Short vid of me doing some heavybag work - Give me your opinion

Rewatching this fella. I know you're a lefty. If you're throwing a lead right keep your hand above your waist dude. You'll kick the crap out of some losers, if you walk face first at punches you won't.

And Yeah, work on the footwork, your right foot isn't in the correct place.

Rewatching this fella. I know you're a lefty. If you're throwing a lead right keep your hand above your waist dude. You'll kick the crap out of some losers, if you walk face first at punches you won't.

I am right handed. Why do you say I'm a lefty? Maybe cos my straight right is shit ahah

I am right handed. Why do you say I'm a lefty? Maybe cos my straight right is shit ahah
No, what I meant was you throw your left with mean intentions. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

As a newbie myself.. My coach always says for me to grasp the basic hands up stance, only with experience can you begin to rely on different forms of defence. I get a gentle clout with the pads to remind me (have a habit of dropping my right hand on the lead hook).

Also, people may disagree here but as a beginner, i'd bring the double jab back to your face every time. I know experienced boxers don't do this but it gets you into the habit of throwing and re-covering immediately.

Slow with text-book technique consistently and only then will the speed and power increase proportionally.

You look beauty for someone with no boxing lessons under their belt, some real nice natural power!

As I explain in the video I unfortunately never did any boxing, the things I know I picked up on the internet, but never did any sparring or anything.
Every now n' again i consider pickin' it up and training in a gym but then I just realize that at it's not the best sport to begin when you're 30. Also, I should probably lose some serious weight.

it's not bad, if it were me, i'd raise that bag up so you're not hitting the upper portion which always tends to be soft, if it's just a hobby and excercise, it's fine, it's a good workout. if you want to do things right, that's a different story, you'd have to begin by breaking everything down, punch by punch. If I were to teach anyone, I haven't taught much, but if i did, i would teach one thing at a time, each skill takes time to learn, the one major qualm i have with how people teach in large groups is how they just throw a bunch of stuff together with no care for how it's being taught. You want each punch right, you have to work a lot on each one, someone here recently quoted eubank senior as saying it takes a year or so to learn a 1-2, it's true. if you're training alone, you have to be your own best teacher and worse critic, i've been doing it 30 years and nothing i do is perfect, nothing so it really never ends.

Not that bad. Add jumping rope and shadowboxing to your routine and your footwork will get a lot better and you will lose a lot of weight. Also try moving around the bag in between the combinations. But as said you dont look that bad. Good luck mate and for sure its not to late for going into a boxing gym at your age.

As I explain in the video I unfortunately never did any boxing, the things I know I picked up on the internet, but never did any sparring or anything.
Every now n' again i consider pickin' it up and training in a gym but then I just realize that at it's not the best sport to begin when you're 30. Also, I should probably lose some serious weight.

Honestly, go to a gym bro

Find a coach to help work on your basics. He or she will point out the details.

From the video, you tend to hold out your left out too long after contact with the bag, you also take an oddly dip when you throw your left (to head height). Your left also seems to be way to telegraph. Keep your elbows in tight when throwing that left.

That said, its never to late to learn. Forget about how old you are and just learn and have fun.

Goodluck man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back