SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 124 - The General

Had they given her and Keaton backstory or personality, all that tempo would have been lost.
Maybe it’s more like that people back then were so familiar with the ideas that Keaton was playing with, that for example the personality of the character was pretty clear for everyone. Keaton had been doing variations of this simpleton character in several movies, so people knew it already very well. All he needed to do, is to finetune the character for the setting and let him loose. For me the character seemed familiar, likable and full of personality from the start.

Southern Revivalism was scary huge back then. I mean, it was a major theme of Gone with the Wind and that movie held the box-office record for like half a decade. Though, at least Keaton had the good sense to not make his character a KKK-member like Gone with the Wind or Birth of a Nation.I think he was more after the idea that he's fighting on the losing, underdog side of the war.
I think he was playing with the idea how this geeky character would do in the macho militaristic world of traditionalist south and win over the girl.

Btw, Orson Welles called The General the greatest movie made about American Civil War.

Last edited:
And I am also a fan of how stoic he always looked. I thought it would be corny and silly and instead I was very, very entertained.
Heh, I suppose when people think about silent comedies the first image that come to their head is something like this
giphy.gif

and not like this
Uw1D.gif

I was super impressed with how well it has stood up to the test of time. I was entertained, I laughed a lot, and I am happy to have watched it. I noticed how long a lot of the shots were and I was amazed at Keaton's consistency and athleticism in his physical comedy. It made me wonder how many retakes they averaged. I also would be curious to know what kind of toll it took on his body.
Keaton was used of getting a bit busted up for his art. He was from a varietee family and was passionate to perform with his parents on stage since very young age. There was a child labour protection law in US which forbid minors of certain age to perform acrobatics. This resulted that Keaton specialized in numbers in which he fell down the stairs or stumbled on a broomstick or stepped on a rake or anything, which did not involve actual acrobatics, but allowed him to use his uncanny sense of physical comedy. That's what got him the nick name Buster.

I was actually quite entertained by the interactions between them. He came across as exasperated more than anything else. I thought she was a remarkably helpful sidekick considering everything she helped him do. I was amused when he shook her and then kissed her. It wouldn't be funny in a modern setting, but in this film it worked for me. Also when she carefully put everything he handed her in the furnace. I also was totally amused when she threw away the log coz it didn't meet muster as it had a hole in it. I didn't like the aspect of her insisting on him joining the army. It felt forced and stereotypical. Otherwise though, I found them to be quite cute.

Yeah, the interactions between them were funny. I liked those as well. My comment on them being this passionate loving couple grounded on a thin surface is more of a jab at movie conventions in general. This doesn’t sully the movie for me because the driving force of the film is to be a spectacle and be humorous, which it achieves both. I felt like I had to throw in a negative comment in my original post just to even it out a bit, but it’s really more of a nitpick than anything truly detrimental.

I don't know that much about films that are this old. Did they make deep, thought provoking films back then?

Check out The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Lots of expressionism and themes relating to tyranny.

Dude the entire freaking horror genre is built around chasing ladies when you're dead!:p

giphy.gif

Haha, very good.

But I think it's also just part of the very speedy, bare-bones nature of the story. Plenty of people have pointed out how this film just skips along at a breath-neck pace. Obviously, that's very much by design. Had they given her and Keaton backstory or personality, all that tempo would have been lost.

I agree with this, the action and comedy control the show, but maybe it’s just me being bored by cliches or just being cynical because I don’t feel the, “Aw, isn’t that cute?” feeling of seeing them smooch at the end. Instead I think, “As expected, this dynamic played out in full convenience.” Come to think of it, when this movie came out, would this have been a film cliche by this point? What I really need is someone to rip this cold, black heart out of my chest and replace it with something sweet. Maybe ice cream cake. Mmmm...ice cream cake...*drools*

Did they make deep, thought provoking films back then?
There are beautifully crafted, deep character portraits like Dreyer's Passion of Joan d'Arc and Michael, extremely dark melodramas like Tod Browning's The Unknown or Josef von Sternberg's The Last Command and just pure drama movie masterpieces like Murnau's The Sunrise.

