Should I train at an expensive judo place?

There is a new martial arts gym near my place and they have a judo program 3 days a week. The guy that teaches was an Olympic coach for Canada and Iran. I checked and he is legit but here is the problem.

Aside from 3 days a week, the classes are only 1 hour and the rates are:

1 day a week= 120 dollars
2 days a week=185
3 days a week= 225

Now the old place I trained at had 2 classes per week but each class was 2 hours for 70 dollars a month. It was a great dojo but extremely far. What I am wondering is, if training with a high caliber coach is worth the fee and if its different training with an average judo instructor?

That's ridiculous. I paid about 90 a month at my old club, and there were easily 2-3 former olympic/world competitors on the mats every night, sometimes more.

I'm sure the trainings good, but that's wild.

That's ridiculous. I paid about 90 a month at my old club, and there were easily 2-3 former olympic/world competitors on the mats every night, sometimes more.

I'm sure the trainings good, but that's wild.

I agree with you, if it was 120 dollars a month for 3 days a week then that would be one thing but starting with 120 dollars for one day a week is just nonsense...

All of this, just for a 1 hour session. All of my sessions are usually two hours, with a 20-30 min warm up

I agree with you, if it was 120 dollars a month for 3 days a week then that would be one thing but starting with 120 dollars for one day a week is just nonsense...

Exactly. Also, that gym had classes 7 days a week. 120 for a single class is loony tunes.

What millionaire gym in this? Do you have a link?

Disses MMA because "muh respect" and uses "thru" instant do not train there at all for me personally.

Before I opened this thread I was thinking "if the training is really good, why not?", but then I saw the prices and the very short schedule, hell not.

Dude go to Kensington. $280 CAD per 3 months is $70 usd, that would be cheap even in America.

Holler if you end up picking a gym, I haven't done anything in Vancouver except drive from the airport to Whistler. Not that it wasn't the most beautiful drive I've ever been on. I really wish we had the reciprocity agreement with you guys that the Commonwealth and Asian countries have because I'd clean toilets in Whistler and live in a van and be the happiest person alive.

Oh hey, by the way, YAY JUDO! It's the best. It sucks but it's the best. Tuck your chin and slap the mat.

Dude go to Kensington. $280 CAD per 3 months is $70 usd, that would be cheap even in America.

Holler if you end up picking a gym, I haven't done anything in Vancouver except drive from the airport to Whistler. Not that it wasn't the most beautiful drive I've ever been on. I really wish we had the reciprocity agreement with you guys that the Commonwealth and Asian countries have because I'd clean toilets in Whistler and live in a van and be the happiest person alive.

I went to Kensington, it was an awesome experience, super nice instructors and all students were helpful and friendly and each class was two hours.

I had to stop because I am no longer in that area. That being said, I found another school near my house. I was there once but I thought they were defunct because had no website/contact for a while but they are still around...

Judo program at Pedro's Judo in Wakefield is $135/mo, $100 with a valid student ID. That sounds awfully steep.

...that's bout the going rate for most BJJ places and most BJJ places aren't run by the USA Judo Olympic coach.

Kayla Harrison, Travis Stevens, Ronda Rousey, and Rick Hawn all spent significant time at Pedro's.

...that's bout the going rate for most BJJ places and most BJJ places aren't run by the USA Judo Olympic coach.

Kayla Harrison, Travis Stevens, Ronda Rousey, and Rick Hawn all spent significant time at Pedro's.

I remember hearing Jimmy Pedros when Matt Hughes tried to bring him and Mike Swain for the Karo fight until Karo got hurt. Afterwards I heard an interview with either Jimmy or his father talking about Ronda who was difficult to deal with emotionally and he predicted that Ronda would be the type to be immensely devastated should she ever have her first loss and it turned out to be true since she became a mess compared to other fighters.

But yeah I agree, this expensive judo classes are pointless. I remember at Kensington, the classes were two hours, we worked extensively on all aspects and yet I felt we could have done more. The other place I found is 1 hour and a half. Its been there for 25 years but just a very obscure place and when I talked to the guy almost a decade ago, I got the impression that he was about to close down shop but I guess he is still around.

Its crazy but the place for some time had no website, no youtube videos or any type of online presence nor being on a yellow page.

it's been my experience that the people who focus on marketing and advertising and justifying their martial arts are the people who need to.

Here is the link:

http://www.eoma.ca/

No prices on the site but they emailed me the prices.

"At our academy in North Vancouver, which we also serve the community of West Vancouver , we have adopted the traditional martial art ranking system and customized our boxing program to be taught in levels by using different color hand wraps."

{<jordan}

"we've monetized and incentivized everything we do so you and your precious snowflake keep paying us to make you feel better about yourself. HIYA!"

"we've monetized and incentivized everything we do so you and your precious snowflake keep paying us to make you feel better about yourself. HIYA!"
Clearly, you lack the spirit of pure martial arts. Sad!

If you had the mindset of a true martial artist, you too could attain the rank of pink glove.

boxing).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back