Shoyoroll Competition Gi, Batch#4 Review

StoicDude

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I received the Gi today and Shoyoroll said that they sent it out on Saturday, so the delivery was very fast.

For the people that don't know, these Gis were pre order only and I think Shoyoroll is sold out. Contact them to see what's up. The cost of the Gi was $161, which included shipping.

First thing that I noticed when I took the Gi out of the package was that they jacket almost felt like air. Holy crap that thing is light. I have 3 other Gis, which you can see in my other review and all of them feel much heavier and "more dense". I dont know how else to describe it, but the Shoyoroll really feels like it can breath. I haven't rolled in it yet,s o I can't say for sure. It seems like it would be a great summer Gi, or competition Gi.
The interesting thing is that on the scale it does not register. I did this on my bathroom scale, so I can't say it was very accurate. I need to go to a post office and borrow their scales. :icon_chee

Weight, self: 173lbs
Weight with Shoyoroll Gi: 177.5
Weight with Padilla and Sons God Weave Gi: 177.5

Like I said,I don't know how accurate this is.
I would compare this Gi to a Vulkan from the feel and lightness of it. I don't own a Vulkan myself, but one of the guys at school does and it feels very much like it. I have grabbed the Vulkan plenty of times and have also taken a look at it.

Gi top:
Man this thing is huge. I don't know why, but I am swimming in it. I would put money down that Shoyoroll took a look at the Korals for sizing, because the only other Gi in A3 that felt like this was a Koral. HUUUUGE on me.
I am about 170lbs and 6 feet tall. In the pictures you will that I am fairly skinny with long arms and legs, so finding a proper fitting gi is pretty hard for me.

I will have to talk to Shoyoroll about shrinking it, because if it doesn't fit me well I ll have to return it.

The colar on the gi is pretty wide, but it is thing and easy to manipulate, in my opinion. It feels very similar to my Ki International when it comes to ease of manipulation.
Comparing it to the Padilla, it is thinner, but I would say it is as easy to manipulate as Padilla.

The weave on the gi looks like single weave. I know that Shoyoroll is saying it is pearl weave, but since I have no clue what the distinction is I ll believe them. I really don't know what weave is what and which is better, if there is any that is. I can say that the Gi, which Shoyoroll says is 510gm/ m2 certainly feels lighter than the Padilla Gold weave, which is supposed to be 770 gm/ m2 (m2 is square meter).

Reinforcements on the jacket:
This is just my observation. I don't know nor do I have the equipment to test what Gi is more durable. I am just going by the basic notion that more stitches and more fabric = more sturdy (this is not always the case, so I am assuming this)

One thing that I noticed was that Shoyoroll does not have a reinforcement patch underneath the armpit. Every other Gi that I owned has one. Shoyoroll might be able to chime in why they don't have it

They aso don't have the reinforcements around the lapel like my other Gis.
Again, I don't know if this makes a difference in durability, but the others do have it.

Here are the pics BEFORE the wash. As you can see, the jacket is pretty big on me. I ll see if Shoyoroll recommends trying to shrink it, or if I should just try to get an A2, if they have it available.

DSC04182.jpg

DSC04183.jpg

Pants:
These things ROCK!. I would have to say that these are now my favorite pants. Padilla pants are great, but these feel very comfortable and I think the cut is really great for tall skinny guys.
The gold weave on the knees feels very soft and I don't think that I will be wearing my knee pad when I have these on.

The drawstring is very nice as well, because it does not present a problem in untieing the pants. I will have to see how it is when you roll. Not being able to untie your pants s not that big of a deal, but its nice when you don't have to grab keys to jam it into that know in order to untie it.

On the pants the side reinforcements are missing as well. Otherwise the pants are perfect.

I ll post more pics tomorrow if people are interested.
Here are some measurements before the wash:

TOP:
Jacket length (from shoulder to end of jacket): 33.5 inches
Sleeve cuff width: 6 3/4 inches
Sleeve length (from collar to end of sleeve): 32 inches
Sleeve to Sleeve, across back: 71.5 inches

PANTS:
Outseam: 42 3/4 (perfect for me)
Pant Cuff: 9 inches.

