SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 124 - The General

Will watch this by Monday and give my thoughts :)

Plays out kinda like a live action cartoon mixed with Mad Max: Fury Road- a fun combo that never wears out it's welcome over the course of 78 minutes. Just like Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton is a charming lead oozing with charisma and personality, and one who I couldn't help but root for as he bumbles around trying to save the girl he's in love with while simultaneously, and unintentionally, helping fight the civil war. The pervasive irony of watching Keaton help the south by happenstance is consistently entertaining and witty, and the stunt work is still very impressive by today's standards (had me constantly wondering how many of the sequences were filmed in 1926).

Even if silent slapstick humor is not your thing, it's hard not to at least admire the craftsmanship on display here. They really don't make them like this anymore.

I had low expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I'm growing as a movie viewer, thanks to the prestigious SMC. This was my first foray into a Buster Keaton flick, but he seems to have a knack for combining suspense and humor, and in a very clever way. I can't imagine how difficult it was in that era to conceptualize some of the scenes he pulled off. Also, dude must have been in pretty good shape to manage the stunt work and the exertion required for his part. Hat's off to him.

Don't have much to add about the story that hasn't already been said, except, of course his damn girlfriend told him he's not getting any unless he ENLISTS and risks his life in a war. Typical female! Once again proving the truism:

tumblr_makgdjXWj31ra43v0o1_500.gif

To show Keaton’s diversity as film maker I recommend my personal favourite two-reeler The Playhouse:

I think this is one of the most wonderfully surreal movies ever.

Just finished it, really good! I have no problem with silent films, but most I have seen are 'serious' ones. This was nice and light-hearted, with some surprisingly good action sequences for any time period, let alone 1926! First Buster Keaton film I had ever seen. Not a fan of slapstick humour either, but this was a nice mixture of suspense and comedy as some other guys have said. Obviously not the sort of film to analyse in depth, just a pleasant viewing experience. I think the length of the film helped, it was nice and brisk, didn't overstay it's welcome.

And he gets the girl in the end, even better. :D

Cheering for the southern army felt a bit weird though lol.

The only negative thing I can think of to say right now is the typical happy ending love story. "There's a man, and there's a woman. They love each other and everything worked out. The end." It feels rather forced for this movie because Keaton's girlfriend doesn't even want to be with him unless he's a soldier, which comes off as petty, and then during the whole chase back, Keaton seems rather annoyed and frustrated with her, and I never get a sense that he actually likes her. Why exactly do they love each other? Oh, because the story demands it, and ain't it so nice to have an ultra happy ending? Regardless, his frustrations paid out well for comedy sake.

I was actually quite entertained by the interactions between them. He came across as exasperated more than anything else. I thought she was a remarkably helpful sidekick considering everything she helped him do. I was amused when he shook her and then kissed her. It wouldn't be funny in a modern setting, but in this film it worked for me. Also when she carefully put everything he handed her in the furnace. I also was totally amused when she threw away the log coz it didn't meet muster as it had a hole in it. I didn't like the aspect of her insisting on him joining the army. It felt forced and stereotypical. Otherwise though, I found them to be quite cute.

Indeed, it's very simple, but the simplicity works for this movie. The film is more of a spectacle than it's trying to be some deep thinker because well, it's a visual comedy. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I don't know that much about films that are this old. Did they make deep, thought provoking films back then? I guess it had the level of depth I would have expected of a silent comedy.

Okay this movie was cool as f***

It kept my attention from the start, which I wasn't sure it would since it's a silent film and I have the attention span of a child. But as someone who loves trains, i found it very enjoyable and easy to watch :D

Already a few funny parts early on. The part when he's sitting on the side of that old train killed me.

View attachment 439311
View attachment 439313

This train chase is unreal! Really good action and I honestly really like that it's a silent film. Crazy that this was inspired by a true event.

Background music is good as well. Fitting to the atmosphere.

This scene gave me all the anxiety:

View attachment 439315

My friend is a conductor for the railway I'm sure he would appreciate this.
My friends and I go and watch trains regularly.

This burning train scene is awesome.

View attachment 439319

No way he goes unnoticed under that table behind enemy lines. It's just not possible.

Side Note: I like that this is in black and white.
And the noise it makes when he konks the guards.

It's cool that he starred in and co-directed this movie
Reminded me of Birdman since we watched that recently and his character was doing that with the play.

Wet train lady is definitely falling for him on this escape adventure.
That pine cone that woke him up is enormous.
I've never seen a pine cone that large.

I like how he snuck her in the bag.
He Bruce Lee'd the f*** out those mens holy shit!

Disconnecting the power line with the train. I like.

Some pretty cool stunts in this old flick.

Wood the wet train kindapped lady.
Aaaand by wood I meant wood respect & appreciate.. going to such extraordinary lengths to save her such as in this film, if necessary.
(forgot there are girls in here)

<{ByeHomer}>

I'm enjoying this little game of cat and mouse.
It's like the tom and jerry of silent black and white train movies.

MCMC_1010_71.jpg

I didn't expect to enjoy a movie from 1926 this much.
Who nominated this again? Hespek.

Dropping huge boxes on the track.
Feels like Mario Kart: Black and white silent train edition 1926.
(I apologize for my stupid commentary) :D

Chase coming to a head now. They're catching up! Shiieet.
My mans always one step ahead though, separated the boxcar.

The part when they're burning the railway tracks.
So metal
View attachment 439323

I can appreciate the raw story telling here.
Especially in todays age when everything is a remake of a remake, thrown together with a few huge names and a hollywood budget. No real story telling ability. No real substance. This movie is light and fun but action packed as well.
And do movies even need talking? Or Color? I mean, really.

