Shopify bans sale of most firearms and parts

If the fees they might charge for merchant services is anything like they are for selling . . . sheesh.

I pay $22/month for merchant services whether I have a sale or not . . .

I hear ya'. It's not like they couldn't be more reasonable with this.

Hey @sickc0d3r. Does your username imply you could design a shopify-type merchant services solution? Sounds like there's a hole in the market for a service catering to the firearms industry.

I hear ya'. It's not like they couldn't be more reasonable with this.

Hey @sickc0d3r. Does your username imply you could design a shopify-type merchant services solution? Sounds like there's a hole in the market for a service catering to the firearms industry.
As long as you aren't talking about UI design, yes (I sometimes program UI stuff but it's not really my thing). I work with payment processing solutions for a living, going on 17 years now. An untapped market in firearm sales definitely tickles my fancy :cool:

You're only going to get 2A nutters replying in a thread like this.

(Oh, and those who want to poke the 2A nutters with a stick.) :)

Does anyone that has an interest in preserving the 2nd fall under the umbrella of " nutter " to an insipid little twat like yourself ?

Asking for a friend.

As long as you aren't talking about UI design, yes (I sometimes program UI stuff but it's not really my thing). I work with payment processing solutions for a living, going on 17 years now. An untapped market in firearm sales definitely tickles my fancy :cool:

Bruh, I have no idea what I'm talking. :eek::D

Payment processing, eh? That's kinda perfect for this. I don't know enough to know just how little we could get away with in terms of how much tech we'd need to offer. I've no doubt though that a platform dedicated to the industry (and anyone else) would grow over time. Merchants can't be too happy with the uncertainty surrounding which company will be the next to pull this type of stunt.

Are you familiar with how something like Shopify works?

You people are laughable every time you open your mouth. You're super happy about the gays getting owned in court against that pastry shop jesus-hugger on the basis of his religious freedom (as if it wasn't a total load of bullshit) but then you complain when another company won't sell your toys?

Their store, their rules, that simple
<BirdieOwn>

Does anyone that has an interest in preserving the 2nd fall under the umbrella of " nutter " to an insipid little twat like yourself ?

Asking for a friend.

Only someone with an unhealthy emotional investment in firearms is capable of believing that the Founder's intention for the second amendment has any relevance in 21st century America after looking at all the empirical, historical evidence.

So, yes.

Only someone with an unhealthy emotional investment in firearms is capable of believing that the Founder's intention for the second amendment has any relevance in 21st century America after looking at all the empirical, historical evidence.

So, yes.

You trembling like a leaf at the thought of living in an armed society does an objective observation make.

You people are laughable every time you open your mouth. You're super happy about the gays getting owned in court against that pastry shop jesus-hugger on the basis of his religious freedom (as if it wasn't a total load of bullshit) but then you complain when another company won't sell your toys?

Their store, their rules, that simple
<BirdieOwn>

Didn't bother to read the thread?

You trembling like a leaf at the thought of living in an armed society does an objective observation make.

I am not "anti-gun". I have owned firearms and may own them again one day depending on my geographic situation.

But I have the same relationship with guns that I have with the scissor jack in the trunk of my car. It is a tool I never think about, much less obsess over. And one I hope I will never, ever have to actually use for its intended purpose.

The second amendment was meant to keep the US from establishing a paid, standing army, since the Founders believed that the existence of such a force would open the door wide to a tyrannical government.

However well-intentioned, it was a shitty plan that quickly failed. (And failed big-time based on the current 700 billion dollar military budget.) The 2A is a relic of history that belongs in the dustbin. A set of sane and reasonable gun laws, where ownership is deemed an earned privilege, are what's needed in the 21st century.

Bruh, I have no idea what I'm talking. :eek::D

Payment processing, eh? That's kinda perfect for this. I don't know enough to know just how little we could get away with in terms of how much tech we'd need to offer. I've no doubt though that a platform dedicated to the industry (and anyone else) would grow over time. Merchants can't be too happy with the uncertainty surrounding which company will be the next to pull this type of stunt.

Are you familiar with how something like Shopify works?
My expertise is in the merchant's point of sale message formatting, encryption, communication, storage, management and reporting. Shopify provides an online store design solution I think, which presumably includes gateway and admin tools for the backend. If we're trying to build a replacement for shopify that specializes in firearms I'm game! I'd be useful for everything but the screen designs.

My expertise is in the merchant's point of sale message formatting, encryption, communication, storage, management and reporting. Shopify provides an online store design solution I think, which presumably includes gateway and admin tools for the backend. If we're trying to build a replacement for shopify that specializes in firearms I'm game! I'd be useful for everything but the screen designs.

I know a guy who could maybe provide in the design aspect. He makes a living building websites. So there's that.

<GinJuice>

Agree to disagree on whether this is an issue or not . . . I happen to believe it is. Especially based on the actions of other commonly used platforms. Of course there are other options, but most aren't as "dummy proof" as Shopify or Etsy, etc.

There is not accepting new customers who sell firearms and then there is cutting off/removing existing customers . . . completely removing an existing customers ability to process online payments without notice is definitely denying their ability to do business.

I'm not super convinced that them not allowing gun sales on their platforms, is stopping people from being able to do business. So that's why I'm putting this in the non issue box.

Banks on the other hand, I believe should have to accept firearm manufacturers and dealers, as well as any other legal business, provide they meet the normal standards for loan and such.

If you don't like the policies a company has, don't shop there.
HGgC.gif

This. Private company. Can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want

Take your business to a competitor and if enough do, then they go bankrupt or change their policies. If not, well then it seems to be a pretty ok business move

Three separate times I've read the thread title as "Spotify". Which has confused the fuck out of me.

Gunbroker is very expensive to sell on . . . I've heard of dealers selling guns for a $3 profit on there . . .
What about guns America is that still a thing?

I know a guy who could maybe provide in the design aspect. He makes a living building websites. So there's that.

<GinJuice>
Boom. Let's do this. You'll be the brains behind it all, and the host of the annual bbq slash beach party I assume.

Back