PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Did you try the Seagate tools?

No, i didnt know that was a thing, but its driving me insane and depressing to happen on 2018. all i was doing was transfering shit so i can make space on the main

what exactly will those do?

so i switched the ports.....and it didnt show up in bios

switched to another and it started showing up again...but segate tools wont see it

Still only the bios, its working...not making any sounds of failure....

this is bad all my games, important school files, and music that i transfered over are on that drive.

it only happened as i was transferring files 121 gigs of files since windows 10 fucked my torrents over and then started re-downloading everything again and completely maxed out my main HD

I sometimes have to re-assign a drive letter when I can't see it in Explorer (but I can see it in the bios)

Like @jefferz said, launch disk management (just type disk management into the run section if you can't find the setting in the control panel, and see if Windows had drive space that is unassigned).

The alternative (although you will lose your games, but keep your files/photos), is to launch windows installer and install a new installation on that drive (assuming installer can find it), but don't format the partition. You can then boot into Windows (either the old or new volume) and browse the file structure on the drive, and backup as needed).

I sometimes have to re-assign a drive letter when I can't see it in Explorer (but I can see it in the bios)

Like @jefferz said, launch disk management (just type disk management into the run section if you can't find the setting in the control panel, and see if Windows had drive space that is unassigned).

The alternative (although you will lose your games, but keep your files/photos), is to launch windows installer and install a new installation on that drive (assuming installer can find it), but don't format the partition. You can then boot into Windows (either the old or new volume) and browse the file structure on the drive, and backup as needed).

i might end up taking the drive in to Fry's an have them do a data recovery...

its annoying how HD's are so fucking expensive now.

unknown.png

This is all i got

im gonna unplug this thing and try an make sure it doesnt die any further.

i guess the drive is dying =(

Last edited:
unknown.png

This is all i got

Do you have another system to test it on? You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers. There was just a big windows update, it could have changed your drivers.

Do you have another system to test it on? You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers. There was just a big windows update, it could have changed your drivers.

im getting a encloser to test the drive.

unknown.png

This is all i got

You may have thought of this already, but if you get a new drive up and running, you could try using the old hard drive as a secondary drive then. You might be able copy the data off that drive with it not being the boot drive.

Maybe use one of these or similar. I'm not complete sure if this is the correct adapter. Maybe someone can confirm.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Adapter-Cable-Power/dp/B005B3VO24
If this works, you can possible check the hard drive from any computer.

Just an idea.

You may have thought of this already, but if you get a new drive up and running, you could try using the old hard drive as a secondary drive then. You might be able copy the data off that drive with it not being the boot drive.

Maybe use one of these or similar. I'm not complete sure if this is the correct adapter. Maybe someone can confirm.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Adapter-Cable-Power/dp/B005B3VO24
If this works, you can possible check the hard drive from any computer.

Just an idea.

a friend got me something like that to see if whats up. i owe him big time, so we are about to find out...its currently out of my computer in sitting in my desk.
if it fails im gonna take this thing in and get all my data off

also, whats the most reliable HD? clearly Seagate is shit....

i need something with 3TB or more for the right price

Last edited:
a friend got me something like that to see if whats up. i owe him big time, so we are about to find out...its currently out of my computer in sitting in my desk.
if it fails im gonna take this thing in and get all my data off

also, whats the most reliable HD? clearly Seagate is shit....

i need something with 3TB or more for the right price

Backblaze is a great resource when looking at a 3TB+ HDD. It's a data center that runs over 80k hard drives and they publish their failure rates every quarter.

Backblaze is a great resource when looking at a 3TB+ HDD. It's a data center that runs over 80k hard drives and they publish their failure rates every quarter.

i was just looking at this and apparently Seagate and WD are the most reliable....

*throws my seagate at the ground*

fromw what im seeing i should go WD

i was just looking at this and apparently Seagate and WD are the most reliable....

*throws my seagate at the ground*

fromw what im seeing i should go WD

And the next person will say fuck WD and will only go with Seagate.
WD and Seagate are like Chevy vs Ford. They both usually make great products, but they do produce turds so you have to do your research.

And the next person will say fuck WD and will only go with Seagate.
WD and Seagate are like Chevy vs Ford. They both usually make great products, but they do produce turds so you have to do your research.

any suggestions on drives i should look at? i might need some advise..

<Fedor23>

I haven't used spinning rust in 4 years, I got bit by the SSD bug and I haven't been back. Make sure you get a 7200rpm drive, that's about all I got.

Just get the good ole Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200 RPM (and this is coming from someone who has had a Seagate 7200 RPM since 2008 with no issues yet).

Honestly, I have had every major brand fail on me (mostly external drives) - My Segate lasted less than 3 months, and my WD failed within a year.

Your best bet is to get something that is reasonably priced with good reviews, and then backup important stuff to the cloud. While I know that sucks for gaming, I have had drives fail on me often enough that it isn't worth losing important documents/photos etc. when cloud storage is so cheap.

I work with a bunch of data that is actually super sensitive (mostly corporate and municipal contract data for waste management operations) and if I lose it or accidentally share it, I run the risk of getting sued for breach of NDA. My backup procedure is that every night, I save locally on my main system, mirror that folder onto two backup servers, and then upload to my personal One Drive account (people like to shit on Microsoft, but their cloud system is way less intrusive than Drop Box or Google Drive, and it is integrated seamlessly into Windows).

It seems excessive, but everyone who has tinkered with computers for long enough will have a hard drive (or several) fail on them. For you older guys out there, remember the IBM "Desk Star" , aka "Death Star" Hard Drive (old 80gig IDE drives from 2002/2003). They had a failure rate in excess of 45%, and I remember losing an entire term's worth of notes from my first year of university. That sucked BIG TIME

Back