Lookin like a war bout to go down. Conor vs Khabib style.

"Yeah that bridge should be fine"

View attachment 439321

<36>

I feel bad for the horses :(
They didn't ask for this war.
Some cool shots of the battle though.

Accidentally kills their shooter AND floods them out
<mma4>

Aw happy ending

<{1-7}>

Overall, a good watch and an enjoyable experience.
Would reccommend.
This has been idiotic commentary with @FrontNakedChoke

Bless you all.

LOL! You are giving @Cubo de Sangre a run for his money. Me thinks there was some drinking involved. I'm impressed with the length of your comments. Almost as long as the movie.

I too was very pleasantly surprised.

This was me during last weeks flick:

giphy.gif

And this was me this week:

giphy.gif

Hahaha I’m glad someone enjoyed it! Anxiety has held me back from participating more in the past. Making more of an effort to contribute anyways.

I'm glad you did :)

Not to be nosey or up in your bidness, but how come? I don't frequent the rest of the board, so I can't speak for anything that happens in the wilds of Sherdog, but I have found this club to be accepting and kind, even when folks disagree... Honestly, as the only girl I was a lil nervous early on, but now I can say I find participating to be chill and fun and I enjoy my interactions.

She has no discernible traits other than she's a woman, so I guess we have to take Keaton's face value of he's a man, and she's a woman, and since they are attracted to each other, they'll fall in love happily ever after. I suppose chalk it up to social mores of the period that a woman in a movie is nothing more than a device to propel the man's adventure, and to look pleasing.
giphy.gif

Even if silent slapstick humor is not your thing, it's hard not to at least admire the craftsmanship on display here. They really don't make them like this anymore.

I was super impressed with how well it has stood up to the test of time. I was entertained, I laughed a lot, and I am happy to have watched it. I noticed how long a lot of the shots were and I was amazed at Keaton's consistency and athleticism in his physical comedy. It made me wonder how many retakes they averaged. I also would be curious to know what kind of toll it took on his body.

Don't have much to add about the story that hasn't already been said, except, of course his damn girlfriend told him he's not getting any unless he ENLISTS and risks his life in a war. Typical female! Once again proving the truism:

tumblr_makgdjXWj31ra43v0o1_500.gif

I did not know this!!! I have not been cashing in. Can you help a girl out and tell me how to get me some of this rake?

Nice job @Yotsuya! I really enjoyed this flick. Thank you. I could watch Keaton bumble around all day. His athleticism is amazing. I especially like the way he would throw himself into a scene. It was like his feet arrived first and then his upper body would eventually catch up. Some of the shots were so long and he accomplished so much in them, on a moving train. Truly impressive work. And I am also a fan of how stoic he always looked. I thought it would be corny and silly and instead I was very, very entertained.

Funny how it does not quite even feel like something one should have opinion about, because Buster Keaton so perfectly pulls this rabbit of a movie from his hat. It’s like a dream, where you end up fighting for the south and somehow it’s just part of the logic of the dream. It makes perfect sense that moment and makes the dream in whole even a little bit weirder.

Also I think The General is first and foremost movie about a guy who does not look like the part of a chivalrous southern gentleman, but ends up doing the chivalrous deeds because he’s got tons of heart.

LOL! You are giving @Cubo de Sangre a run for his money. Me thinks there was some drinking involved. I'm impressed with the length of your comments. Almost as long as the movie.

No drinking, surprisingly.

Smoking, perhaps.

I'm glad you did :)

Not to be nosey or up in your bidness, but how come? I don't frequent the rest of the board, so I can't speak for anything that happens in the wilds of Sherdog, but I have found this club to be accepting and kind, even when folks disagree... Honestly, as the only girl I was a lil nervous early on, but now I can say I find participating to be chill and fun and I enjoy my interactions.

Oh yes, absolutely. Just my own anxiety. Not based on anything from anyone here.

The SMC is comprised of only the finest ladies and gentlemen.

You can't go chasing ladies when you're dead.

Dude the entire freaking horror genre is built around chasing ladies when you're dead!:p

giphy.gif

She has no discernible traits other than she's a woman,

Well, I guess her discernable trait is that she's cutesy. She's even introduced stalking him as he makes his way to her frontdoor just so that she can surprise him. Her character is basically baked-into whatever quick, visual gags they could think up for her.

But I think it's also just part of the very speedy, bare-bones nature of the story. Plenty of people have pointed out how this film just skips along at a breath-neck pace. Obviously, that's very much by design. Had they given her and Keaton backstory or personality, all that tempo would have been lost.

Yeah. Southern Revivalism was scary huge back then. I mean, it was a major theme of Gone with the Wind and that movie held the box-office record for like half a decade. Though, at least Keaton had the good sense to not make his character a KKK-member like Gone with the Wind or Birth of a Nation. I think he was more after the idea that he's fighting on the losing, underdog side of the war.

According to Wikipedia, one of the reasons the film got such a lukewarm reception was that it made Comedy out of the Civil War. People just thought it was to serious a topic to make humour out of back then.

I did not know this!!! I have not been cashing in. Can you help a girl out and tell me how to get me some of this rake?

Have you tried being evil, Tufts?

source.gif

And I am also a fan of how stoic he always looked

Pretty much Keaton's trademark.

tenor.gif

I too was very pleasantly surprised.

The theme of this entire week, it seems. Everyone is plesantly suprised.:D

Last edited:
Back