Should Robert Whittaker next fight be a title shot?

Should Robert Whittaker next fight be a title shot?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think he earned it with his performance against Costa.

Thoughts?

What I meant when I said should his next fight be a title shot. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll fight DDP. He could be just waiting in line to get his shot after DDP faces whoever. And who knows maybe DDP will lose his title and it would be a different opponent who Robert Whittaker would be fighting next.

robert-whittaker-getty-1600.jpg

Last edited:
The DDP loss looked rough. Plus you have Strickland, Izzy and Khamzat in contention as well. Khamzat is a big question mark at this point, but he was sort of promised a title fight if he beat Usman (as silly as it is). DDP and Izzy have beef, so that crap sells better.
Maybe just do Strickland - Whittaker next.

Whatever he wants, but Whittaker vs Strickland for title eliminator makes the mose sense because the former already had an opportunity before (and failed to clinch it) while the latter arguably didn't even lose the fight.

Izzy vs DDP should have been an absolute classic though. The ideal scenario for that can't work now because DDP has the belt now and can't play the role of colonizer in Izzy's turf.

Nope, him and DDP just fought not long ago and while Costa is a decent win that shouldn't warrant him a title shot.

I think they should do Sean/Rob next, but I feel they'll maybe do Sean/Khamzat so the other option is Rob/Cannonier 2

The conundrum here is that neither Izzy, Strickland, Khamzat or Whittaker truly deserve a title shot yet. The best solution in my opinion - run Izzy Khamzat for the TS ASAP, and Strickland - Whittaker for the next and hope Izzy loses to either Khamzat or DDP (so that we don't get Strickland 2 or Whittaker 3, and we have some fresh title match ups). Costa can fight Aliskerov or Imavov in the meantime.

It will be nice to see him lose another championship fight and maybe retire so I will never see this gatekeeper again

Part of me wants him to get rewarded for that gritty performance (especially since MW fights tend to not be that exciting for some reason), but considering he already lost to the champ he needs one more imo.

No matter what people are going to say: we all know who is fighting DDP next. I think UFC are going to match up Strickland and Khamzat for a title eliminator in Abu Dhabi, three rounder. That means Whittaker has to look toward either a rematch with Cannonier or some new blood.

The DDP loss looked rough. Plus you have Strickland, Izzy and Khamzat in contention as well. Khamzat is a big question mark at this point, but he was sort of promised a title fight if he beat Usman (as silly as it is). DDP and Izzy have beef, so that crap sells better.
Maybe just do Strickland - Whittaker next.
Khamzat shouldn’t even me mentioned in the MW title picture. He has 1 win against a real MW, zero top 10 wins, zero top 5 wins, and barely scraped by the ghost of WW Usman.
Oh right, but Dana pinky promised him so that’s enough…

Whittaker is in a tough spot where he lost to DDP recently and he got beat up on the ground and feet by him so I think he needs another top 10 win. I would like to see Whittaker fight Strickland.

I’d like to see him fight Strickland and winner gets the shot. It wasn’t but 1 fight ago that he was stopped by DDP, so beating an inactive Costa is not enough to warrant a rematch yet.

This!

He needs 1 more top 5/10 victory and he's earned it. Those 2 haven't fought yet - would love to see it.

I'd be interested in seeing Strickland have a rematch with Cannonier and for Whittaker to take on Khamzat in Saudi Arabia.

Back