Shogun is such an under rated counter puncher. 1 of the best counter punchers in LHW history IMO

Remember when Roach said Shogun punched like a girl before training with him?

"It's funny, when we first started working together [Rua] wasn't punching really hard because he didn't have his balance and his feet under him, and I told him he punched like a girl. The last day he said, ‘Freddie, can I ask you a question? Do I punch like a boy now?' I said, ‘Yes, you do.' He's really fun guy to be around and a really hard worker. We had a really good time."

"He didn't have his feet under him. He wasn't pivoting off the right foot at the right time," Roach explained. "The thing about striking is having weight on the right foot at the right time, and driving off that foot. He was more or less just using his upper body, which is okay. But if you get your whole body behind your shot, it's just much, much better."

"He went from an okay puncher to a great puncher in less than a week. He picks up on things very quickly because of the athlete he is. It was like night and day, when he started to when he left. He really, really had a lot more power under his shots. But the thing is, he has to sit down with his shots a little bit more. Sometimes it's a little bit harder with MMA because of the aspect of being kicked at the same time, but it did work for him. When we worked off angles it worked really, really well. I was really happy with the progress."

Great post

I remember when Shogun use to train with the Brazilian boxing team, and I was always sad because I knew nothing would ever come of it

Brazil has ZERO boxing pedigree, zero boxing history, and is one of the WEAKEST boxing nations on earth

When it comes to the best boxing nations with the greatest pedigrees and history, it's Eastern Europe/America/Cuba/Ireland....

Those are the nation's with the deepest boxing programs, and the greatest boxing pedigress who consistently produce the most Olympians and champions

It wasn't until Shogun went to America to train with Roach that he genuinely started to improve his boxing

That was the first big step Shogun took in genuinely improving his boxing skill

Roach really kick started Shogun's improvements, and I'm really happy for that

Every one thinks Volkan is just going to run through Shogun.

When he's trying to walk down behind his jab and work off his jab, those will be countless countering opportunities for Shogun right there (he destroyed Villante countering off his jab)

Volkan is a great combination puncher, but Shogun can now do a great job of avoiding/covering up and countering inbetween shots/combos

If Volkan chases Shogun like he does every one else, Shogun can absolutely get Volkan coming into a counter

This is just as much a dangerous fight for Volkan (if Shogun is on point, disciplined, and ready)

I understand why people sleep on Shogun.

Before this winning streak he was very inconsistent,

But when Shogun is on - he's on, and especially now since he's improved his boxing to a level that it was never at before

Thats the reason why Shogun is on this 4 fight winning streak.

Because he made a genuine effort to evolve his game and he dramatically improved everything about his boxing, from his footwork, to utilizing his jab/working behind his jab to cover ground, to feinting opponents out, to his defense etc

War Shogun baby!

2018/2019 Shogun champion again warwagon campaign. I BELIEVE
<mma4>

Timing>>>>speed

Efficiency/pacing>>>stamina/endurance
Sure, as evidenced by the fact that most fighters do much better at 40 than 30...

There are pros and cons to aging.

I think most can agree that 2005 Shogun is still best Shogun. His explosiveness and kicks were too much to lose.

Edit: Shogun will beat Volkan btw.

If he had his boxing skills while in his prime he would of been a threat to jones imo. But you could argue he never would of developed that aspect of his game if he didn’t lose that explosive kicking ability.
100% spot on my brother

The silver lining is everything happens for a reason

Sure, as evidenced by the fact that most fighters do much better at 40 than 30...
Thats a extreme example though lol

Take two 25 year olds

The 25 year old with the better timing and better efficiency of energy is going to dominate the fight 10 out of 10 times

Last edited:
Dude... shogun was getting outboxed by Lil Nog in their rematch (part of his streak) and he had to panicwrestle for his life.
This is objectively and patently false

Lil Nog rocked Shogun in the first

Aside from that Shogun OUTCLASSED Nog in ever aspect of MMA and dominated that fight on the feet and on the ground. If I'm not mistaken was 29-28 across the board. Shogun easily won the last 2 rounds

In fact, I may do a breakdown of that fight

Hell yes my brother !

War Shogun for life

Btw, what ever happened to that large thread with Eduardo?

I'm not sure. Eduardo did post in a Maia thread not too long ago, but he's not a active on here as he used to be.

Shogun is definitely crafty. He may be physically declining, but he has such a wide arsenal he can still put a lot of damage on a lot of guys. Volkan definitely wants to keep his chin tucked engaging on shogun.

Tapped to strikes against Jones, tapped to submission against Chael.

Tapped to strikes against Jones, tapped to submission against Chael.
Those don't matter in the eyes of any true MMA fan. It's like bringing a loaded gun to a fist fight.

Because Jones and Chael are both performance-enhancement-drug-using cowards and have been convicted for the cheating.

Doesn't count one bit.

Those don't matter in the eyes of any true MMA fan. It's like bringing a loaded gun to a fist fight.

Because Jones and Chael are both performance-enhancement-drug-using cowards and have been convicted for the cheating.

Doesn't count one bit.

I tend to agree with you. Cheaters ought not ever get hespect.

That being said, Chael choking out lhw goat and fantastic boxer and bjj silver belt in shogun looks bad for shogun.

I tend to agree with you. Cheaters ought not ever get hespect.

That being said, Chael choking out lhw goat and fantastic boxer and bjj silver belt in shogun looks bad for shogun.
Fluke win by a convicted PED user bro. Shogun puts him to sleep in rematch.

And if Chael had the guts to not be a PED user, imagine what Shogun does to him? LOL.

Fluke win by a convicted PED user bro. Shogun puts him to sleep in rematch.

And if Chael had the guts to not be a PED user, imagine what Shogun does to him? LOL.

Last a few rounds?

And what mean fluke? Shogun tripped over his own feet and unfortunately landed in a choke while chael was watching the jumbotron?

You think chael koes him in the first?

You might be right.
Nope. You clearly were referring to the PED using Chael.

Chael goes to sleep in round 1 if he's off PEDs and had honour to fight all his life without PEDs.

Once a cheater, forever a cheater.

Back