Should Champions be stripped for pulling out?

DLX

thpinal
@Silver
Reaction score
This may sound radical, and probably unfair, but it seems as though every time we get a new champion, he gets injured and has to sit out for a year, holding up the division and creating useless interim titles. I feel like there's too much of a leeway for guys that get injured, and maybe punishing guys for it will force people to not train like dumbasses.

Should Champions be given a One Pull-out allowance before getting stripped? Meaning they get one strike for pull outs, and the next time means they get stripped and the next two guys up fight for the title (The previous champ would get the next title shot once he's ready to come back from injury).

This method keeps the divisions moving, and forces guys to either fight injured and risk losing their title, or learn to train effectively without tearing up their bodies. It also removes the injury factor when setting up potential title shots (Cain, Aldo, Weidman, etc...) because there's no risk of divisions being held up from the champion sitting out.

What say brodog? Should this be implemented or is it too harsh?

The fight is not even close to happening but instead of just taking a break the guy already pulled out.

He totally DUCKED in my opinion

Omg Whittaker has colitis too leave him alone

It's just part of the sport

But if I was the brass I'd be keeping a close eye on how many bookings they have in this period of 'injury'

'Meet and greet with UFC champ' will sell a lot more tickets than 'UFC fighter'
'Have a picture with the belt' etc

Easy money
Pretty much how I envisioned Pettis's long and uneventful reign of injury

1yf17k.jpg

pull out is acceeptable under the right circumstances

Whittaker was obviously not fully healed and just wanted to try make the Perth card.

This injury would never of happened if bisping defended against the number 1 contender instead of getting smashed by a 4 year retired WW.

latest

Champions never pull out

They should be automatically stripped after a year if they have been healthy and don't have a fight booked.

I've been saying it for the last 10 years. Since Matt Serra had the WW belt.

You want them to pull out surely.

Don't want any more champions out for a year because their wife got pregnant.

This will cause a lot of sick, staph infected, broken legged people to fight to defend their belt

This will totally fix the sport

Sport is too brutal unless it's a repeat offence or 3

Interim belts exist for exactly this reason; so the division can move on while the Champ is out.

Why autists here have such a problem with them I do not know. It's not like the lineal belts were handed down by visiting Asgardian Gods or something.

It's more money on the line nowadays. The sport as a whole is more legit. I think that's why fighters ( and a lot of champions) pull out more often nowadays compared to before. A fighter might have a small injury he can fight through if he wants to but decides it's not worth it because it's just too much on the line.

But yea, these undisclosed injuries are frustrating. It is what it is. It's a tough question. What do we do if a champion pulls out on fight day?

I wish the UFC would create a clear framework on how to deal with situations like that or guys like Conor holding up divisions. There should be clear rules.

--> Every champ should have to defend within 12 months
--> If they can't, strip them of their title without exception, whether they can't defend because of injury or are unwilling to defend
--> If someone lost their belt because of a long-term injury, rather than losing a fight, give them an immediate shot to fight for the belt again, the moment they are fit again. That would have been the right thing to do in the Dominick Cruz dilemma.
--> Idealistically all champs should be treated the same, big names should have more leverage to get more money, but not more leverage to hold up a division

This will cause a lot of sick, staph infected, broken legged people to fight to defend their belt

This will totally fix the sport

I can understand sickness and infections, in that case a fight can be postponed month.

However when it comes to injury, guys need to learn to train smarter. If you're not 100% and you lose the title, so be it. I'd rather have belts change hands every so often than guys becoming champion, then sitting out a year and a half while the UFC had to make interim belts, then you've got 100 champions. It maintains legitimacy of the belt.

It also gives a greater respect to guys that can keep their titles over a prolonged period of time.

I can understand sickness and infections, in that case a fight can be postponed month.

However when it comes to injury, guys need to learn to train smarter. If you're not 100% and you lose the title, so be it. I'd rather have belts change hands every so often than guys becoming champion, then sitting out a year and a half while the UFC had to make interim belts, then you've got 100 champions. It maintains legitimacy of the belt.

It also gives a greater respect to guys that can keep their titles over a prolonged period of time.

I saw Jumanji II before seeing the original, is that weird?

Back