Pictures of the pants.
DSC04185.jpg

DSC04186.jpg

The back of the pans is a bit higher than the front, which should prevent them from slipping down and leaving your butt out. Nice detail from shoyoroll.

Shoyoroll, can you clean up your PM mailbox and hit me up. I have questions regarding shrinkage or possible exchange for an A2 jacket.

I'd wait to hear from Vince about the shrinkage, but if it's any consolation, I got an A2 that fit me the same way before washing and drying as your A3. After the wash and dry, the sleeves are perfect. An A1 might've fit me better around the torso, but it would've had no room for play in the sleeves and the "competition" part of this gi would've gone out the window.

Thanks man. That's comforting, because I want to keep the gi. I ll see what Vince says, but I was wondering how you shrunk yours. Hot wash, dryer or both?
How did the collar and the patches hold up to shrinking?
Will the shrinking weaken the gi?

I love the shoyoroll pants. They stay tied and tight on me, something my Gameness pants NEVER do. I think it might be because the draw string is just a wee bit stretchy. Also, I thought the gold weave knees would be uncomfortable on my knees, but you don't even realize it's there.

The goldweave knees are actually really comfortable in my opinion. It feels really soft and a little cushy against my knees.

Hell, if these guys would put some pockets and plain white thread, I would rock these outside, as regular pants.:icon_lol:

Thanks man. That's comforting, because I want to keep the gi. I ll see what Vince says, but I was wondering how you shrunk yours. Hot wash, dryer or both?
How did the collar and the patches hold up to shrinking?
Will the shrinking weaken the gi?

Hot wash and dry. The collar and patches look totally fine. I never heard of shrinking weakening kimonos. I think once you shrink it down, then it's advisable to hang dry since drying often (supposedly) can take a toll on the fabric.

I just rolled in mine last night and I am truely lovin this gi. The fit was a little long both in the sleeves and pant legs. I am 5'10 170lbs wearing the A2. I washed it on hot and dryed on high heat for two cycles and it shrunk up a good 2-3 inches length and maybe 1-2inches in width in the waist, legs and sleeves. this GI is a perfect fit now. Just be careful washing the belt, it will shrink quite a bit more than expected. If you have a bit of a belly you might want to just break in the belt naturally. Great Job with this one SYR!

Nothin' I hate worse than a gi that's too big.

I just rolled in mine last night and I am truely lovin this gi. The fit was a little long both in the sleeves and pant legs. I am 5'10 170lbs wearing the A2. I washed it on hot and dryed on high heat for two cycles and it shrunk up a good 2-3 inches length and maybe 1-2inches in width in the waist, legs and sleeves. this GI is a perfect fit now. Just be careful washing the belt, it will shrink quite a bit more than expected. If you have a bit of a belly you might want to just break in the belt naturally. Great Job with this one SYR!

The gi is coming with a belt?

BTW, does anyone else think this gi isn't quite as white as others? Mine looks almost natural/unbleached when compared to my other white gis.

Mine looks super white. I am afraid to touch it, because it seems very sensitive. I ll try to post pictures of my other white Gis with this one, but I don't think it will be fair, because the other ones are pretty old and worn.

Mine looks super white. I am afraid to touch it, because it seems very sensitive. I ll try to post pictures of my other white Gis with this one, but I don't think it will be fair, because the other ones are pretty old and worn.

Well ain't that some shit? I look forward to your pics.

Here are the pics. I don't know if it is very visible in the pictures. The Shoyoroll gi almost seems a bit glossy when compared to others. Maybe it would go away after washing it. Don't know.

Your gi does look really white. I thought maybe my Lucky is just white on another level or maybe I'm just nitpicking, but my wife confirmed that the SYR is a bit on the yellow side. What do you think?

Img_1839.jpg

Img_1840.jpg

From those pictures it looks like the Lucky is really white and the SYR is a bit off white.
Lighting, flash can influence the appearance in pictures. In person it might be a different story. Since you are noticing it, that is what matters.
I took some better pics that show off the whiteness of mine, so I removed the old ones.

Back