single legs failing in mma today

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it seems single legs arnt not good in todays mma if you are below middle weight run the pipe is the most fundamental move guys go for. guys are just to good at defending now and theres only like 2 options after that guys go for and good guys know whats coming next kinda sad guys are just so good at tdd nowadays i feel when you grab a single to try to get to the body lock from there

but at bigger weight classes 205 and hw guys fall down right away off singles due to bigger guys not having the same balance as smaller guys i dont see near as many doubles at hw cause guys can use there strength more to defend and size

have you noticed this?

Id agree, I never shot singles in mma. Defender isn't wearing a shoe and has half his hips free plus can hit you. I also find it a little harder to drive/penatrate as opposed to a double

I always wondered why they fighters didnt try more finishes off their singles anyways. Its always always always run the pipe. No one uses motion then changes direction and switches to the double, no one tree tops the inflexible guys. Is there a reason for that?

I always wondered why they fighters didnt try more finishes off their singles anyways. Its always always always run the pipe. No one uses motion then changes direction and switches to the double, no one tree tops the inflexible guys. Is there a reason for that?
Most of the time they are already bent over and trying to do that is difficult. Also going for the double either regular, front side or back side doesn’t lend itself from being bent over on the shot, plus no shoes, plus meh technique

No one transitions to a double? Glover teixeira has basically made a career out of going for a double off a failed run the pipe.

Nobody goes tree top? Tell that to Tatiana Suarez.

No one transitions to a double? Glover teixeira has basically made a career out of going for a double off a failed run the pipe.

Nobody goes tree top? Tell that to Tatiana Suarez.
Yes clearly i meant its never ever been done and was not using hyperbole. I dont have the percentages but im certain run the pipe dominates as the finishing type. I was and am curious why. Loved the snarky insight though. Anyone else you can think of that uses mutliple single leg finishes in MMA?

I tried to single leg my father once, I failed.<DCrying>
Next time I knee tapped him.

Id agree, I never shot singles in mma. Defender isn't wearing a shoe and has half his hips free plus can hit you. I also find it a little harder to drive/penatrate as opposed to a double

well singles like a jab of takedowns its fastest easiest move to get to but does the less damage or leverage in grappling case im not worried about someone trying to hit me cause cant hit and defend at the same time but yeah without the shoe tree tops become hard to control guys are so good at limp legging now khabib has some success but hes just insane strong and been doing this since he was a baby

people are getting so good at defending takedowns now that now the offense needs to evolve i wonder if its really possible though cause theres only so many ways to get someone down

3min
4:15
4:35
He was one of the best single-leggers I can recall in MMA

Last edited:
Yes clearly i meant its never ever been done and was not using hyperbole. I dont have the percentages but im certain run the pipe dominates as the finishing type. I was and am curious why. Loved the snarky insight though. Anyone else you can think of that uses mutliple single leg finishes in MMA?

yeah run the pipe is prob highest % single finish for mma standards without the shoe man its hard to control the legs when doing tree top singles at lower weight divisions like i said i think when guys get above 170 single legs become a lot better especially at hw since big guys cant balance near as well as smaller guys you will never see single leg finishes at 125 in ufc unless the guys a freak wrestler

yeah run the pipe is prob highest % single finish for mma standards without the shoe man its hard to control the legs when doing tree top singles at lower weight divisions like i said i think when guys get above 170 single legs become a lot better especially at hw since big guys cant balance near as well as smaller guys you will never see single leg finishes at 125 in ufc unless the guys a freak wrestler
Interesting! Shoes are huge for wrestling so I definitely beleive it. I destroyed my feet when i started jiu jitsu simply because I used my foot like a wrestling shoe. Do you think you could grab the ankle like a wrist and tree top them? Probably on someone who sucks lol, like most things, but on somebody good?

Interesting! Shoes are huge for wrestling so I definitely beleive it. I destroyed my feet when i started jiu jitsu simply because I used my foot like a wrestling shoe. Do you think you could grab the ankle like a wrist and tree top them? Probably on someone who sucks lol, like most things, but on somebody good?
not saying it cant happen i dont like to do things that wont work on elite level at lower levels yeah u can get away with it all day i find the best way in mma if you wana do it is to get the leg as high up as you can and run the guy down putting guys ankle on my shoulder

single legs are the most successful takedowns in folkstyle wrestling in mma you cant do sweep singles like in wrestling which gives you a great angle to attack the leg in mma you snatch the leg as your coming forward generally theres just so many things that makes it different vs grappling.

i think reason the head outside single is more famous now is cause its pretty instant you can go for the pipe finish as soon as you make contact vs the head inside single you get to it then have have to step back its faster doing it with head outside i prefer head outside for mma sake vs good pros

@tekkenfan about the head outside single people are too scared of being guillotined but it doesn't mean shit if you end up in side control.

well singles like a jab of takedowns its fastest easiest move to get to but does the less damage or leverage in grappling case im not worried about someone trying to hit me cause cant hit and defend at the same time but yeah without the shoe tree tops become hard to control guys are so good at limp legging now khabib has some success but hes just insane strong and been doing this since he was a baby

people are getting so good at defending takedowns now that now the offense needs to evolve i wonder if its really possible though cause theres only so many ways to get someone down

I don't think there's any shortage of fighting and ground. The cage helps a lot as far as trapping a fighter making them more susceptible to being taken down. Then of course you have knocked down and slips and in rare occasions a guard pull

Most MMA fighters have really good wrestling fundamentals, but not that many have solid advanced wrestling skills.

There's probably a dozen or more options to use if running the pipe fails.

Double, falling double, bar cigar, body lock, knee tap, roll under are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Then there are dozens of options off of all of those TDs as well. A good wreslter should be able to keep the TD attempt in motion until they get it or get reversed.

Last edited:

Double, falling double, bar cigar, body lock, knee tap, roll under are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Whenever my single leg fails I always reach for my bar cigar

M1-e748308b.jpeg

well tbh people today try to avoid taking guys down against the cage
I don't think there's any shortage of fighting and ground. The cage helps a lot as far as trapping a fighter making them more susceptible to being taken down. Then of course you have knocked down and slips and in rare occasions a guard pull
guys nowadays are so good at using the wall to get back up it takes a lot more energy using the wall too 90% of the time when u see a takedown off the wall the guy is back up within 10 seconds

The thing about wrestling is the scoring system and time limit. I never see this mentioned but the amount of energy expended in going for takedowns will always be significantly less than in a pure wrestling match.

@tekkenfan about the head outside single people are too scared of being guillotined but it doesn't mean shit if you end up in side control.
idc if someone tries to choke me if your a good enough grappler you know how to protect yourself. i use to hate the move and use to cringe when id see people use it then saw jake shields really using it well and tons of others then realized how good it really is. since your heads on the outside you can get a good double as well due to good head position

lmao at bar cigar lmao at bar cigar i always just say double since its basically a double with head on inside so i wont butcher the name

the problem is in a sport like mma when guys can hit you on the ground and if u fall down no ref allows you to get back up any tiny little space u give a guy he can sneak a sharp elbow in like rashad who lost recently gave the guy a little space against the fence and he caught a nasty shot.
i dont like dropping to knees unless the guys a few inches shorter than me to get to a double its just so risky going for a takedown is the most risky thing in the whole sport by far
Most MMA fighters have really good wrestling fundamentals, but not that many have solid advanced wrestling skills.

Then there are dozens of options off of all of those TDs as well. A good wreslter should be able to keep the TD attempt in motion until they get it or g

Then there are dozens of options off of all of those TDs as well. A good wreslter should be able to keep the TD attempt in motion until they get it or get reversed.

Back