Shoyoroll Competition Gi, Batch#4 Review

Flounder,

For now we like running small batches. This kinds fits our motto of being "rebels against the mainstream" . The biggest reason I like running small runs is it gives us a chance to see all the last run and make changes and not be stuck with 1000 kimonos in stock like some of the bigger kimono companies (koral, kf, atama, keico) and not have the ability to make adjustments. In the near future we may up our runs to 200-300 gi's per batch. But for now we like to keep it to 100 per batch so we can make all the proper adjustments to hopefully have one of the best gi's on the market.

I can understand that, but I hate when someone is looking for a gi, I can't give you your props. It's kind of like "I know a great gi, but you can't get one". I just figured you could do a genuine pre-order, then fill the pre-order and order an additional 50-100 gis to fill follow-up demand. I definitely think you're going to need to do this with the pants. I'll take 2-4 pair right off the top if you make them available in blue.

Also, it would probably be more trouble then it's worth, but could you include a custom sized gi in your order, or does the process just not work that way?

Hey Shoyoroll do you know what colors you are going with on your next batch?

you could do a genuine pre-order, then fill the pre-order and order an additional 50-100 gis to fill follow-up demand.

Also, it would probably be more trouble then it's worth, but could you include a custom sized gi in your order, or does the process just not work that way?

prices would increase dramatically if your advice was taken

Just got my A2 will wash and review after a class or two! Happy New Year and Thanks To Shoyoroll

prices would increase dramatically if your advice was taken

Shouldn't. If anything, prices would drop because he's ordering in greater quantity. What I'm saying he has a 30 day preorder period. Everyone places and pays for their order (ie for example 125 people preorder gis). So Vince orders 175 gis total. 125 to cover the pre-order and 50 extra.

Vince, you need to bring batch #3 back....the white/black and blue/black was lava!!!Don't get me started if you were to bust out with a all black one.......

I really understand about presale on the kimonos and ordering more gi's for the market. We are trying to get the gi fit down to a science and we are working on making them look cool at the same time. When we get this down then you can look for bigger runs in the future. But for now we have our list of customers interested and shoot out emails before the gi's are being made. Hope that helped a bit guys.

Also with the Batch #3. Be on the look out some cool things in 2009 from SYR.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!! THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.

I really understand about presale on the kimonos and ordering more gi's for the market. We are trying to get the gi fit down to a science and we are working on making them look cool at the same time. When we get this down then you can look for bigger runs in the future. But for now we have our list of customers interested and shoot out emails before the gi's are being made. Hope that helped a bit guys.

Also with the Batch #3. Be on the look out some cool things in 2009 from SYR.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!! THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.

If you email saying, "we got slim fit a3.", I will buy it then and there. Waiting for that email.

You guys rule!

Just a quick update. I washed and dried the gi again, because while I was rolling it seemed a bit baggy. It shrunk again about 1/2-1 inch.

Just to get it out of the way, the pants are perfect.
The jacket is about 1/2 an inch wider than my Padilla, which fits me best.

The sleeves are about 1-1 1/2 inches longer than the Padilla, which is a plus, considering the Padilla sleeves were very good, but just 1/2 an inch too short in my opinion.

Vince, here are my suggestions, and this is form a guy who is 6 feet tall and weighs 170lbs, so fairly skinny, long arms and legs:
- Try to get the jacket more narrow. About 1.5 - 2 inches in width.
- Make the collar thicker (I would say twice the thickness of what it is now). I think it will still be legal and not too stiff.
- Make it in blue or black, so blood stains do not affect it that much.

I would say that it would be a perfect gi for me then.

I am getting an Atama double weave and will compare to this.

Right now, I am almost completely happy. I would love to lose 1 more inch in width and it would be great.
Maybe I ll throw it in the dryer again, after next practice.

Just a quick update. I washed and dried the gi again, because while I was rolling it seemed a bit baggy. It shrunk again about 1/2-1 inch.

Just to get it out of the way, the pants are perfect.
The jacket is about 1/2 an inch wider than my Padilla, which fits me best.

The sleeves are about 1-1 1/2 inches longer than the Padilla, which is a plus, considering the Padilla sleeves were very good, but just 1/2 an inch too short in my opinion.

Vince, here are my suggestions, and this is form a guy who is 6 feet tall and weighs 170lbs, so fairly skinny, long arms and legs:
- Try to get the jacket more narrow. About 1.5 - 2 inches in width.
- Make the collar thicker (I would say twice the thickness of what it is now). I think it will still be legal and not too stiff.
- Make it in blue or black, so blood stains do not affect it that much.

I would say that it would be a perfect gi for me then.

I am getting an Atama double weave and will compare to this.

Right now, I am almost completely happy. I would love to lose 1 more inch in width and it would be great.
Maybe I ll throw it in the dryer again, after next practice.

Was this an A3 gi?

Stoic,

Any updated pictures with a few washes and drys? Thanks for the review.

Vince,shot ya email for the thing ya sent me a little earlier today,should have checked my email sooner................man that thing is LAVA!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the most recent pics. I dont know if you can see the difference, but it feels smaller to me.

First pic is of the Shoyoroll with my Padilla and Sons on top. I lined up the right side (actually left armpit) on each kimono so you can see the difference.

The Padilla is an A3, has only been washed in cold and air/hung dried.
Shoyoroll has been washed on hot 3 times and put in the dryer 3 times.

DSC04236.jpg

DSC04238.jpg

DSC04239.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions.

As if to confirm that this was not one of my better kimono purchases, the patch on the front is starting to rip after rolling in it once. I know it's just a patch, but WTF? 1 roll, really? Why even put it on there?

As if to confirm that this was not one of my better kimono purchases, the patch on the front is starting to rip after rolling in it once. I know it's just a patch, but WTF? 1 roll, really? Why even put it on there?

Sorry to hear about your issues with the chest patch. We only ran one line of stitching on it to make it easy to remove if wanted.

*** Side note. On our Batch #5 the chest patch is going away.

YOU GOT MAIL NY. Thanks for the feedback.

Just a quick update.
I just got a bleached Atama double weave and had it next to my Shoyoroll.
Shoyoroll looks off white, almost yellowish.
Shoyoroll has been in the washer and dryer 4 times and I rolled in it 3 times.

I figured nykayfabe should know.

Just a quick update.
I just got a bleached Atama double weave and had it next to my Shoyoroll.
Shoyoroll looks off white, almost yellowish.
Shoyoroll has been in the washer and dryer 4 times and I rolled in it 3 times.

I figured nykayfabe should know.

Phew. I was starting to think I just had bad luck. Thanks for the info.

Back