Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I still use the Antec 300. It's a shame that Antec has went down hill. That era of cases they were innovating and now they're back to making garbage.
Does your htpc board have an RGB controller? It looks like that case doesn't include one.
Tempered glass stuff wouldn't be so bad if they didn't sacrifice cooling to do it. Most tempered glass cases have a solid front panel or very poor front ventilation.

It doesn't - to be honest, I am completely a newbie when it comes to RGB. I didn't even know I needed a controller!

For 99% of my computing life, I cared more about overclocking than looks, so my cases look like a hot mess of modded fans and radiators.

It doesn't - to be honest, I am completely a newbie when it comes to RGB. I didn't even know I needed a controller!

For 99% of my computing life, I cared more about overclocking than looks, so my cases look like a hot mess of modded fans and radiators.

You'll have to do some digging to see if those fans are RGB addressable. If they're addressable, you can do the fancy RGB rainbow lighting like the case fans in this gif:
giphy.gif

If they're not addressable, then you can just change color like this
Gg8LEUJ.gif

If they're not addressable, you can get away with using a controller like this and a power adapter like this. I use that setup for an rgbw strip in a case, I don't see why it wouldn't work on those fans. Only downside is I have to use the controller to change colors, it's not software controlled.
If they are addressable, then it needs a different controller to do all that crazy stuff.
That's about the extent of my RGB knowledge.

Last edited:
So for M-mas my oldest got his Ryzen 3 1200, motherboard and RAM. After some headaches trying to get Windows installed on the old HDD, we finally had to switch it out for a labtop HDD, but the PC is up and running.

I'm a bit jealous as his CPU easily overclocked to 3.6 GHz on stock voltage and beat my i5-4590 Cinebench score.

So for M-mas my oldest got his Ryzen 3 1200, motherboard and RAM. After some headaches trying to get Windows installed on the old HDD, we finally had to switch it out for a labtop HDD, but the PC is up and running.

I'm a bit jealous as his CPU easily overclocked to 3.6 GHz on stock voltage and beat my i5-4590 Cinebench score.
Oh, fuck.

I didn't even think of that. Goddamn. That'd make something I was trying to do way easier.

Newegg has a 120gb HP SSD for $43 if you planned on hooking him up with an SSD. That's the cheapest I've seen in a long time in the 120gb range.

How hard is the laptop trick anyways?

Newegg has a 120gb HP SSD for $43 if you planned on hooking him up with an SSD. That's the cheapest I've seen in a long time in the 120gb range.

Thanks? I have an A-Data 128GB SSD on order for him right now. Even with the crappy HDD and GPU he is still happy as hell.

Not hard as all. Most labtop HDD's had the same SATA ports as full size HDDs.
What I meant was more whether there were problems with swapping a harddrive with windows between entirely different computers.

What I meant was more whether there were problems with swapping a harddrive with windows between entirely different computers.

There can be, but I formatted the drive and did a fresh windows install.

i have a problem guys. so my F drive is showing up in bios, but not when i go into windows and all my games are on there and some incredibly important stuff. any help would be nice

@Quipling You windows key is tied to your motherboard.

i have a problem guys. so my F drive is showing up in bios, but not when i go into windows and all my games are on there and some incredibly important stuff. any help would be nice
Does it show up in Disk Management?

20180101_221742.jpg

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT! i just transferred a bunch of shit over to that 3TB hd!

Back