Should we re-address eye pokes/groin strikes penalties after biting incident?

Groin strikes can be avoided. You can wear a steel cup and somewhat mitigate the issue. You can look at Thai boxing and groin strikes aren't really illegal. You can sort of kick that area and they will let the fight go on. The UFC should really change the glove design. There aren't many eye pokes in other promotions unless it is really blatant eye gouging.

I don't understand how bite guy was able to leave a deep mark with a mouth piece on. He must have spit out his mouth piece somewhere along the line.

434139600_731280938991892_5712496428172683536_n.jpg

Hmm it's interesting because bites are so rare in MMA but if I'm walking down the street, I'd probably rather be bitten than poked in the eyes or kick in the nuts

It's completely possible to accidentally kick someone in the package or poke their eye. Not possible to accidentally bite someone, and the optics are terrible

I mean, your mouth could be open and the guy could be shoving their arm in your mouth really hard, that’d leave a similar mark, just tried in on my own arm.

Groin strikes can be avoided. You can wear a steel cup and somewhat mitigate the issue. You can look at Thai boxing and groin strikes aren't really illegal. You can sort of kick that area and they will let the fight go on. The UFC should really change the glove design. There aren't many eye pokes in other promotions unless it is really blatant eye gouging.

I don't understand how bite guy was able to leave a deep mark with a mouth piece on. He must have spit out his mouth piece somewhere along the line.

That mark isn’t that deep, try biting yourself even with a little bit of pressure, very similar mark. Any actual force and you ripping flesh.

I think the commission should review controversial fights where fouls occurred and if for instance it is determined that an eye poke was done intentionally, that then the particular fingers that went into the eyes are severed from the hand they reside on, with a pair of kitchen scissors.

Last edited:
That mark isn’t that deep, try biting yourself even with a little bit of pressure, very similar mark. Any actual force and you ripping flesh.
I have a custom mouth piece. There is no way I am leaving a mark on anything with the top part of it. The bite mark on the guy is both upper and lower teeth.

I have a custom mouth piece. There is no way I am leaving a mark on anything with the top part of it. The bite mark on the guy is both upper and lower teeth.

The mark doesn’t seem like it has individual teeth marks though. It looks like a compact entire dent. Looks more like teeth on the bottom, you can tell it’s a bite mark based on how it’s shaped like a mouth but there’s not really any individual teeth marks.

There seems to be a lot more eye contact and groin strikes in the UFC than necessary

I say eye pokes or groin strike
1) 1 point and hard warning (you just gained a significant advantage over your opponent intentional or not)
2) DQ loss

Bites....
- DQ and ban from the sport no questions asked
Imagine it's the final round of a close fight and one dude charges the other groin first, trying to get hit there so he can steal the round.

I kind of like this sort of foul because it's not something you can lie about (and of you did try it would be hilarious. "My coach kept telling me to be like Tyson and I took it a bit too literally." Yeah some peoole have accidentally poked eyes but let's not pretend a lot of guys don't do it intentionally.

Critical thinking and context. An eye poke and groin shot can be 100% accidental. A bite will almost 100% not be.
Can, sure, are they? I mean, are they 100% accidental? Start deducting 1 point from the very first "accidental" eye poke or low blow and you will see the rate will drop quick, down only to the ones that are actually accidental, a bite its 100% intentional, agreed on that, but, the effect on the fight its night and day, we have seen a lot of fights ending because of eye pokes, from all sort of fouls even with fighters exaggerating badly on their efect to gain advantage like a DQ on it, or at least a way out of a fight they were losing, other than actually ripping a piece from the arm, that fight would had continued with little to no efect from it.

Bottom line, fouls get a pass in MMA so much its almost like they are allowed to cheat 1-2 times without any consequences.

No warnings needed. They should know the rules by now. Don't they need to pass some rules test to be licensed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back