Should It Be a Right For Promiscuous Gay Men to Donate Blood?

The PRIDE stories my gay friends have inflicted on me so far puts me firmly in the camp of erring on the side of caution.

The PRIDE stories my gay friends have inflicted on me so far puts me firmly in the camp of erring on the side of caution.

Nothing pisses me off more than gays using PRIDE name for gay stuff!

There is only one PRIDE and its in JAPAN! And nothing to do with GAYNESS!

blood should be identified as gay blood or straight blood. white blood or brown blood. male blood or female blood.

we don't want, for instance, darky blood in us if we're white and vice versa. who knows what kinda crazy stuff can happen!

we don't want, for instance, darky blood in us if we're white and vice versa. who knows what kinda crazy stuff can happen!

I hope this is satire but Ithis position is held by a lot of people unfortunately.

I hope this is satire but Ithis position is held by a lot of people unfortunately.

gotta keep the bloodline pure

kvu9otg2vtxt-full.jpg

The problem is that homosexual habits are not getting better in correlation with the progress in technology/medicine/preventative measures. The statistics say that the rate of unprotected sex (with the majority of homosexuals now partaking in it) and the percentage of homosexuals inflicted with STDs are actually sky-rocketing in recent times, with no end in sight.

Considering that, I don't really see the point in changing a rule that's been effective at reducing the chance of spreading disease through blood donations.

In Canada when I donate blood they do a bunch of tests and ask you a questionnaire about your sexual/drug/travel habits. You can screen out for a bunch of reasons. I’ve screened out for travel and drugs a few times. As I’ve never had gay sex I don’t know what happens when you answer that question or the questions about having sex with Africans. If your blood fails for something like aids or hep c you get a letter telling you you’re banned for life.

Can't they just test them beforehand? Or at least test the donated blood before they use it? I guess it's cost related, but I would think that they would test all blood before injecting it into someone else. I don't know how it all works, but I hope they aren't just using the honor system to distinguish clean blood from dirty blood, before they actually use it.

Surprisingly some infected blood gets through. Its a small chance and most typically occurs in areas with low income that cant afford all the testing methods but does happen periodically.
Its 18$ to test blood in the us from my memory. And currently in india 2000 people received hiv infected donations. Relative risk is 1 in 1.5mil donations.

I donate every 4 months and signed up for bone marrow transplant if a match is found i will donate. My blood type is rare so i get called often.

Surprisingly some infected blood gets through. Its a small chance and most typically occurs in areas with low income that cant afford all the testing methods but does happen periodically.
Its 18$ to test blood in the us from my memory. And currently in india 2000 people received hiv infected donations. Relative risk is 1 in 1.5mil donations.

<6>

This thread is so dumb.

People get tested before they're allowed to give blood.

Not really. If people admit to risky behaviors, it's best to not even handle their blood.

Or we could not take their word for it either way and just test them first to be certain.

Which is what we do.

This thread is so dumb.

People get tested before they're allowed to give blood.

Tests do have a cost, though. That's why there's usually a preliminary survey to eliminate the most likely individuals to be afflicted with a blood-transmitted disease, from taking the tests.

Tests do have a cost, though. That's why there's usually a preliminary survey to eliminate the most likely individuals to be afflicted with a blood-transmitted disease, from taking the tests.

So?

People can lie.

You still get tested before you're allowed to give blood.

They don't just give people blood without it being tested. This is the stupidest thread I have ever seen. Oh hey you look clean, let's take your blood and just inject it straight into someone else without testing.

No, it isn't and should not be a right.

So?

People can lie.

You still get tested before you're allowed to give blood.
You don't get tested before you're allowed to give blood. You answer questions on a survey, and if you identify yourself as someone who has recently traveled outside the country, born in certain parts of Europe during certain years (mad cow disease threat, apparently), recent tattoo or piercing, or identified yourself as having unprotected sex with more than one partner (I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones off the top of my head), you are barred from giving blood. If you say that everything is all good, they accept the donation and then test the blood later before it's given to a patient.

Back