SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 137 movie!

Let's pick the week 137 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

2otejw.jpg

That dastardly Cubo has done it again! He looked at HenryFlower's sleaze-week and thought "yeah, I can top that!" So we have a gore-comedy week ahead of us! In an effort to imitate the experience of going to the video store, he has banned the postings of trailers from this week.

Theme: Side-splitting gore from the video store. No previews. Video boxes only!

BAD TASTE

Director: Peter Jackson

Stars: Terry Potter, Pete O'Herne, Craig Smith

Premise: The population of a small town disappears and is replaced by aliens that chase human flesh for their intergalactic fast-food chain.

Why Cubo picked it: This was chosen because it's the film we need to review. I still vividly recall eyeballing the cover at the video store and knowing it was meant to be (especially since they were having a rent one/get one Sci-fi deal). Took it back to the dorm with my four buddies and threw it on in the lounge. By the end of the film there were 20 people gathered around wondering what the fuck they just saw. At one point in the movie we all laughed so hard at a scene it got rewound and we laughed more. Choose this film, even if you've seen it. It's Peter Jackson making possibly the greatest film of its kind. We owe it to the man.

3ab97f3cc75923eafd3e7092ae792f20.jpg

THE TOXIC AVENGER

Director: Michael Herz, Lloyd Kaufman

Stars: Andree Maranda, Mitch Cohen, Jennifer Babtist

Premise: Tromaville has a monstrous new hero. The Toxic Avenger is born when meek mop boy Melvin falls into a vat of toxic waste. Now evildoers will have a lot to lose.

Why Cubo picked it: I picked this because the rules require four selections and when it came out it was the Mac Daddy of this sort of thing. Those days are gone and this movie doesn't hold up like the other three. Still deserves the nod of a nomination though. This was possibly my favorite poster on the wall as a kid.

500full-the-toxic-avenger----vhs-%5Bimport%5D-cover.jpg

EVIL DEAD 2

Director: Sam Raimi

Stars: Sam Raimi, Scott Spiegel

Premise: The lone survivor of an onslaught of flesh-possessing spirits holes up in a cabin with a group of strangers while the demons continue their attack.

Why Cubo picked it: I picked this because it's the only thing that gives Bad Taste a run for the money. In fact, it's my favorite. But if you want to watch Ash fuck some motherfuckers up then time is better spent watching Ash Vs. The Evil Dead tv series. Seasons 1 and 2 are killer. Gotta watch 3 still. The vibe of the series is most like Evil Dead 2, and while they draw a lot from the film, it still fees fun and fresh. So yeah, don't pick this.

5435297248_9107d6aefb_o.png

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2

Director: Tobe Hooper

Stars: Dennis Hopper, Caroline Williams, Jim Siedow

Premise: A radio host is victimized by the cannibal family as a former Texas Marshall hunts them.

Why Cubo picked it: I have part 1 at the top of my list of most disturbing films ever and will never watch it again (in a good way). However this one is so over the top that it just brings the laughs to go with the squirms. Couldn't get enough of it back in the day. Hooper really upped the game here and it would have gotten an X, so instead it hit theaters unrated. Screwed me out of seeing it on the big screen. Fun fact. I had the cardboard stand-up from the video store in my bedroom. Worked 'em good over the course of months for it. So if you absolutely have to not pick Bad Taste (sigh), then this is the one.

texas+chainsaw+massacre+2+vhs+cover.jpg

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Nailgun @Rimbaud82 @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer @puppybird

The top 5 list this week is movies that have made you cry.

Man, I've seen all these films and they're all a lot of fun. Whoever wins, we win

He looked at HenryFlower's sleaze-week and thought "yeah, I can top that!"

It's been on my list for months. Actually discussed the theme with @sickc0d3r back in August. Although at the time I was leaning towards Braindead over Toxic Avenger.

I love you, @Cubo de Sangre

despite all of the options being great (would have done Braindead over Bad Taste if it was my list, but still can’t complain), I knew exactly which one to pick because the blu will literally be on my doorstep sometime tomorrow afternoon. crazy coincidence/timing.

I love you, @Cubo de Sangre

despite all of the options being great (would have done Braindead over Bad Taste if it was my list, but still can’t complain), I knew exactly which one to pick because the blu will literally be on my doorstep sometime tomorrow afternoon. crazy coincidence/timing.

Ha! Crazy insane.

Having two Jackson films just didn't seem right and I didn't want him competing against himself (so to speak).

Ha! Crazy insane.

Having two Jackson films just didn't seem right and I didn't want him competing against himself (so to speak).
yep I totally get that mindset when it comes to choosing picks. not to give too much away about my pick, but I wouldn’t have voted for either anyways despite loving them because I just rewatched all of Jackson’s early splatstick movies pretty recently.

I just rewatched all of Jackson’s early splatstick movies pretty recently.

After those two plus Meet the Feebles, I found myself sitting in the theater during Heavenly Creatures wondering just what the fuck went wrong. Redeemed himself with The Frighteners, then got all Hollywood and Oscar-y.

