Should I train at an expensive judo place?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
There is a new martial arts gym near my place and they have a judo program 3 days a week. The guy that teaches was an Olympic coach for Canada and Iran. I checked and he is legit but here is the problem.

Aside from 3 days a week, the classes are only 1 hour and the rates are:

1 day a week= 120 dollars
2 days a week=185
3 days a week= 225

Now the old place I trained at had 2 classes per week but each class was 2 hours for 70 dollars a month. It was a great dojo but extremely far. What I am wondering is, if training with a high caliber coach is worth the fee and if its different training with an average judo instructor?

That is easily the most expensive Judo place I've ever heard of. Easily rivals the most expensive BJJ places too. Wow.

Where do you live?

I pay that for BJJ, but I live in NYC. I've heard Vancouver has gotten pretty expensive lately, so maybe those prices are not so out of line?

Wait, is that CAD or USD? If it's canadian that's $170 USD, which is fucking nuts, and if it's USD that's $300 CAD per month, which is even more nuts.

There's a niche market of former Olympians and Coaches gouging gullible people in almost every sport.

I pay that for BJJ, but I live in NYC. I've heard Vancouver has gotten pretty expensive lately, so maybe those prices are not so out of line?

When I was up at Whistler I talked to a couple who'd grown up in Vancouver and moved up to Squamish to climb. They wanted to move back to Vancouver to start a family and just straight-up can't afford to.

Which is a shame. One of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to as far as surrounding views.

Still its judo and most judo places in my province are around 70 dollars a month for more hours.

Wait, is that CAD or USD? If it's canadian that's $170 USD, which is fucking nuts, and if it's USD that's $300 CAD per month, which is even more nuts.

There's a niche market of former Olympians and Coaches gouging gullible people in almost every sport.

I believe you are right, I mean, if I am still a beginner, there is no point for an Olympian since I still need to stay at beginners level.

Still its judo and most judo places in my province are around 70 dollars a month for more hours.
It's going to come down to whether or not you think the price is fair. You know what the going rate is, so it had better be an absolutely fantastic place to train.

Maybe the coaching is first rate, and the class size is small, and the facility is the best, and judo is really important to you. In that case, it's probably worth it. But if some of those things aren't true, you're probably better off going somewhere else.

Sounds like a scam, so no.

if you ask me would you get better training with this olympian 3x1hr/week, or with a dojo worth half its salt where you can train 7x2 hrs/week, it would be the latter, and with all that extra dough you'd have you could be eatin like a fawkin champ.

Last year I bought 2 tons of moose meat and a second wife that I keep in the basement, and that only cost me 100 USD.

better than a 2-ton wife and a second moose in the basement.

There is a new martial arts gym near my place and they have a judo program 3 days a week. The guy that teaches was an Olympic coach for Canada and Iran. I checked and he is legit but here is the problem.

Aside from 3 days a week, the classes are only 1 hour and the rates are:

1 day a week= 120 dollars
2 days a week=185
3 days a week= 225

Now the old place I trained at had 2 classes per week but each class was 2 hours for 70 dollars a month. It was a great dojo but extremely far. What I am wondering is, if training with a high caliber coach is worth the fee and if its different training with an average judo instructor?

It seems expensive and you might get a high level coach but what type of training partner would you get? I would expect no many people can afford such fees.

Hell no, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for 3 days a week. If you were an experienced competitive player trying to take his game to the next level, I could understand, but at a beginners level you're not gonna be understand the technical details of a top level coach. You would be much better served learning from a good teacher who costs much less.

It seems expensive and you might get a high level coach but what type of training partner would you get? I would expect no many people can afford such fees.

Hell no, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for 3 days a week. If you were an experienced competitive player trying to take his game to the next level, I could understand, but at a beginners level you're not gonna be understand the technical details of a top level coach. You would be much better served learning from a good teacher who costs much less.

Amen to that!

I agree with the both of you, I have seen it with kickboxing, when fees are high, you only get rich folks who want to get in shape. That and like it was mentioned a beginner is stuck doing beginner drills. So learning specific techniques is pointless without the foundation.

Fuck that. Plenty of good judo for less.

Back