PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Ordered the 1080ti All-in-one water cooled Hybrid last week. I also went hardcore and painted my ceiling and surrounding walls a flat graphite gray in my basement to reduce the light reflections from my projector. I was seriously considering painting everything dark gray, even the trim and molding but the old lady wasn't having that.

I still need to do something about the white carpet as it reflects a lot of light. I might buy a large dark rug and replace the small one I have currently.

1tQoxzm.jpg

The difference is huge with the dark flat paint. Of course the molding stands the fuck out. What can I do.

lLmfBv5.jpg

I just randomly scrolled down my list of games but right on. Right on.

Hey. I wanted to hook up my PC to my TV today, I had a long HDMI cable throughout the room for it. Once I did, the TV started flickering and audio would get interrupted every few seconds. I tried with a shorter cable and it worked fine.
So like, are these issues with long HDMI cables on 4k displays, I'm not really sure if I can get around this now. I cant use a short cable as my PC isn't anywhere near the TV. I hope the question makes any sense. Really want to play some games on my TV.
HDMI should be good for 35ft without signal loss. My guess would be the cable is bad. Try it with a different device.

Ordered the 1080ti All-in-one water cooled Hybrid last week. I also went hardcore and painted my ceiling and surrounding walls a flat graphite gray in my basement to reduce the light reflections from my projector. I was seriously considering painting everything dark gray, even the trim and molding but the old lady wasn't having that.

I still need to do something about the white carpet as it reflects a lot of light. I might buy a large dark rug and replace the small one I have currently.

1tQoxzm.jpg

The difference is huge with the dark flat paint. Of course the molding stands the fuck out. What can I do.

lLmfBv5.jpg

my penis seriously lost control. And i can tell your did too

Looks like the self-builder market is still getting beat by AIO builds for gamers with modest gaming ambitions such as MMO/eSports gamers. All you need to add to the below is a ($130) GTX 1050 Ti 4GB which is rated to 75W TDP and may draw its power from the motherboard (if reference design).

Acer Aspire Desktop
TC-780-AMZKi5
  • ($450) i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad Core + 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM + 2TB 7200RPM HDD + WiFi/Bluetooth + SD Reader + 8X DVD-RW + Win10 + Keyboard & Mouse
  • ($425) i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad Core + 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM + 2TB 7200RPM HDD + WiFi/Bluetooth + SD Reader + 8X DVD-RW + Win10 + Keyboard & Mouse

Voila. For $580 that is actually a legit gaming PC. There are two more RAM slots, too, so it may be possible to upgrade to 16GB RAM cheaply, although that shouldn't be required for a gaming PC, but it could help extend the life of the unit which already looks to be pretty healthy for a budget build. This build handle will easily handle games like League of Legends, Dota 2, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, Diablo III, CS:GO, Team Fortress 2, SMITE, World of Tanks, and Hearthstone. Titles like GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, DOOM, Rocket League, Battlefield 1, COD: Infinite Warfare, Civilization V, Planetside 2, Warframe, ARK: Survival Evolved and ARMA 3 should all be playable on the highest 1080p settings.

You can see a lot of SP games benched on the 1050 Ti here:

Last edited:
Looks like the self-builder market is still getting beat by AIO builds for gamers with modest gaming ambitions such as MMO/eSports gamers. All you need to add to the below is a ($130) GTX 1050 Ti 4GB which is rated to 75W TDP and may draw its power from the motherboard (if reference design).

Acer Aspire Desktop
TC-780-AMZKi5
  • ($450) i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad Core + 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM + 2TB 7200RPM HDD + WiFi/Bluetooth + SD Reader + 8X DVD-RW + Win10 + Keyboard & Mouse
  • ($425) i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad Core + 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM + 2TB 7200RPM HDD + WiFi/Bluetooth + SD Reader + 8X DVD-RW + Win10 + Keyboard & Mouse

Voila. For $580 that is actually a legit gaming PC. There are two more RAM slots, too, so it may be possible to upgrade to 16GB RAM cheaply, although that shouldn't be required for a gaming PC, but it could help extend the life of the unit which already looks to be pretty healthy for a budget build. This build handle will easily handle games like League of Legends, Dota 2, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, Diablo III, CS:GO, Team Fortress 2, SMITE, World of Tanks, and Hearthstone. Titles like GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, DOOM, Rocket League, Battlefield 1, COD: Infinite Warfare, Civilization V, Planetside 2, and ARMA 3 should all be playable on the highest 1080p settings.

