PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Does anyone have experience with G. Skill's RMA service?

I had to send that RX470 I bough in for RMA, and this is what they offered me.
IQWzhmo.png

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but has anybody noticed the fantastic new "FPS" section over at UserBenchmark?
http://www.userbenchmark.com/Search?searchTerm=FPS

(a) First you choose from one of 239 different games.

(b) Then you filter:
  1. Graphics Setting
    1. Low
    2. Medium
    3. High
    4. Max
  2. Resolution
    1. 720p
    2. 1080p
    3. 1440p
    4. 4K
(c) Finally, it lets you select a CPU + GPU combination.

From these, it estimates your FPS based actual scores for those games with that processor combination for the settings you selected. Right now you can see that the market is incredibly thin on 4K samples, but they're building the reservoir. This is going to be the benchmark database to end all other benchmark databases: one database to rule them all. No more theory.

They need to add Fortnite. That game is kind of a big deal.

landscape-1454683543-movie-anchorman-2-drake.jpg

*Edit*
There are 239 total games, not 9 games, that have been benchmarked.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but has anybody noticed the fantastic new "FPS" section over at UserBenchmark?

(a) First you choose from one of 9 different games:
  1. CS:GO
  2. Overwatch
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. League of Legends
  5. Battlefield 1
  6. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  8. Dota 2
  9. Battlefield 4
(b) Then you filter:
  1. Graphics Setting
    1. Low
    2. Medium
    3. High
    4. Max
  2. Resolution
    1. 720p
    2. 1080p
    3. 1440p
    4. 4K

From these, it estimates your FPS based on system benchmarks for those games with that processor combination for the game/settings you selected. Right now you can see that the market is incredibly thin on 4K samples, but they're building the reservoir. This is going to be the benchmark database to end all other benchmark databases: one database to rule them all. No more theory.

<mma4>

(a) First you choose from one of 9 different games:
  1. CS:GO
  2. Overwatch
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. League of Legends
  5. Battlefield 1
  6. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  8. Dota 2
  9. Battlefield 4
(b) Then you filter:
  1. Graphics Setting
    1. Low
    2. Medium
    3. High
    4. Max
  2. Resolution
    1. 720p
    2. 1080p
    3. 1440p
    4. 4K

From these, it estimates your FPS based on system benchmarks for those games with that processor combination for the game/settings you selected. Right now you can see that the market is incredibly thin on 4K samples, but they're building the reservoir. This is going to be the benchmark database to end all other benchmark databases: one database to rule them all. No more theory.

It seems to be fairly accurate. Which is surprising since they are getting the data simply by asking people what they are getting in those games for FPS.

It seems to be fairly accurate. Which is surprising since they are getting the data simply by asking people what they are getting in those games for FPS.
Huh? I don't get a result if I try to choose a CPU + GPU combination for a game when a benchmark sample doesn't exist. For example, if I choose "Overwatch", before I've filtered for anything else, I can see that there have been 2,598x GTX 1070s benchmarked, then 2,471x GTX 1060 6GBs benchmarked, etc. These are based on actual benchmark results for Users who ran their latest suite, I'm guessing.

This has the tangential benefit of giving us even more hardware usage information than the Steam store itself. For example, I can see that 89% of GTX 1060 6GB Overwatch gamers from above are gaming @1080p. I can also see that, despite the 1060 cards being the most popular two gaming cards out, right now, that there are even more GTX 1070 users populating Overwatch than GTX 1060 users. Of course, we can't control that this is a self-selecting population who seek out and benchmark their hardware of their own volition, but it's tough to predict how (or if) that will skew the hardware profile of the tested population.

Also, I was wrong. It isn't limited to 9 games. Those are just the 9 shown on the homepage because they have the most total benchmark samples. There are 239 total games with samples in the database so far.

Huh? I don't get a result if I try to choose a CPU + GPU combination for a game when a benchmark sample doesn't exist. For example, if I choose "Overwatch", before I've filtered for anything else, I can see that there have been 2,598x GTX 1070s benchmarked, then 2,471x GTX 1060 6GBs benchmarked, etc. These are based on actual benchmark results for Users who ran their latest suite, I'm guessing.

This has the tangential benefit of giving us even more hardware usage information than the Steam store itself. For example, I can see that 89% of GTX 1060 6GB Overwatch gamers from above are gaming @1080p. I can also see that, despite the 1060 cards being the most popular two gaming cards out, right now, that there are even more GTX 1070 users populating Overwatch than GTX 1060 users. Of course, we can't control that this is a self-selecting population who seek out and benchmark their hardware of their own volition, but it's tough to predict how (or if) that will skew the hardware profile of the tested population.

Also, I was wrong. It isn't limited to 9 games. Those are just the 9 shown on the homepage because they have the most total benchmark samples. There are 239 total games with samples in the database so far.
Game Debate has had that system for awhile now. I did some testing with a RX460 and they were really close.