I did not know this!!! I have not been cashing in. Can you help a girl out and tell me how to get me some of this rake?
You're a chick, you've already got everything you need. That's all I can say without betraying my team :)

There are beautifully crafted, deep character portraits like Dreyer's Passion of Joan d'Arc and Michael, extremely dark melodramas like Tod Browning's The Unknown or Josef von Sternberg's The Last Command and just pure drama movie masterpieces like Murnau's The Sunrise.

{<redford}

Heh, I suppose when people think about silent comedies the first image that come to their head is something like this
giphy.gif

and not like this
Uw1D.gif

His stoic look was so incongruous with his behavior. It just slew me!

I agree with this, the action and comedy control the show, but maybe it’s just me being bored by cliches or just being cynical because I don’t feel the, “Aw, isn’t that cute?” feeling of seeing them smooch at the end. Instead I think, “As expected, this dynamic played out in full convenience.” Come to think of it, when this movie came out, would this have been a film cliche by this point? What I really need is someone to rip this cold, black heart out of my chest and replace it with something sweet. Maybe ice cream cake. Mmmm...ice cream cake...*drools*

Ha! I had just decided to get myself an ice cream cake for my birthday on Sunday!

giphy.gif

Awesome. Thank you. I had no idea.....

Thanks! Good stuff. I agree with the final statement, that Keaton has not been surpassed as comedy film maker by people who are imitating him. He beats Jackie Chan for example hands down with the stoism (vs. clowning) and Wes Anderson (of Grand Hotel Budapest -era) with spontaneity (vs. extreme discipline).

Boring, black and white is lame, and no one speaks. Weak. 3/10.

Could you imagine? Anyway, The General is the quintessential Buster Keaton film and one of the mandatory films I point to when describing why the silent film era was so important.

When I think of films like these, I try to think of the era in which they were created. This piece of work came out 92 years ago. I only know a handful of people that were around when this film was released. I can't imagine the difficulties they had to go through to acquire the materials to make this film authentic to Civil War times. Sure, people were still alive that had fought in the Civil War when this came out, although it was 60 years prior to this film's release, but it likely took no small amount of work to make this up to par.

Buster Keaton will always be funny to me. For instance, his deadpanned line of "if you lose this war, don't blame me" after being thrown out of the office is just great for some reason. I like to imagine that audiences burst into laughter, but given the lack of commercial success I'm not so sure they did. Was Keaton ahead of his time? Vaudeville was quite popular back then so there were tons of performances, although maybe it's just that the cinema industry was still a little behind the times? I didn't look into it far enough.

Even though this was filmed in Oregon, it taking place in Marietta, GA made me happy because I have a lot of family from there. I wonder how accurate the filming location was compared to 1925 Marietta.

I would hate for those who saw The General now to compare it to films from this era, because this was groundbreaking stuff when it came out. A lot of it is simple slapstick, but I was raised with the Three Stooges and Looney Tunes so this is proto-all of that. You can feel that the creators of those works watched these films and took notes at what jokes and stunts landed. Packing the cannon with the whole can of gunpowder and a couple cannonballs, all while getting stuck on the train car and chain, and then the cannon aims directly at his train - it's classic stuff. I feel like I could keep pointing out funny parts but I won't you've all seen this already.

Things feel a lot more authentic in this film and the parts where they take shortcuts are more noticeable, like the shots of the train with a scrolling background instead of actually showing the train moving. But above all, it's simple. Simple can be wonderful, and in this case it most certainly is. Whether it's getting burned by a cigar or falling off something or stealing a wonky bicycle or getting sprayed by a water spout, it's all out in the open. Yotsuya nailed it. There's no trickery here, what you see is exactly what you get. You want action and excitement? You got it. You want a love story of a man trying to win the heart of a woman? Sure. You want some comedy gold? Nailed it. Love it.

This film makes me happy. It's such a huge contrast from last week's Stalker, I love the SMC.

9/10 classic.

Boring, black and white is lame, and no one speaks. Weak. 3/10.
You got me with this for a while.
<HisEye>

Things feel a lot more authentic in this film and the parts where they take shortcuts are more noticeable, like the shots of the train with a scrolling background instead of actually showing the train moving.
Heh, I didn’t notice a thing and was sure it was all authentic.

This film makes me happy.
Me too! I was trying to think which movies these days have the same effect of winning me over with simplicity, action and heart and I could only think of Gravity.

Back