You can build one for about the same price. I'd give up the wifi/blluetooth, crappy peripherals, and sd card reader for the option of being able to add an Optane memory card.
Add Windows 10 for $30 from Kinguin and we're in the same ballpark
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.44 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.77 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax - Ninja II ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.69 @ OutletPC)
Total: $578.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 13:38 EDT-0400

You can build one for about the same price. I'd give up the wifi/blluetooth, crappy peripherals, and sd card reader for the option of being able to add an Optane memory card.
Add Windows 10 for $30 from Kinguin and we're in the same ballpark

Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.44 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.77 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $578.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 13:38 EDT-0400
You've got a RAM stick running in single channel and you haven't been able to supply Windows without hacks. You also haven't supplied Bluetooth or WiFi.

While adding an Optane memory card is cool, that's not what this build is about.

You've got a RAM stick running in single channel and you haven't been able to supply Windows without hacks. You also haven't supplied Bluetooth or WiFi.

While adding an Optane memory card is cool, that's not what this build is about.

This is supposed to be a budget gaming rig, correct?

For 75 cents more than what I posted, you can get a 2x4gb kit
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148858&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Hell, I just got a 2x4gb kit from Jet for $45.88
There's no "hacking" with a key from Kinguin, they're a valid key.
Did you somehow miss the part where I said " I'd give up the wifi/blluetooth". That's me, personally. You can get a Wifi/dongle for dirt cheap. My hard drive is 1tb bigger as well. Would you rather get 1TB more of storage and have to spend $12 on a dongle, or have less storage and built in wifi/bluetooth?
Is that motherboard proprietary? Will you be able to reuse the case? What about the power supply?

Here's a modified list, I dropped down to a H110 board since m.2 ins't important

Motherboard: MSI - H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $557.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 15:17 EDT-0400

Last edited:
This is supposed to be a budget gaming rig, correct?

For 75 cents more than what I posted, you can get a 2x4gb kit
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148858&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Hell, I just got a 2x4gb kit from Jet for $45.88
There's no "hacking" with a key from Kinguin, they're a valid key.
Did you somehow miss the part where I said " I'd give up the wifi/blluetooth". That's me, personally. You can get a Wifi/dongle for dirt cheap. My hard drive is 1tb bigger as well. Would you rather get 1TB more of storage and have to spend $12 on a dongle, or have less storage and built in wifi/bluetooth?
Is that motherboard proprietary? Will you be able to reuse the case? What about the power supply?

Here's a modified list, I dropped down to a H110 board since m.2 ins't important

Motherboard: MSI - H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $557.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 15:17 EDT-0400
You mean the guys that call themselves "Kinguin Mafia"?

You're depending on pirated version of Windows to get to this cost, and you're looking at another $15-$25 for a keyboard and mouse. One can also sacrifice about 6% of the performance here with the i5-6400 while reducing one's cost $25. With the above GPU, you'd be looking at a cost as low as $550-$575 including everything, counting an authentic version of Windows, since some may potentially pay no shipping or tax, and the most complicated thing about the setup would be plugging the GPU into a motherboard. I'm certain many would appreciate the WiFi, Bluetooth, and SD Card reader out of the box for the ability to communicate with their PC using their phone, and also to be able to plug it in anywhere in their house with an outlet without having to worry about running a wire from the router to it. The power of a desktop with the portability of a laptop. Almost zero hassle with assembly. Win win win.