Sort of. After you run the benchmark test you have the option of manually inputting information on those games, your settings and the FPS you get. That info that you give them get tied to the system you just benchmarked. You can submit any number you want for any game, even one you have never played.

Game Debate has had that system for awhile now. I did some testing with a RX460 and they were really close.
I wasn't aware Game Debate had this. I knew about their website, but I don't spend much time there, and it certainly has grown quite a bit since I last perused it. Still, I'm not seeing this feature.

I see the ability to select your CPU/GPU/RAM, and then it presents you with a filtration system that shows whether or not your system meets the demand (drawn as a line), with each processing component shown as a horizontal bar stretching out towards this line; this way, you can tell if it is the CPU/GPU/RAM bottlenecking you from meeting the demand. The line can be altered to represent different resolutions or settings, but it doesn't even specify exactly what it represents. The UserBenchmark page spits out the average FPS for a given game at a given resolution/settings with a given CPU+GPU Combo.

The "average FPS" on GD otherwise appears to be behind a paywall.
Sort of. After you run the benchmark test you have the option of manually inputting information on those games, your settings and the FPS you get. That info that you give them get tied to the system you just benchmarked. You can submit any number you want for any game, even one you have never played.
Ah, so the Honor System.

Not a fan of that.

I wasn't aware Game Debate had this. I knew about their website, but I don't spend much time there, and it certainly has grown quite a bit since I last perused it. Still, I'm not seeing this feature.

I see the ability to select your CPU/GPU/RAM, and then it presents you with a filtration system that shows whether or not your system meets the demand (drawn as a line), with each processing component shown as a horizontal bar stretching out towards this line; this way, you can tell if it is the CPU/GPU/RAM bottlenecking you from meeting the demand. The line can be altered to represent different resolutions or settings, but it doesn't even specify exactly what it represents. The UserBenchmark page spits out the average FPS for a given game at a given resolution/settings with a given CPU+GPU Combo.

The "average FPS" on GD otherwise appears to be behind a paywall.

Ah, so the Honor System.

Not a fan of that.

They used to give out a fps number but then they went to a subscription based service. It's only $10 a year so it's reasonable considering there wasn't anything else out there like it. I'm more than happy to support the devs for as much as I've used it when looking for used hardware.

Holy shit, I can't believe how much video card prices have gone up. I read an article on the 11 series from NVIDIA and I looked up the card I bought almost a year ago, and it has a $200 price increase.

Cards are supposed to get cheaper after a year, not 20% more expensive!

I bought it from EVGA for $780 and now they have it for a whopping $960. Amazon's sellers are all charging a grand.

I guess I won't be going SLI this generation.

Holy shit, I can't believe how much video card prices have gone up. I read an article on the 11 series from NVIDIA and I looked up the card I bought almost a year ago, and it has a $200 price increase.

Cards are supposed to get cheaper after a year, not 20% more expensive!

I bought it from EVGA for $780 and now they have it for a whopping $960. Amazon's sellers are all charging a grand.

I guess I won't be going SLI this generation.
The cheapest GTX 1080 units have been going for $660-$680 starting price, lately, when it debuted at $499 roughly 2 years ago (22 1/2 months).

In the past three generations, at this point in the cycle, the "xx70 Ti" model had supplanted the "xx80" model in terms of market relevance for new units (with its nearly identical performance) with entry models going for around $330-$370.

Asked at my local PC shop for a GTX 1090 Ti.
It wasn't in yet
I presume you mean the 1080 Ti.

Why are you asking about it? Curious about the individual component market? Your rig already has the 7700K + 1080 Ti, correct? Until or unless you start gaming at 1440p Ultrawide or 4K, considering the state of the gaming world right now and how it moves, you won't have to upgrade your rig for over half a decade.

I presume you mean the 1080 Ti.

Why are you asking about it? Curious about the individual component market? Your rig already has the 7700K + 1080 Ti, correct? Until or unless you start gaming at 1440p Ultrawide or 4K, considering the state of the gaming world right now and how it moves, you won't have to upgrade your rig for over half a decade.

Yeah I have that hardware,
I was confusing the guy at the PC shop on purpose.
But he got it eventually.
I wonder how smooth a 1080 Ti really is.
Havent went to the max with it.
Is a 7700K overclocked by Intel or something ?
What is so special about the K version of the 7700 ?

the versions without the k are locked. the k versions can be overclocked.

I'm curious : what happens when you have 2 monitors hooked up and
you start a game. Will the other monitor still show the desktop ?

1080 ti to me is as solid as the GTX 480 when I got it. Meaning, even after a year it is still a straight beast, just like the 480 was.

It is not a 4K killer though. I thought about getting a 2nd for SLI but as I mentioned in my previous post, the 20% price hike is bordering on thievery.

I'm curious : what happens when you have 2 monitors hooked up and
you start a game. Will the other monitor still show the desktop ?
You can set which monitor you want to be your main display. The game will start on that screen.
2016-08-05__114329.jpg

Last edited:
Back