its the fastest way to get your hands on a guy but i like to use it to build into a better position into getting there hips

Khabib used singles a lot earlier in his career but over time he started focusing more on upper body work, especially after the Tibau fight where he repeatedly failed to get a finish off of single leg shots. He debuted a more underhook heavy game that's been his mainstay to date the next fight after vs. trujilo and it was a destruction.

Another very skilled wrestler in the form of Ben Askren also had a similar evolution. In college one of his most common forms of engagement was basically diving onto guy's legs to force scramble situations to happen. He scored a lot of points on the counter attack with his very good defense, turning other guy's offensive efforts into his own offense. In MMA however very few guys would be looking to wrestle with him in the first place like that, and to be honest his proactive offense was a less dominant part of his overall game (in so far as you can use the words 'less dominant' when describing an aspect of a world class olympic caliber athlete), so he had to retool his approaches for the most common use-cases he found himself.

Last edited:
Khabib used singles a lot earlier in his career but over time he started focusing more on upper body work, especially after the Tibau fight where he repeatedly failed to get a finish off of single leg shots. He debuted an underhook heavy game that's been his mainstay to date the next fight after vs. trujilo and it was a destruction.

Another very skilled wrestler in the form of Ben Askren also had a similar evolution. In college one of his most common forms of engagement was basically diving onto guy's legs to force scramble situations to happen. He scored a lot of points on the counter attack with his very good defense, turning other guy's offensive efforts into his own offense. In MMA however very few guys would be looking to wrestle with him in the first place like that, and to be honest his proactive offense was a less dominant part of his overall game (in so far as you can use the words 'less dominant' when describing an aspect of a world class olympic caliber athlete), so he had to adapt approaches for the format.
daniel cormier aka had a big influence in khabibs grappling rather people wana admit it or not khabib use to do real basic singles ect but once he got to ufc he realized its very hard to make work thats why he switched gyms cause at that time aka was known as the wrestling power house russia mma mostly uses the ring so they didnt have a very strong cage game m1 uses a ring

it seems single legs arnt not good in todays mma if you are below middle weight run the pipe is the most fundamental move guys go for. guys are just to good at defending now and theres only like 2 options after that guys go for and good guys know whats coming next kinda sad guys are just so good at tdd nowadays i feel when you grab a single to try to get to the body lock from there

but at bigger weight classes 205 and hw guys fall down right away off singles due to bigger guys not having the same balance as smaller guys i dont see near as many doubles at hw cause guys can use there strength more to defend and size

have you noticed this?

I hear that in just pure wrestling, the leg tackles are less, and more trips, and throws because harder for the heavy guys to change level to go for leg tackles.

I can be wrong. I dont watch enough of pure wrestling. It just what I hear.

To add to your point, how many examples can you think of where the shooting/clinching fighter was KO'd on his/her way in? I remember:
Fickett-Koscheck.
Gomi-Ralph Gracie
Thiago-Hughes
Yoel-Weidman
There are definitely some good ones but like you said, in the vast majority of examples the wrestler had already landed/attempted many takedowns. That's what prompts the opponent to try and anticipate the next.

no dude leg at
I hear that in just pure wrestling, the leg tackles are less, and more trips, and throws because harder for the heavy guys to change level to go for leg tackles.

I can be wrong. I dont watch enough of pure wrestling. It just what I hear.
tacks are the number one attack in wrestling by far at heavier weight classes yeah upperbody takedowns become used more often usa doesnt have a strongg reco level so u dont see as many upperbody takedowns as in other european countries ect

There are a few reasons you don't see many singles. A big one is that they work a lot better in opposite stance matchups, and most MMA fighters fight orthodox so the number of chances to shoot them goes way down. Demian Maia is a good example of a guy who shoots them a lot, but he fights southpaw. It's also quite risky to shoot some versions like low singles or head outside, and while people do it it's generally only when they have a big wrestling edge.

There are a few reasons you don't see many singles. A big one is that they work a lot better in opposite stance matchups, and most MMA fighters fight orthodox so the number of chances to shoot them goes way down. Demian Maia is a good example of a guy who shoots them a lot, but he fights southpaw. It's also quite risky to shoot some versions like low singles or head outside, and while people do it it's generally only when they have a big wrestling edge.

really? i thought most mma fighters fight southpaw normally if a guy wrestled he fights southpaw i started boxing when i was 12 then started mma at 15 and was taught to shoot from southpaw but i hated it so i started doing it all from my boxing stance.

but it is confusing shooting a double on someone whos southpaw when you are orthodox is very weird i have to switch stances right before i shoot to get a good angle to drive. i also hate going for singles on southpaws. u have to get alot lower vs both being orthodox.its easy to throw the overhand to get them to block then fade into it.

the southpaw leg is closer to you but its so dangerous given a southpaws lead hook and straight left i feel u need to get pretty low when singling a southpaw

maia forgets how good his bjj is though he could do all kinds of funky things to get it down ad not be in big danger

paul harris use to grab a single then fall back holding the leg forcing single leg x then sweeping i think he should do more things like this vs trying to traditionally wrestle these guys imagine if maia really studied the leg system like today theres alot of funky off balances stuff he could do with the legs to get guys down that others cant get away with cause his ground is so much better than everyone elses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back