That was the point of my post. It can produce a machine more cheaply for this purpose, and it can. Few will care about recycling motherboards, cases, or power supplies. That also requires hassle. Going your way, you could also potentially throw in a GTX 1060 3GB or RX 570 4GB very quickly without much added cost, since the PSU's could handle it, but obviously I don't want that fight. That's where customization will win the day.

Acer Aspire Desktop
TC-780-AMZKi5

Voila. For $580 that is actually a legit gaming PC. There are two more RAM slots, too, so it may be possible to upgrade to 16GB RAM cheaply, although that shouldn't be required for a gaming PC, but it could help extend the life of the unit which already looks to be pretty healthy for a budget build. This build handle will easily handle games like League of Legends, Dota 2, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, Diablo III, CS:GO, Team Fortress 2, SMITE, World of Tanks, and Hearthstone. Titles like GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, DOOM, Rocket League, Battlefield 1, COD: Infinite Warfare, Civilization V, Planetside 2, Warframe, ARK: Survival Evolved and ARMA 3 should all be playable on the highest 1080p settings.

I like it, and don't at the same time. I think it is perfect for someone with a truly limited budget that is not going to try and upgrade the system past what it is.

On a side note I picked up Cities Skylines on sale for $10 on Saturday....and then lost the next 7 hours. Now excuse me, I have to figure out how to solve my cities traffic problems.

Last edited:
I learned that the motherboard I'm ordering has a built in
modem.
I didn't know that was possible.

Here's some geek stuff

I like it, and don't at the same time. I think it is perfect for someone with a truly limited budget that is not going to try and upgrade the system past what it is.

On a side note I picked up Cities Skylines on sale for $10 on Saturday....and then lost the next 7 hours. Now excuse me, I have to figure out how to solve my cities traffic problems.

lmao welcome to OCD hell

Oh I see, I mean network card.
Yeah, most have at least one. A lot of the higher end boards have 2 connections. The second connection doesn't do shit.
I remember DFI and ECS boards having built in modems back in the early 2000's.

Last edited:
My 1080ti hybrid came in today. Hopefully now I can get the same performance as 980ti SLI but without all the crashes on Windows 10. I have a feeling I will get another one in a year. I don't think the leap from the 900 to the 100 series is nearly as big as we are lead to believe.

It doesn't look as cool as the 980ti did either.
bqTsuWh.jpg

0j96AcK.jpg

It's a terrible option for guys who frequent this thread because squandering the value of one's accrued knowledge is an opportunity cost itself that cannot be overlooked. Nonetheless, for the curious types who poke their heads in, it may not be a bad place to start. Once they realize that plugging a GPU into a motherboard isn't that intimidating...well, who knows.

COMPUTEX STARTS IN A WEEK, BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's everyone using for a mouse?
My mouse broke and I'm using a Logitech G500 atm. It feels so weird and the grip is way different. My fingers don't sit far enough ahead on the G500 to register clicks so I'm constantly readjusting. This is my 3rd Mionix Naos in 7000 2 years, the scroll wheel broke on all 3. I'm trying to decide if I want to warranty it again or just say fuck it and to try a different one.

It's a terrible option for guys who frequent this thread because squandering the value of one's accrued knowledge is an opportunity cost itself that cannot be overlooked. Nonetheless, for the curious types who poke their heads in, it may not be a bad place to start. Once they realize that plugging a GPU into a motherboard isn't that intimidating...well, who knows.

COMPUTEX STARTS IN A WEEK, BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's so many things that I'm looking forward too. Vega, Nvidia's next gen, AMD announcing better ram compatibility for Zen, new cases, etc.

Last edited:
My 1080ti hybrid came in today. Hopefully now I can get the same performance as 980ti SLI but without all the crashes on Windows 10. I have a feeling I will get another one in a year. I don't think the leap from the 900 to the 100 series is nearly as big as we are lead to believe.

It doesn't look as cool as the 980ti did either.
bqTsuWh.jpg

0j96AcK.jpg

not gonna lie, i have a semi boner for that 1080ti hybrid. your case looks cramped =/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back