Short vid of me doing some heavybag work - Give me your opinion

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As I explain in the video I unfortunately never did any boxing, the things I know I picked up on the internet, but never did any sparring or anything.
Every now n' again i consider pickin' it up and training in a gym but then I just realize that at it's not the best sport to begin when you're 30. Also, I should probably lose some serious weight.

As I explain in the video I unfortunately never did any boxing, the things I know I picked up on the internet, but never did any sparring or anything.
Every now n' again i consider pickin' it up and training in a gym but then I just realize that at it's not the best sport to begin when you're 30. Also, I should probably lose some serious weight.

Keep your left up. I'm 31 and knocked it off because my joints couldn't cope.if you want a full look at your form I'll try and help.

You have some good natural ability and understanding of mechanics. Not embarrassing at all.

Your left side is pretty good. Your feet were impressive for someone who hasn't been instructed. Your right side is a little weak. You need to practice "sit down" on those punches and they will hit so much harder, that's why your right was lacking. Not bad-- you seem strong with good characteristics. You could be a sweet boxer in less time than most if you went to a technical, smart trainer (not one of those dime-a-dozen bootcamp grunt types who dont know what they're doing)

RIght now is the perfect time for you to join boxing, unless you were planning on making it a pro career, maybe.

You don't need to lose weight. I went in looking like you a little later than your age and did fantastic. I earned a reputation at that gym and did things I didn't expect were possible.

You'll regret it if you dont at least try. Dabble and get your feet wet-- you don't have to go all in all at once.

Last edited:
You coulda been a contender!

one big problem i see with a lot of people who try and teach themselves how to hit a heravybag is that they always have them way way too low

go to a gym, your not too old

thankyou very much for your replies...well I have this feeling that moving my feet in the correct way kinda comes natural to me.

About the right I must say I didn't really go full power but I always had the impression that my straight right was kinda week, whilst I think my strongest punch is the right hook/overhand

one big problem i see with a lot of people who try and teach themselves how to hit a heravybag is that they always have them way way too low

go to a gym, your not too old
but does that necessarily mean sparring? I don't want to pussy out but my profession does not allow me to go to work all banged up...but I also feel that sparring, maybe even light sparring, is the onyl way to really test yourself

Keep your left up. I'm 31 and knocked it off because my joints couldn't cope.if you want a full look at your form I'll try and help.

Joints are good for the moment, I get a little bit of muscle pain if I don't train for a few weeks but that's normal eheh...was planning to go on a diet actually

I recently picked it up again aged 43 - youre never too old. Get to a gym.

I recently picked it up again aged 43 - youre never too old. Get to a gym.
I know where you're coming from bro. I've got a broken ankle which they don't want to operate on. I'm sure I could get back in the gym but it will hurt like hell.

for learning on your own, that's pretty good.

i think you should go check out a gym, it's never too old to start training. there's a guy who's in his 80s at my gym and he does both boxing and muay thai (to the best of his capabilities)

Joints are good for the moment, I get a little bit of muscle pain if I don't train for a few weeks but that's normal eheh...was planning to go on a diet actually
Get yourself a gym and a trainer. Quickest way to lose bad habits.

I know where you're coming from bro. I've got a broken ankle which they don't want to operate on. I'm sure I could get back in the gym but it will hurt like hell.

The trick is to find ways of training round these things - talk to a physio, get it strapped up, wear a fucking ski boot if thats what it takes :)

Ive got a dodgy back, so warm up the way I want and dont do situps.

The trick is to find ways of training round these things - talk to a physio, get it strapped up, wear a fucking ski boot if thats what it takes :)

Ive got a dodgy back, so warm up the way I want and dont do situps.
I hear you. I'm not sure what they can do for a bone chip floating around. I've never messed around with warmups.

Looks good for being self-trained! As others have said, no reason you can't join a boxing gym at age 30. If nothing else, you'll get to use a heavier bag which won't move so much. If you're apprehensive and have some money to spend, you might even want to do some private lessons with a trainer.

A couple of small things to work on until then are keeping your elbow from flaring out on your rights and not leaving your arm extended on the double jab. It seems like 90% of the mistakes beginners make involve not having their hands or shoulders in good defensive position when they are thinking about their offense and throwing punches. But better to hear that from a guy who is actually training you.

but does that necessarily mean sparring? I don't want to pussy out but my profession does not allow me to go to work all banged up...but I also feel that sparring, maybe even light sparring, is the onyl way to really test yourself

Sparring is good, light sparring works.

Another thing that trainers use that works (faster than sparring) is drills. It's not a complete replacement for sparring but it is an extremely good accelerant and partial replacement for a lot of wasted time sparring and not getting much better.

1. Always keep your non-punching hand up
2. When you punch your fists should go right back to the place of origin with the same velocity (think of it like a rock tied to an elastic string)
3. When you double hook, your chin/shoulder should follow your first as it retracts (dip your shoulder before the second hook) - otherwise you'll get KO'd on a counter
4. Don't take any pictures. Common mistake for beginners is to sit there and admire their work after a combo. You're not a spectator. Get in and get out. Watch the video tape later if you wanna see how you looked.
5. Your shoulder has to be centered to the target (e.g. you know your hook has enough pivot force when your shoulder is dead center of the torso at point of delivery)

But above all else....KEEP YOUR NON PUNCHING HAND UP, HIGH UP

Last edited:
Thankyou all, great advice from everyone.
Appreciated!

1. Always keep your non-punching hand up
2. When you punch your fists should go right back to the place of origin with the same velocity (think of it like a rock tied to an elastic string)
3. When you double hook, your chin/shoulder should follow your first as it retracts (dip your shoulder before the second hook) - otherwise you'll get KO'd on a counter
4. Don't take any pictures. Common mistake for beginners is to sit there and admire their work after a combo. You're not a spectator. Get in and get out. Watch the video tape later if you wanna see how you looked.
5. Your shoulder has to be centered to the target (e.g. you know your hook has enough pivot force when your shoulder is dead center of the torso at point of delivery)

But above all else....KEEP YOUR NON PUNCHING HAND UP, HIGH UP
seriously great advice here.

Also, keep taping yourself and study your mechanics. In hs, I was a pretty good pitcher, they would tape us throwing so we could go back and study our mechanics to see what we were doing right and wrong. That helped me a ton. I won't get into the minutiae of all the boring pitching fundamentals, but it helped with a couple flaws I had just seeing the mistakes from a different pov. It also positively reinforced my positive attributes.

So when I really became interested in the sport and I would spar with my brother back in the day, we would tape the sparring sessions and critique ourselves like crazy. I would get physically angry if I watched the spar sessions (I use that term loosely compared to real, well trained guys) my punches weren't thrown correctly or I fell of balance, over committed on a punch/combo, threw a lazy jab that got countered, and as Moos said, I had to learn to keep my non punching hand up to my face. Glue that shit to your face, wrap it up, do whatever you have to in order to make sure your hands are up. Your hook tends to fly a bit wide, try to tighten it up a bit.

Get to a gym if you really want to learn though, teaching yourself is always gonna be an issue if you don't have somebody who really knows their shit to show you the ropes. I'm not the best guy to critique you but hope the input helps a bit. Moosaev gave you a great b/d though. Keep taping and studying your technique, as well.

GL bud.

Back