After those two plus Meet the Feebles, I found myself sitting in the theater during Heavenly Creatures wondering just what the fuck went wrong. Redeemed himself with The Frighteners, then got all Hollywood and Oscar-y.
I was too young to experience Jackson’s odd career trajectory firsthand (first time I ever heard of him was Fellowship of the Ring, but I do remember always wishing I could rent Bad Taste at the video store), so I was able to just pick & choose my Jackson experience

In no particular order... It can be hard to rank tear jerkers. I've watched all of these multiple times and they have all elicited reactions that ranged from a perfectly dropped tear to an ongoing ugly cry depending on my emotional fortitude on that particular day.

upload_2018-12-12_11-0-27.jpeg
My dad had Alzheimers so this packed a heavy personal punch for me.

images

First love story that grabbed me by the ovaries before I realized I had ovaries.

upload_2018-12-12_11-2-42.jpeg
Friendship, motherhood. Definitely has teared me up multiple times, especially with Middler's vocals guiding the scene.

upload_2018-12-12_11-3-53.jpeg
An another heart wrenching love story. Made me cry so good.

upload_2018-12-12_11-5-53.jpeg
My MA included a section on this book and film. Definitely shed many a tear while rewatching scenes.

Honorable mentions:

upload_2018-12-12_11-8-40.jpeg

upload_2018-12-12_11-9-7.jpeg

upload_2018-12-12_11-10-25.jpeg

I was too young to experience Jackson’s odd career trajectory firsthand (first time I ever heard of him was Fellowship of the Ring, but I do remember always wishing I could rent Bad Taste at the video store), so I was able to just pick & choose my Jackson experience

We definitely come from different perspectives then.

During our early dating period, @Tufts and I saw The Frighteners in the theater. Was totally skeptical after Heavenly Creatures and seeing Michael J. Fox in the lead. Boy, did Fox deliver in the role. Jake Busey was great too. Lots of laughs in that one.

Um, I chose based on a variety of algorithms and statistical analysis that led me to believe it was the most appropriate choice for this week. Movie looks fun, I haven't seen it, let's rock.

Also, I don't cry dammit. But I'll think about it and get back.

I don't cry, wtf is wrong with you people.

If I did cry it would be during these movies.

5. Old Yeller, (1957)
Old+Yeller+%281957%29.jpg

4. Dead Poet's Society (1989)
MV5BMTg1NTc0ODYyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTA5ODg4._V1_.jpg

3. Big Fish (2003)
Big_Fish_movie_poster.png

2. Beaches (1988)
Beaches_vodkeyTT_c.jpg

1. Terms of Endearment (1983)
terms-of-endearment-1983-kat-720p-cover.jpg

Honorable Mentions: Steel Magnolias (1989) and Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
MV5BMTkxMDE1MDY3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTAwNjYxMTE@._V1_.jpg
fried-green-tomatoes.jpg

th

I have three kids, two of which are practically grown now but my daughter made me watch UP and it made me think of another time one of my kids made me watch something that ended up gut punching me. My oldest son used to love the movie My Dog Skip when he was a little boy.

Frankie Muniz plays a boy named Willie that gets a dog named Skip when he's 9 years old. He grows up and moves away to college, leaving an old and tired Skip behind. Skip is still loyal though, sleeping on Willie's bed, even though Willie is gone, for the rest of his life. At the end of the film Willie's father has to go into Willie's old room and lift Skip on to the bed because he's become too old to jump on it anymore. Skip finally dies and is buried under an elm tree but Willie closes the film by saying Skip was buried in his heart.

MV5BMTc1NDgxMjg5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTUxODc5._V1_.jpg

Movies I’m willing to admit to make me cry TOP-1: Fellowship of the Rings. Frodo volunteering to carry the ring to Mordor always gets me.

Last edited:
I chose the wrong week to quit the movie club.

S6ZSJoi.gif

Good week, Cubo.

Man, I've seen all these films and they're all a lot of fun. Whoever wins, we win

Me too. No idea which I'll vote for.

images

First love story that grabbed me by the ovaries before I realized I had ovaries.

Isn't that the movie where the dude becomes so madly in love with the girl that he ends up setting her house on fire and then killing her dad?

It has one of the funnier taglines in movie history though: "He's 17. She's 15. The love every parent fears". Like it's some horror movie or something.:)

I chose the wrong week to quit the movie club.

S6ZSJoi.gif

Good week, Cubo.

muntjac week 137
RequiredSpryHen-max-1mb.gif

I was going to ask him if he included Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 just to torture you, since as we all know, you are the only sentient being on earth who actually likes that movie. However, since it's Cubo, I didn't bother asking since that was obviously the case all along.:cool:

Isn't that the movie where the dude becomes so madly in love with the girl that he ends up setting her house on fire and then killing her dad?

It has one of the funnier taglines in movie history though: "He's 17. She's 15. The love every parent fears". Like it's some horror movie or something.:)

I haven't seen it but I've seen the Snob review it (Any Cinema Snob fans ITT?). The tagline doesn't really work, because at one point Brooke Shields' mum walks in and catches the dude banging her daughter. Then she just sits there and watches them bang like 'aw'. Then later on she's talking to the dude and telling him she watched him smashing her daughter and was thinking like 'I wish it was me on that dick instead'. White people smh

Back